Is NE turning into it's on city

803metlife

After riding up I-77 to Killian Rd back to Hardscrabble I noticed all the housing and retail developments. They are building every where. Imaging the time it took me to reach this area from Harbinson!!!! NE is really starting to have it's on identity.And for most people it takes a long time to get to the NE side of Columbia. Does anyone fill that the NE side of Columbia is turing into it's own little city?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After riding up I-77 to Killian Rd back to Hardscrabble I noticed all the housing and retail developments. They are building every where. Imaging the time it took me to reach this area from Harbinson!!!! NE is really starting to have it's on identity.And for most people it takes a long time to get to the NE side of Columbia. Does anyone fill that the NE side of Columbia is turing into it's own little city?

I would like to see the city annex that area, but yes, it is like another city out there, while still being a part of Columbia. Columbia's urban area almost completely strectches from Camden to Lexington now, a distance of about 45 miles. I don't know that this is a good thing, however. I would like to see more dense development mostly close to the city's core.

Aren't those edge cities in Atlanta centered around a mall? I think the Village at Sandhill, the closest thing to a mall in NE, is a bit too far removed from the I-20/I-77 interchange to spur the typical edge city development seen in other cities. And that's a good thing.

Aren't those edge cities in Atlanta centered around a mall? I think the Village at Sandhill, the closest thing to a mall in NE, is a bit too far removed from the I-20/I-77 interchange to spur the typical edge city development seen in other cities. And that's a good thing.

I forgot they were mall-centered (you don't really expect me to pay attention to a mall if there are 'scrapers on the opposite side of the road?) but it's that lone Blue-Cross tower at the interchange that made me draw the comparison. You're speeding through suburbia and all of sudden there a highrise sticking out of the trees.

Its completely possible to function in the NE area and not need to go to any other part of town. The same can be said for Irmo too. It would be good if VAS could be come the new center of an edge city. That type of place is usually built with the idea of self expansion, and creating a urban center of sorts.

I would like to see the city annex that area, but yes, it is like another city out there, while still being a part of Columbia. Columbia's urban area almost completely strectches from Camden to Lexington now, a distance of about 45 miles. I don't know that this is a good thing, however. I would like to see more dense development mostly close to the city's core.

You are 100% correct, Matt. If Columbia doesn't 'shoe string' over and annex that area based on our water contracts we are really missing the boat and we will truly regret it in the years to come.

Its completely possible to function in the NE area and not need to go to any other part of town. The same can be said for Irmo too.

Yes, I live in Harbinson and I must say that I have every thing I need on this side of town. I travel to NE or the Spring Valley area once every blue moon.

Im tired of all you "Westies" talking about NE like the world revolves around Irmo/West Columbia/Lexington.........and making it sound like we are in the middle of nowhere! I mean come on.....Let's face it......Clemson Rd. area is booming.....yeah its far from the other side of town, but then again Lexington is far from NE.....and in my opinion NE is probably a tie with Irmo on the amenities in the Columbia area.....IMO.......plus its the closest suburb to Charlotte!!! :lol:

Im tired of all you "Westies" talking about NE like the world revolves around Irmo/West Columbia/Lexington.........and making it sound like we are in the middle of nowhere! I mean come on.....Let's face it......Clemson Rd. area is booming.....yeah its far from the other side of town, but then again Lexington is far from NE.....and in my opinion NE is probably a tie with Irmo on the amenities in the Columbia area.....IMO.......plus its the closest suburb to Charlotte!!! :lol:

yeah growing up in North Collumbia, I don't see NE as far away at all, but Harbison, now thats our there...LOL I guess its a matter of perspective.

I thought this was Urban Planet, not Suburban Enclave.

That articel is exactly right. Its just a matter of how we want our suburbs to look. Thats why TND's and New Urbanism are important. They represent a change in our typical view of suburbia. In and of themselves, they are not effective, but if everyone starts doing those types of subdivisions rather than the cul-de-sac style ones, we may really begin to see some progress. It is vital that we develop our cities in an rderly fashion- and that is the problem with the NE part of Columbia- there is no order to it. Leapfrog development is rampant. People are content with it because that is how the expect things to be.

The UrbanPlanet effect strikes again!

BTW, Val Hutchinson seems like she is the only person on the Council who can clearly see what is happening to the NE area and to Columbia/Richland County in general. People need to encourage their council members to talk to her more and listen to what she has to say.

Archived