NC Gay & Lesbian Film Festival

JDC

The 11th annual NC Gay & Lesbian Film Festival in Durham begins this week (Thursday August 10) and lasts through Sunday the 13th.

I've noticed there's a pretty decent GLBT community in these parts (especially here on UP). Hailing from the only state where gays can get married, I was surprised to see this festival can thrive in the so-called "Bible Belt." Anyone from here planning to attend?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been since 99 or 00 when my ex had a friend with a film showing there. I've said I was going to go almost every year and didn't make it. I would like to go this year if possible. I seem to remember hearing that it is the 2nd or 3rd largest glbt film fest on the east coast. Anyone know if that is correct?

Yeah it's pretty big...5 days worth. Brings in people from around the state and beyond....though definitely the Triangle LGBT community is the main backbone of audience members.

And they're opening with a live performance by comedienne Margaret Cho this year.

I expect to stop by for a flick or two, schedule permitting.

The Carolina Theatre is a really good venue for this. (Their website, carolinatheatre.org has all the film info in case anyone's wondering.)

I'm glad they, and the city of Durham, has been so supportive of this over the years.

:thumbsup:

well this explains why so many movies are selling at out the film fest so fast...from the N&O:

"It's controlled chaos," says Carolina Theatre senior director Jim Carl. Sixty films will screen at the 11th festival, and 24 of the primary artists (that's fancy talk for filmmakers) behind them will show up -- as well as some of their cast, crew, friends, family, potnahs, homies, road dogs, etc. "Filmmakers have been traveling at their expense, and bringing friends with them," Carl says. "They're bringing the groupies with them!"

It has made setting up lodging for these guests at the adjoining Marriott quite the chore.

It's cool when stuff like this puts our area in the spotlight. :thumbsup:

Filmmaker groupies travelling en masse to Durham....who'da ever thought? LOL

^ oh...there's a few people thinking about it...and wanting to keep it going...say, around sept 14-17ish.

:whistling:

ok that's pretty funny - I unknowingly made it to whistle stop whilst posting the whistle dude for the first time.

:yahoo:

I went tonight and there was a great crowd at the Carolina Theatre. I saw a very interesting documentary entitled "Small Town Gay Bar", and Saturday and Sunday my friends and I will be going back to see about 7 more movies total. I've been every year since 2000 and I've really enjoyed it each year. We should all definately have a lot of pride in our fair region / state being able to support such a great event. And its true, this is the second largest LGBT film festival in the southeast!

^ Glad you enjoyed it.

Doesn't look like I'll make it this year. The only movies I was even remotely interested in all sold out (according to the website) before I had a chance to drive up there! Oh well. *shrug*

Yoga: what's going on sept 14-17 you're referring to???

I may go to Spark Con but I am not too keen on the musical aspect of it.

What music? Is the guy who plays the electric toothbrush there? :rofl:

Sorry, I know this is associated with Design Box and I was there one night and there was a guy who had amplified box and would toucn it with different items. Actually it was pretty good but I swear he had toothbrush or a power drill there playing music.

Like Hendrix on mouthwash !!

Sorry, I know this is associated with Design Box and I was there one night and there was a guy who had amplified box and would toucn it with different items. Actually it was pretty good but I swear he had toothbrush or a power drill there playing music.

Hmm. We have our dental school class reunion coming up and need a good band. I wonder if he's available on 9/9?? :D

Where did you see this person?

Where did you see this person?

It was at Design Box about 2 months ago. He was actually very good. I am trying to remember but he had some kind of board with a bunch of wa-wa pedals (I could be wrong) and he would run different items against it creating feedback which acting as background noise/music. He had a drill or a toothbrush. Again, very interesting.

I forget what the show was that night. It might have been the night you guys had Ice Chandeliers.(or the Friday around that time)

• 2 weeks later...

^ sparkcon. That's all I'm allowed to say here.

You can say what you want, but you are not allowed to make blatent advertisements in violation of our rules. Ethical organizations don't do that once asked to stop. I thought that we were pretty clear on this matter and it was settled. We are also not conviced that an event such as this is something that we would support here on UrbanPlanet given the lack of any clear details and its obvious commercial connections. We are very careful about what we recommend on this site as our membership is important to us. If you feel the need to respond, please send a PM. This is afterall a topic on the NC Gay & Lesbian Film Festival.

You can say what you want, but you are not allowed to make blatent advertisements in violation of our rules. Ethical organizations don't do that once asked to stop. I thought that we were pretty clear on this matter and it was settled. We are also not conviced that an event such as this is something that we would support here on UrbanPlanet given the lack of any clear details and its obvious commercial connections. We are very careful about what we recommend on this site as our membership is important to us. If you feel the need to respond, please send a PM. This is afterall a topic on the NC Gay & Lesbian Film Festival.

I'm not unethical and I take offense at your comment - made publicly, no less.

It's definitely settled now. And I'm never going to see my $20 again that I donated to urbanplanet.

....And I'm never going to see my $20 again that I donated to urbanplanet.

What exactly did you expect to see for your donation of $20? It's not a ticket to break our rules which you have done a number of times now. The fact of the matter is that you have failed to explain to us why UrbanPlanet should be involved with Sparkcon, nor have you addressed our concerns, though we have asked several times. The offers of free sponsorships and donations are not going to affect how we run this site. If the $20 is such an issue for you, please send an email to Neo and we will see about getting you a refund. Honestly the trouble you are causing us including taking topics like this way off topic just isn't worth it. And I am sure the forumers are annoyed as well.

JDC, I am sorry your thread was messed up by this nonsense.

Archived