(WVA) [Huntington] Heritage Village could benefit from Pullman Square

seicer

http://www.heralddispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS01/608060348

SLC: Heritage Village has several unique shops and the Boston Beanery is an excellent dining establishment. It has been, however, rather unconnected to the rest of the downtown and the riverfront. The main shopping corridor, pre Pullman Square, was along 4th Avenue, not 3rd Avenue or along Veterans Memorial Blvd. (bypass US 60). Today, it is along 3rd and 4th Avenue, but Veterans Mem. Blvd. still remains ignored because it is not pedestrian friendly and is still unconnected to the riverfront, sans the 10th Street access which is also not pedestrian friendly.

To connect this with downtown, the power substation needs to be relocated to a less public location and the parking lot behind Mack and Daves, along with the power substation lot, needs to be redeveloped for stores and dining/bar establishments.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.heralddispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dl...EWS01/608060348

SLC: Heritage Village has several unique shops and the Boston Beanery is an excellent dining establishment. It has been, however, rather unconnected to the rest of the downtown and the riverfront. The main shopping corridor, pre Pullman Square, was along 4th Avenue, not 3rd Avenue or along Veterans Memorial Blvd. (bypass US 60). Today, it is along 3rd and 4th Avenue, but Veterans Mem. Blvd. still remains ignored because it is not pedestrian friendly and is still unconnected to the riverfront, sans the 10th Street access which is also not pedestrian friendly.

To connect this with downtown, the power substation needs to be relocated to a less public location and the parking lot behind Mack and Daves, along with the power substation lot, needs to be redeveloped for stores and dining/bar establishments.

Diverting the free shuttle over there seems to make the most sense to me. I remember going to Huntington about a year ago and kinda "stumbling" on the Heritage Village (I had lived there about 9 years and never remembered that place!). I don't remember any signage or anything directing the layman there. I love the concept (saving historic buildings for a 2nd use) but the marketing just didn't seem to be there anymore. I also agree that redevelopment towards this area would definitely be a plus but I think that's more of a long-term commitment than the other two ideas I suggested.

EDIT: It was good to see that the paper reported that Pullman Square was getting increased traffic. Is this really the case though (you know how papers can hype things sometimes)?

Diverting the free shuttle over there seems to make the most sense to me. I remember going to Huntington about a year ago and kinda "stumbling" on the Heritage Village (I had lived there about 9 years and never remembered that place!). I don't remember any signage or anything directing the layman there. I love the concept (saving historic buildings for a 2nd use) but the marketing just didn't seem to be there anymore. I also agree that redevelopment towards this area would definitely be a plus but I think that's more of a long-term commitment than the other two ideas I suggested.

EDIT: It was good to see that the paper reported that Pullman Square was getting increased traffic. Is this really the case though (you know how papers can hype things sometimes)?

It's true. See the other article for the specifics, but the restaurants and shops there are all top-performers, some the best in the entire chain. Huntington has been especially open to this development, especially with a younger mayor, something that would have never flown by Mayor Jean Dean (sp?). I remember when people protested the demolition of that nasty Mexican restaurant, which was losing profits and had several health code violations... about how they were losing one of Huntington's "best". Appearantly those people haven't traveled out of the city :sick:

It's true. See the other article for the specifics, but the restaurants and shops there are all top-performers, some the best in the entire chain. Huntington has been especially open to this development, especially with a younger mayor, something that would have never flown by Mayor Jean Dean (sp?). I remember when people protested the demolition of that nasty Mexican restaurant, which was losing profits and had several health code violations... about how they were losing one of Huntington's "best". Appearantly those people haven't traveled out of the city :sick:

Hey now! I REALLY miss Chi-Chis!!! :D I grew up going there alot, lol. But I'm sure this is a higher and better use of the area since that was a little piece of suburbia right downtown, lol. Are there many renovations of historic buildings going on currents?

Hey now! I REALLY miss Chi-Chis!!! :D I grew up going there alot, lol. But I'm sure this is a higher and better use of the area since that was a little piece of suburbia right downtown, lol. Are there many renovations of historic buildings going on currents?

Let's just say the entire 9th-10th Street block along 3rd Avenue is either under renovations or has been renovated. One ugly facade was completely removed a few weeks ago and you could see inside the building. That was a treat to see! Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera, but it was on HuntingtonNews.net.

This is great to see. I didn't get past 16th Street going west, so I didn't get to see much of what's taking palce in Huntington. There is so much more that Huntington can do to revitalize and so much more that this city can become. It is definitely a jewel in the rough along the Ohio River. :shades:

Archived