Gas at $4/gallon?

Snowguy716

gas prices here have been dropping steadily. they've leveled off for the weekend, but i bet they'll keep dropping during the week. they might jump a bit for labor day weekend, but after that, they'll go back down. as an example... at the beginning of last week it was something like $3.04 at the station i go to. a day later, it was $3.02. a day later $2.99. 2 days later $2.92 (which is where it's been all weekend).

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite a quick run up to $72 after this weekends cease fire violations in the Mid-East, experts are still predicting gas prices to decline. In the past 2 weeks US gas prices have fallen on average 7 cents per gallon to an average price of $2.92 a gallon. With peak summer driving getting ready to come to an end, it is predicted that prices will CONTINUE to fall.

Maybe for the short term, we have avoided the dreaded $4-$5 a gallon gasoline. But we need to find alternative fuel sources QUICKLY.

Well, finding alternatives to oil has become a tri-partisan effort in Minnesota with all candidates at the statewide level promoting some sort of alternative energy.

Wind farms are going up all over the state.. and a European windmill producer has just committed to building a factory in Pipestone, MN.. because most producers already have a huge backlog in orders. We're already 4th in the nation for wind power behind California, Texas, and Iowa.

Ethanol is also getting a big push here, and you see more and more smaller cars and hybrids on the road.. the difference is visible compared to say, a year ago.

It is important that this is no longer a "liberal" issue or "environmental" issue.. but an "our well being" issue. I'm really glad to see republicans embracing alternative energies and many are jumping on the transit bandwagon as well.

I read (sorry, can't find the link to the article) that we could see a global economic panic if oil reaches $100/barrel. It seems that a price close to that is the point where Chinese-produced products become more expensive to ship than to manufacture.

Heh ... how much would oil have to be for it to be more profitable to manufacture here in the USA (or at least in Canada or Mexico...) instead of China??? High oil prices might be a good thing for all those protectionists...

Wind farms are going up all over the state.. and a European windmill producer has just committed to building a factory in Pipestone, MN.. because most producers already have a huge backlog in orders. We're already 4th in the nation for wind power behind California, Texas, and Iowa.

Maybe thats why earlier this summer i saw several massive semi trucks traveling north on I-75 with HUGE sections of a windmill propellers on them. Maybe since they were on there way to the Mackinaw Bridge they were going that way to Minnesota. Have any windmills been constructed recently?

Michigan should have way more winmills than it already has, with all the great lakes shore line, and (as you probobly know) how windy it gets on the shore. There has been plans for a wind farm with about 35 or so winmill here in eastern michigan, im not sure if any work has been done yet.

Btw, Michigan only has 3 winmills right now, one in traverse city, and 2 by the Mackinaw Bridge in Mackinaw City.

Maybe thats why earlier this summer i saw several massive semi trucks traveling north on I-75 with HUGE sections of a windmill propellers on them. Maybe since they were on there way to the Mackinaw Bridge they were going that way to Minnesota. Have any windmills been constructed recently?

Michigan should have way more winmills than it already has, with all the great lakes shore line, and (as you probobly know) how windy it gets on the shore. There has been plans for a wind farm with about 35 or so winmill here in eastern michigan, im not sure if any work has been done yet.

Btw, Michigan only has 3 winmills right now, one in traverse city, and 2 by the Mackinaw Bridge in Mackinaw City.

They were probably headed to Sault Canada. They're building a massive wind farm just NW of the Soo called the Prince Wind Farm. It will consist of 111 to 134 windmills.

More info HERE. The windmills will be as much as 85 meters tall.

There are plans in the works to add a 50 windmill farm West of Traverse City.

Currently there are 820 windmills online in Minnesota at 54 different sites. The largest has 143 windmills. Many have only one or fewer than 10.

So far in 2006, 36 windmills have gone up with more projects proposed. The first windmills went in in 1987, but vast majority have gone in since 1998, so it's a new technology.

Archived