questions about boston...please help

orlandouprise

i will be in boston for the first time for the yankee v redsox series in late august. Ive always wanted to go to the "mecca" to see the beloved sox play. My question is where do i stay? im looking for a hotel near the T trains as we wont have a car and need to see as much of the city as we can, also need to be able to get to Fenway fairly quick. So what do u guys recommend ...a nice hotel near everything with access to the trains.

any recommendations on places to go and see or hangout spots that are a must when in boston as well as restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

regards,

Paul in Orlando

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost any "nice" hotel is going to be within 3 blocks of a T line.

It really depends on what you want to do on your downtime.....if you want to shop, stay at Copley (Westin, Marriot, Fairmont)

If you want to do the historical things, stay downtown. I'd recommend checking out Nine Zero.....it's on Tremont, about a block east of the Park St. station which is where the Red and Green lines cross (Green line goes to Fenway).

The hotel is very new, and is a boutique. Pretty hip, but rooms are usually reasonably priced at Hotels.com (~$250). You are a block from Boston Common, a block from The Freedom Trail, three-four blocks from Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall, three blocks from Beacon Hill, etc etc.

A word of advice about taking the T to Fenway. It is a VERY VERY packed train, so you probably want to get out there early a hit some bars, otherwise your personal space (and possible body) will be violated for the 10-15 minute ride.

The Hotel Commonwealth is right at Fenway Park and the Marriott and Holiday Inn in on Beacon Street in Brookline are within walking distance of the park (a long walk from the Marriott) and are both on the C branch of the green line. The advantage to being in Brookline is on game days usually the C line inbound is less crowded than the green line trains from downtown Boston. Be prepared to wait quite a while if boarding a T train after the game at Kenmore Square...I recommend taking a nice walk after the game down Commonwealth Avenue or Beacon Street rather than fighting the crowds.

You could also stay just about anywhere in the city and take a cab to Fenway which wouldn't be to expensive unless your cabbie finds the game-day traffic jams.

Another option is the Holiday Inn near Beacon Hill (~$220/night) - off Cambridge St. It's right next to the Hill so you could walk around there and the Commons, Public Garden, Quincy Markey, North End... Two advantages of that location are: 1) You would be heading downtown after the game when most people go west (Outbound) and 2) You could even walk to/from Fenway in about 45 minutes passing through the parks and up newbury street.

• 2 weeks later...

Try the Midtown Hotel on Huntington Ave. It's nothing glamorous (and in my opinion should be redeveloped), but its cheaper than most and has a great location right across from the Christian Science Center. A few steps away from Back Bay, Pru Center, Symphony Hall, NU/MFA, and of course, Fenway Park. Near several T stops too. I would stay there again (once again, if you're looking for glamorous, this isn't the place).

• 3 weeks later...

Boston is so small, you can get a room anywhere and be withing walking distance. Not to mention this is generally a very segragated and safe city, so stick with your nationality (like the rest of Boston) and Im sure you'll be okay.

What the **** is wrong with you???? Please stop posting retarded and misleading posts. I don't care if you've spent your whole life in Boston, you obviously know nothing of the city.

• 7 months later...

What's up?

Providence UP'er here. My wife, two-year old and I are planning a trip up to Boston this Saturday to see the Darwin exhibit at the Museum of Science. Since the trains to Providence don't run as frequently on Saturdays, what are your recommendations of things to do around the Museum or Back Bay station should we have a lot of time to wait before the next train? Is there anything out of the ordinary happening around Boston this weekend in those areas? Thanks.

This Saturday is supposed to be gorgeous. Assuming you have a stroller for the little one, I'd take a leisurely walk along the Esplanade from the MOS to Back Bay, there's new parks at Nashua Street to see.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be headed up to Boston for Memorial day weekend (25th - 28th)... is there anything I shouldn't miss?

I have been to Boston once before... was actually there for Y2K on the harbor for the fireworks, etc. I got to eat dinner and sample the cannoli in Little Italy, which was awesome. I've never have actually been to Fenway to see a game, just had a beer at the bar across the street since it was January (2000). I only have a short time, so I need to focus on just a few things. Any advice would be helpful!

Well, I know you are a highway type of guy, so you might want to check out the Big Dig....drive it and walk it (thought the Greenway on top isn't really all that attractive yet).

I guess it depends on what you consider exciting. Do you like to explore things for yourself, guided tours, museums, shopping, people watching??? I can try to offer some specific ideas if I can get a better idea of what types of activies you like.

Well, I know you are a highway type of guy, so you might want to check out the Big Dig....drive it and walk it (thought the Greenway on top isn't really all that attractive yet).

I guess it depends on what you consider exciting. Do you like to explore things for yourself, guided tours, museums, shopping, people watching??? I can try to offer some specific ideas if I can get a better idea of what types of activies you like.

There's various bars and hotspots in Allston, along Comm Ave and major offshoots. Kenmore-Fenway is another good area, around Fenway Park and along Brookline and Landsdowne.

Fanueil Hall is the big touristy area, interesting once or twice but always overcrowded. Long Wharf is an interesting place, less traveled and fairly close by. There's boat tours from there of the harbor too.

Archived