Is the Convention Center in the best place?

krazeeboi

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just something that came across my mind today: do you guys think that the convention center was built in an ideal location downtown? Why or why not?

I feel that the location is good. :thumbsup: The only difficult part of course is parking. :( Its located in a large center of activity which is good. the only other place that might have been nice may have been on the river. :whistling:

Just something that came across my mind today: do you guys think that the convention center was built in an ideal location downtown? Why or why not?

I think it's in a good location because of the following reasons:

1. It's next to the Colonial Center - potentially a large convention could use both venues

2. It's in the middle of The Vista

3. It's within walking distance of the State House and Main Street

4. It's within walking distance of USC

OK. The reason why I asked is because of its location right next to the Colonial Center. While some large scale conventions would potentially use both venues, you probably could count all that would do so within a year's time on one hand. And while I'm not opposed to either arenas or convention centers downtown, both have rather specialized uses, and not day-to-day uses--thus, the days that nothing is going on at either venue would create something of a dead zone that stretches kinda far. The location in the Vista is great, but the Vista had the hot spots before the convention center was built. Suppose the convention center were built along Sumter instead. Perhaps that could have added life and vitality to a part of downtown that really needs it, with a hotel, bars, and restaurants occupying many of the empty parcels along Sumter, Marion, and even Main.

Thoughts?

Krazee, I see your point about opening up entertainment options in other areas, but when the CC was first announced for the Vista, it was not the mecca that it has become. I'm not sure how much of that is attributable to the Convention Center, but probably a little bit was. I wouldn't want the restaurant and entertainment areas to get too spread out or there wouldn't be that synergy of having everything close together. Also, having the Convention and Colonial Centers next to each other opens up the possibility of more different types of conventions in the future, like basketball tournaments, etc. (if the NCAA postseason ban on South Carolina ever gets resolved). Get rid of that damn flag, already!

I think the convention center is in an excellent location, Krazeeboi. I agree with Waccamatt's logic. The Sheraton Boutique and Capitol Places in the Barringer Building are going to give a big boost to the heart of the CBD, including Sumter Street. Vsion will add another big spark to that area. As I stated in another thread, more and more pedestrians are crossing Assembly at Gervais, and with more people living on the CBD side, the number of crossers will increase a lot. And there is plenty of time for everyone to cross safetly there, with signs counting down from 30 the seconds you have left to cross, with a large median island in the middle.

I see your point Krazee, but the thing you have to ask is where else would it have gone? There really isn't a better place for it. Conventioners like to be near places where there are things to do. Being in the Vista, and within walking distance of USC and the State House is a major draw I think. It also makes sense to let the the Colonial Center and the Convention Center share parking resources. IMO, that is a critical reason for putting it there. If they were in two separate places, we may have another large sea of parking in the middle of town. I think its in the best location it could be.

Well, my thought is that back when they were planning the thing it was a pretty iffy proposition and they had to put it somewhere that was already a hotspot to make it viable. But I know what you mean. Nowadays something like that could go in a "dead" part of the city and be a catalyst for renewal.

• 2 years later...

I was reading an article in The State the other day about Coble's trip to Washington to try and secure funds for infrastructure improvements for the city, particularly in light of the president-elect's proposal to create a national infrastructure bank. The article talked about an expansion of the convention center which, in my estimation, was built too small to begin with. One good think about the convention center's location is that it does have the room to expand. I just hope that however the center expands, the landscaped terrace on the north side, between the convention center and the Hampton Inn, is retained. I like that little area.

Archived