Gas at $4/gallon?

Snowguy716

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll see. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy. I just find it interesting that the prices, at least around here, start creeping up exactly when I said they would. While prices do fluctuate of course, they had been steady to declining for months. Now we see the first increase.

Several sources I looked at show the national average gasoline price up slightly for the first time in weeks, though I admit the increase is negligable, which is why I didn't mention it before.

Edit: For what it's worth, the station I referred to above is up three more cents sicne I posted.

• 5 months later...

Well, here we are 6 months later, and it's very interesting to read some of these posts. Gas nationwide has reached a record $3.06/gallon and some experts are starting to say $4 gallon is even likely by this summer. Inventories are exceptionally low and our refinery capacity is quite low right now due to aging infrastructure and exploding worldwide demand.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/07/news/econo...dex.htm?cnn=yes

With the economy kind of fragile right now with a slowing housing market and personal income not growing much, $4/gallon will certainly have a large negative impact on the economy.

Its about time that the reality has finally reared its head. All of these years we have been so spoiled and been force fed huge SUVs and now gas has become another thing to put on your budget. Now there is a semi-mad scramble to solve this dependency on oil. Well had we diversified when the oil embargo in the 70s hit us then this massive blow would not be as shocking. Not only do I blame the politicians but I think the automakers and the oil companies have played us like the best poker hand ever. I admit I was right along with it. Now everytime I pass a shell station I grimace with straight hatred because every moring the price goes up another 2 cents. It never goes down so fast and it burns me up inside. I chuckled the other day when I read online that there is an environmental report disputing biofuels and corn based "ecofuels". So now who does the average Joe listen too. Of course if the same government that has been telling us that gas and petro will never be a problem then why should we change right. We should just get used to it right. Just like the way we should get used to all of our light manufacturing jobs leaving for cheaper labor. I don't buy it. Gas will never go under 2.50 cent again with the current capacity and all of that jazz we hear. At this point I am tired of hearing cheap campaing slogans and useless talk. If we are truly going to go green then the technology does not need to tampered with and given the run around. Its not the well to do that will have a problem buying "green" cars. The majority of the working public will continue to drive what is cheapest. So how does that help lowering gas. This problem is bigger than we all think.

while i agree with everything you say... you're forgetting one very important point (well, 2 i guess). the fortune 500 list came out recently. topping it off for most profitable companies were all the oil companies. if they're having such great profits, why don't they just turn some of that to the consumer rather than for their CEO's 2,000,000 salaries, vacation homes, yachts, etc, etc, etc? they claim there's a refinery issue, we're at capacity, prices are going to keep going up... you would think that if that were actually the issue, their profits would remain about the same. however, when prices go up, their profits go up. i'm not accountant or anything... but something tells me there's a bit more to the prices than being at capacity, running low on reserves, refineries having maintenance issues, etc.

^Well there you are. you just gave the real reason behind everything that happens in America these days. Since Reaganism took hold 25 years ago, there has been an extreme concentration of this nation's wealth in just a few hands. When the middle class is stripped of jobs, the ranks of the poor keep getting larger and the country locked into an endless war to detract from all of it, then what we have today is the result. The dollar is becoming worthless on the world market from all of this and this is one of the reasons imported oil is becoming so expensive. Refinery capacity is just the excuse to deflect from this criticism.

If gas hits $4 a gallon, motorcycle/bicycle sales will go through the roof as people stop driving and opt for more fuel-efficient transportation modes. In New Orleans, you really don't need a car unless you're commuting into the CBD from the suburbs. If New Orleans was a car-dependent city, our traffic would rank among Atlanta & Houston in the traffic-congestion list.

If gas hits $4 a gallon, motorcycle/bicycle sales will go through the roof as people stop driving and opt for more fuel-efficient transportation modes. In New Orleans, you really don't need a car unless you're commuting into the CBD from the suburbs. If New Orleans was a car-dependent city, our traffic would rank among Atlanta & Houston in the traffic-congestion list.

The amazing part is when the price is broken down, the government (both federal and state) make more per Gallon of Gas sold, then the oil companies... If oil companies are making record profits, the government should be rolling in money.

Just curious what is the hierarchy of responsibility for this problem. Heres my list.

1. Federal government-for caving to the big money and status quo-for misleading the public for decades and not giving those below options

2. Oil conglomerates-for manipulating the Feds and keeping the "green" tech bottled up in endless legislation and research

3. Automakers-for being arrogant and greed stricken just to keep the profits up; also for manipulating the Feds and public

4. Local (city&county) governments-for years of auto dependent policies keeping the much needed mass transit reforms DOA in this country

5. Gullable average Joe-for being just that; gullable to the point that all of the people above has put the fear of mass transit in each cul-de-sac. Outside of the world cities in this country riding the bus or train is seen as a class distinction. Also blindly believing the "Big" 3 that owning a huge 15-17 mpg SUV is safer and is down right American. For buying that line "We Americans love big cars and trucks". Oh yeah the other automakers share some of this also. As we see now that Toyota and Nissan offer just as big and just as inefficient trucks as Detroit. I am sure thier hearts are bleeding for us as they rack the profits off of ole gullable Joe. Last but not least Joe needs to elect for the future and not some flashy campaign slogan. That includes the Feds and local. Don't just settle for the same old way of thinking. If things are going to change it is going to start with ole gullable Joe.

Year after year, we see reports that the oil companies are making all-time record profits. In the history of human commerce, there have never been larger profits than the oil companies are making right now.

It looks like it is mostly Exxon leading the way though. Exxon made 10.7 billion dollars in the fourth quarter in 2006, while Shell 25 billion for the year, and even further behind Chevron made 14 billion. I won't doubt they are all making large profits, but it looks like Exxon is doing something a little extra to make so much more. Is it because they are used more countrywide? Or is it just they are sc**wing the customer more than both Shell and Chevron combined?

9.8 cents/ dollar is not a big profit margin at all. I worked for a small comapny that was making 61-67 cents per dollar.

I think what the oil execs get paid is kinda ridiculous, but a corporation exists to make money. I don't like the higher prices, and I do think there is some chicanery going on regarding how slowly the prices drop, but overall, I'm more upset with the speculators driving up the prices than I am with the oil companies.

I avoid going to Exxon to get my gas, they are usually among the highest priced. Sams Club sells gas at a much cheaper price, along with the small family run convienence stores.

You always hear the words "Record Profits", but what is that in relationship to? The federal government takes in more money now than they did ten years ago, "Record Profits"? When you take into account that more people around the globe are driving automobiles than ever before, why wouldn't they be making "Record Profits"? This has become a cliche used to create some kind of boogy man. Should we put a cap on how much profit an oil company can make, and if so, should we do this to all businesses?

Archived