So......

Fallingwater

....... has Medical Center Pkwy. alleviated traffic on Old Fort Pkwy like we were told? Seems like it has served to only INCREASE traffic on Thompson Lane between Medical Center Pkwy. and Old Fort Pkwy.

I think the worst traffic congestion problem on Old Fort Pkwy. has always been at the corner of Old Fort and Thompson Lane. Unfortunately, Medical Center Pkwy. does not solve the problem (insofar as I can see) of getting to the ever increasing popularity of the Cason Lane area. One still needs to go through that intersection on Old Fort to get to Cason Lane and the theatre and shops around there.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and it seems like they just want to keep building strip malls all the way down Old Fort past 24.

Mhmm. I think it's nice that more restaurants are coming though, besides the usual chains. Even if they are strip malls that corridor has taken quite some time to fill up. With the Publix coming next year and more homes, it should fill in nicely.

LOL!!!

I'd be genuinely curious to hear your remarks on the topic, Lexy. Which part of Fallingwater's post did you find funny?

I guess as far as Medical Center Parkway is concerned, the question is: In what way was it intended to draw traffic off of Old Fort Parkway? Clearly those who live out at Cason Lane, St. Andrews, etc. are still going to depend upon Old Fort and exits 78 A and B. Given that I live very close to Medical Center Parkway, I have only infrequent need of Old Fort. Where it should really begin to make a difference is in traffic comming off of I-24 from other places. As more and more development occurs in that direction, it may well entice more people to get off there versus Old Fort. Once the hospital is built in the Gateway and those empty office buildings fill in with medical tenants, Medical Center Parkway is likely going to be a busy road.

Edited by Relient J

I'd be genuinely curious to hear your remarks on the topic, Lexy. Which part of Fallingwater's post did you find funny?

I guess as far as Medical Center Parkway is concerned, the question is: In what way was it intended to draw traffic off of Old Fort Parkway? Clearly those who live out at Cason Lane, St. Andrews, etc. are still going to depend upon Old Fort and exits 78 A and B. Given that I live very close to Medical Center Parkway, I have only infrequent need of Old Fort. Where it should really begin to make a difference is in traffic comming off of I-24 from other places. As more and more development occurs in that direction, it may well entice more people to get off there versus Old Fort. Once the hospital is built in the Gateway and those empty office buildings fill in with medical tenants, Medical Center Parkway is likely going to be a busy road.

All of it. Because when they presented the plans for this, they made it out to be a way to divert traffic from Old Fort Parkway. Again, this shows the lack of common sense our "planners" have in this town. It's laughable. :rofl:

It's just gonna get worse and worse and then ten years from now, people will be grumbling about the traffic on BOTH!! But hey, you make the bed people. Now sleep in it. By that time, i'll be out of this hole of a city (thank God!).

^ As always, thanks for giving your honest feedback.

I tend to agree with Lexy and the points he made. I do not recall what the city planners said with respect to the building of Medical Center Pkwy. but the DNJ quoted a city official just prior to the opening of that thoroughfare that Medical Center Pkwy. would alleviate traffic on Old Fort.

It may very well be the case that some coming to Murfreesboro from Nashville or North will now use the Medical Center Pkwy. exit rather than Old Fort (78B) and this would be a great option for students of MTSU coming from places outside Murfreesboro. However, those vehicles which would now be using Medical Center Pkwy. are simply being replaced with new users on Old Fort due to the continued development of Cason Lane and St. Andrews areas. Hence the traffic is not going to be alleviated.

And what are they going to do on Medical Center Pkwy? Well, build a Hospital, Offices, and shopping venues - all of which mean the making of another Old Fort Pkwy. Thompson Lane then becomes a real nightmare.

I have seen increased traffic on Medical Center Pkwy and that will only continue to increase and will do so dramatically when all the developments are built. I cannot say that I have seen a decrease in traffic on Old Fort at the same time (perhaps because development around Cason Lane/St. Andrews continues unabated). The whole "Medical Center Pkwy. will alleviate traffic" spiel was undermined by the allowance of develpoment along Thompson Lane between the two as well as allowance of massive development along Medical Center Pkwy itself. If the planners wanted a thoroughfare that would truly alleviate traffic then they should have built a road and said, "This road cannot have a bunch of attractions and 'stuff' on it!"

I think more than anything, Medical Center Parkway alleviatd traffic from Broad Street than Old Fort Parkway. Most people who pass this exit still do not know that it leads to retail or restaurants for that matter and are likely to continue to use Old Fort Parkway as the main exit into town. I think the mistakes they make are not adding the new five lane roads, but, perhaps, not making them overpasses. Instead, they just pour out onto already busy intersections (i.e. Medical Center Parkway & Broad Street, Church Street & Rutherford Boulevard, Old Fort Parkway & Broad Street, and any other five lane that pours out onto Franklin Road). The planners are not willing to admit up to their mistakes and will continue to make them. Broad Street is the true "Gate Way" into our city and it looks a mess.

• 1 year later...

Old Fort Parkway has not let up a bit since the new exits have opened. I believe the city should consider widening Old Fort Parkway to seven lanes with sidewalks, and underground utilities. The Market Place intersection (Panera Bread) should be closed to Old Fort Parkway and become a threeway stop with signalizaion. That intersection is very dangerous and was never meant to handle the traffic that comes through there on a daily basis. The Target entrance should not close but should be reworked. You have traffic shooting across OFP from Market Place and OFP as well. The traffic then must come to a threeway stop and turn right then left again in front of oncoming traffic from Hotel Row. As others have mentioned before Old Fort Parkway was designed during a time when there was only farmland and little commercial activity. The roadway was never designed to handle 50,000 car per day traffic load it does. Hopefully the bridge over Broad and the Southwest Loop Rd will help in the future.

Edited by Justiceham

Old Fort Parkway has not let up a bit since the new exits have opened. I believe the city should consider widening Old Fort Parkway to seven lanes with sidewalks, and underground utilities. The Market Place intersection (Panera Bread) should be closed to Old Fort Parkway and become a threeway stop with signalizaion. That intersection is very dangerous and was never meant to handle the traffic that comes through there on a daily basis. The Target entrance should not close but should be reworked. You have traffic shooting across OFP from Market Place and OFP as well. The traffic then must come to a threeway stop and turn right then left again in front of oncoming traffic from Hotel Row. As others have mentioned before Old Fort Parkway was designed during a time when there was only farmland and little commercial activity. The roadway was never designed to handle 50,000 car per day traffic load it does. Hopefully the bridge over Broad and the Southwest Loop Rd will help in the future.

Old Fort would be really helped with a series of overpasses at the major intersections along with two lanes of access road running along side old fort on each side. There's plenty of room for this and helps move traffic along.