Is NE turning into it's on city

803metlife

I'm just trying to figure out why the other members don't have a clue and don't seem to be trying to get one. As I keep on saying, it's just a shame that we have so many examples around us of how NOT to grow and develop, yet our cities are blindly following down that same road. Don't they read? Concepts like Smart Growth and movements like New Urbanism are no longer on the fringe; they're moving mainstream. Wake up people!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the term "city" is used in the sense of being able to function in ones daily activities there without going to another part of Columbia.It has all of the basic essentials. Its obviously not its own city. It is, however, a distinct region within Columbia.

Camden will eventually be Columbia's Summerville. Like Krazee said, just give it time.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.....Columbias' Summerville. I am looking to buy in the Elgin-Lugoff-Camden area. My wife and daughter love the "sprawl" over there. I have heard people say Camden is kind of different. Lots of eccentric people there. Not bad, just eccentric. I love what I have seen of it. Very historic. Still can get a home with a couple acres very affordably. I guess most relocating from the NorthEast choose the LExington-Irmo area. Would you say Lexington is Cary to Columbias' Raleigh?

I think that the term "city" is used in the sense of being able to function in ones daily activities there without going to another part of Columbia.It has all of the basic essentials. Its obviously not its own city. It is, however, a distinct region within Columbia.

Camden will eventually be Columbia's Summerville. Like Krazee said, just give it time.

There's a word that exists in the english language....its called "suburb"

Interesting.....Columbias' Summerville. I am looking to buy in the Elgin-Lugoff-Camden area. My wife and daughter love the "sprawl" over there. I have heard people say Camden is kind of different. Lots of eccentric people there. Not bad, just eccentric. I love what I have seen of it. Very historic. Still can get a home with a couple acres very affordably. I guess most relocating from the NorthEast choose the LExington-Irmo area. Would you say Lexington is Cary to Columbias' Raleigh?

I don't know - as a "Yankee" myself (who lives in Northeast Richland), NE Richland seems to be at least as "Cary" as Lexington and Irmo are. Most transplants' relocation choices seem to boil down to what's near work, since in terms of schools, Lexington 1, Lexington-Richland 5, and Richland 2 are all good, roughly comparable school districts (although they come in different "flavors" in terms of diversity, emphasis on test scores, magnet programs, etc.). With Fort Jackson, Blue Cross, proximity to downtown (USC, etc.), NE Richland definitely attracts all sorts of outsiders. I think military folks overwhelmingly choose NE Richland over the other suburban areas; downtown is a toss-up for the most part for anyone working there - you could live in any suburb and be reasonably close to downtown, although Lexington would probably be the least desirable commute. Lexington seems to be more popular (obviously) for people working at the Lexington Medical Center. Irmo seems to be the "happy medium" for being in not-too-inconvenient to everywhere (many folks choose Irmo even if they work at Blue Cross in NE Richland, for example).

Archived