Oldies radio returns to upstate!

perrykat

As of today, the Oldies format returned to the Greenville/Upstate airwaves via WCSZ-AM 1070 from Sans Souci. They call themselves "Greenville's Oldies Station - Good Time Oldies 1070." Not exactly like what we've had in the past, but definately better than nothing, I can say I've loved it so far. I believe it started this morning, it was previously Gospel. :yahoo::thumbsup::shades:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of today, the Oldies format returned to the Greenville/Upstate airwaves via WCSZ-AM 1070 from Sans Souci. They call themselves "Greenville's Oldies Station - Good Time Oldies 1070." Not exactly like what we've had in the past, but definately better than nothing, I can say I've loved it so far. I believe it started this morning, it was previously Gospel. :yahoo::thumbsup::shades:

AM 1070 has had an interesting history. They were at first a music station, then for a while a "CNN" station and about five years ago they tried to be the Sportszone for a while with some refugee's from WCCP, 104.9. That didn't last long.

I'm not sure why they say it's out of Sans Souci, since it's closer to Traveler's Rest just outside the back gate at Furman.

• 2 months later...

Well, I never enjoyed The Walk, but it seems brilliant in comparison to the 'chick talk' format now on 106.3. Let's see- The Walk first replaced Star 103.3/103.9 a few years ago, then destroyed Oldies 106 a year ago. Crazy people!! I know for certain that The Walk only billed HALF of what Oldies did last year (Oldies wasn't even on for the entire year!) and in the last ratings, Summer 2006 12+, The Walk only had half of the numbers that Oldies had on 106.3 in Summer 05.

Why do they say it's out of Sans Souci? You obviously know NOTHING about radio!

WCSZ-AM's City Of License, which is authorized by the FCC IS Sans Souci. They can have the studio within 25 miles of their City Of License, henceforth why it's somewhere other then Sans Souci.

WCSZ-AM License Information & Technical Data from The FCC

^ ah, that is sad. You know, maybe I'm just being a little too nostalgic, but back in the early and mid 90s, it seemed that there were many great modern rock stations around. Those stations caused me to become a huge fan of the Pixies, The Smiths, The Replacements, et cetera. Those stations are gone now, with playlists that seem so small.......

The point about being in "Sans Souci" is not that is not really there per se. I guess you can say anywhere is a certain address like how we have at a station in Greenville say it is in Senaca or Asheville Stations being broadcast from Greenville as well but "Sans Souci" is basically a small neighborhood which I think may be inside the city limits of Greenville or at least just outside of them. Sans Souci is also slowly become "Cherrydale" since the popular shopping center came to the area. Do people actually work and broadcast out of that trailer on White Horse Road? Ever time I drive by it I don't see anyone there. Why does the station say it is in Sans Souci? Is something wrong with Berea or Travelers Rest. You could say it was in Richmond Hills or Green Valley and be more accurate.

Archived