Gas at $4/gallon?

Snowguy716

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have seen gas in the ATL metro today at some stations $3.30. This is higher than what I saw in NC when I left this morning, $3.07. (NC has usually been a few cents higher, it'll probably be $3.50 when I get back.... :dontknow: )

As of yesterday it was $3.33 And to think I used to fill up my tank for $15 :(

Now I can barely get half a tank for $20.

My first car was a little Toyota Corolla and I remember filling up for a little over $9 from a near empty tank. It is amazing how things have changed since then as I recall seeing a station in South Carolina for $0.79 in I think 1997.

However...I do very much welcome $4 gas and even higher because it will hopefully force America to rethink their hold on oil and to come up with alternatives. Hopefully cities can embrace new public transit initiatives and slowly move us to a better lifestyle without the addiction to oil.

I don't welcome $4 a gas permanently NOW, however I would like it to stay high enough to keep this topic in the spotlight. I think $3-$3.25 is doing that quite nicely. I don't want lower income families to suffer any further hardships because of this.

Paid $3.23 for Gas in Royston, GA this afternoon. Cost $78.00 to fill up my company van.

I don't welcome $4 a gas permanently NOW, however I would like it to stay high enough to keep this topic in the spotlight. I think $3-$3.25 is doing that quite nicely. I don't want lower income families to suffer any further hardships because of this.

The problem is that if it stays at $3 or $3.25 people will count it as the norm. Remember when $2 gass was outrageous but we would all love to see it that low. Well, when it was $1, $2 gas seemed outrageous. There is a tipping point where gas prices must reach before we see any movement from the government or private industry to really develop and put forth alternatives, I just don't think we're at that tipping point with $3. It is going to take more for us to reach that, and unfortunately lower income families will suffer under any circumstance regarding high oil prices.

We have somewhat of a chicken and the egg scenario where we aren't going to get alternatives without high gas prices.

very true... i'm actually seeing no change in the amount of cars on the road with gas prices where they are not compared with where they were when it was $2.25. while some of that could be due to the increased travelling this time of year, i'm sure some of it is people just don't care.

To be honest, if you want pricing to make an impact you need almost overnight increases of 50-100%. Even though this increase to $3.21+ was fairly rapid, people have indeed adjusted to the high $2 dollar range cost per gallon. If you woke up tomorrow to $7 or $8 a gallon gas from $3.25, you wouldn't have time to react and budget for it. Volatility of that scale would help herald the call for alternative fuels and more mass transit.

To be honest, if you want pricing to make an impact you need almost overnight increases of 50-100%. Even though this increase to $3.21+ was fairly rapid, people have indeed adjusted to the high $2 dollar range cost per gallon. If you woke up tomorrow to $7 or $8 a gallon gas from $3.25, you wouldn't have time to react and budget for it. Volatility of that scale would help herald the call for alternative fuels and more mass transit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived