West Michigan Bridges

I'd rather see the rocks thrown back into the river, and the cataracts (except for maybe the largest all the way upstream, but that could use some work to look a bit more natural) and actually have rapids... back in Grand Rapids again. That alone can enhance the appearance of the bridges.

Me too

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather see the rocks thrown back into the river, and the cataracts (except for maybe the largest all the way upstream, but that could use some work to look a bit more natural) and actually have rapids... back in Grand Rapids again. That alone can enhance the appearance of the bridges.

that would look awesome too.

allthough I think they did a good job improving the apearance of the S-curve and the grand river bridges, I hoped they would add a little hight and put some kind of spire or fake suspenssion on it for a stand out look

As nice as it would be to have a suspension downtown, I think in the end it would just come out cheesy. The Grand just isn't wide enough to support any good-looking tall bridges or suspension bridges.

In fact, I actually like the closeness of the bridges to the water. They're much more nicer to walk across, feeling closer to the river. That's something a bit more unique for a river in a downtown environment.

• 4 months later...
I did this quick sketchup file of what I would do with the 196 bridges going over the Grand River.

post-11190-1156388188_thumb.jpg

I've used traditional colors and materials as a nod to GR's history but give the bridge but gave it a modern edge for a distintive look.

Archived