North Carolinas newest Metro

Mgyeldell

If I have the numbers right, Cumberland County is 305,000 people. Raleigh is 347,000. So that would make it third.

(never mind about the edits, found the 2000 numbers, and corrected with 2005 numbers).

Raleigh was close to 354,000 as of July, 2006. Now that it's a couple of months later, the pop. is probably around 356,000. If Raleigh was a county it would be one of the fastest growing counties, even numerically.

Also what's so entriguing about it, is the fact that Raleigh is actually a much larger city than those respective numbers. Raleigh's ETJ's are mostly encapsulated within the city limits. If Raleigh counted these areas, the pop. would be around 385,000, or more. Cary, which is none other than a seamless suburb of Raleigh, has a population of 120,000+. If you add the two together, you would have a city of about 505,000+.

In actuality Raleigh is a much larger city than Greensboro, Fayetteville, and Winston Salem, due to it's urbanized area. If Raleigh annexed those areas, it would still have the density of Charlotte.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if this will get off the ground. At times back into the 1970s, I know Charlotte/Mecklenburg, Durham/Durham Co, Wilmington/New Hanover and Currituck Co (which has no incorporated towns) have studied or voted on it, but with annexation fairly easy, it's never succeeded. I think the wave of consolidations in Ga and Va (Columbus, Athens & Augusta GA; and the 4 "dead" counties that turned into 7 independent cities in Tidewater VA) were all to get around highly restrictive annexation laws.

Very true indeed--at least for Augusta. Consolidation was only attempted after several failed attempts at annexation. Not sure if it will be successful for Fayetteville or not, though I do wish them the best. To be honest, my experience down here with consolidation has been somewhat negative.

I went to Fayetteville a few times when I was a kid and I was actually a bit scared of the place, though it looked nice in certain areas. I find it hard to believe that Fayetteville does not have its own television market. It seemed more than large enough to support that......

Raleigh was close to 354,000 as of July, 2006. Now that it's a couple of months later, the pop. is probably around 356,000. If Raleigh was a county it be one of the fastest growing even numerically.

Also what's so entriguing about it, is the fact that Raleigh is actually a much larger city than those respective numbers. Raleigh's ETJ's are mostly encapsulated within the city limits. If Raleigh counted these areas, the pop. would be around 385,000, or more. Cary, which is none other than a seamless suburb of Raleigh, has a population of 120,000+. If you add the two together you would have a city of about 505,000+.

In actuality Raleigh is a much larger city than Greensboro, Fayetteville, and Winston Salem, due to it's urbanized area. If Raleigh annexed those areas, it would still have the density of Charlotte.

serapis welcome to urban planet, my friend, I agree with you 100%. And just imagine if Raleigh was annex crazy like other cities in North Carolina how much bigger we would be. :thumbsup:

I find it hard to believe that Fayetteville does not have its own television market. It seemed more than large enough to support that......

Fayettevile's default market is Raleigh-Durham but the Wilmington market up until WNCN's (raleigh NBC) birth had a stronger presence there too, especially WECT TV 6, a NBC affiliate. These days, its just Raleigh doing the news for Fayetteville and Wilmington stations (even WECT) are not really concerned about them too much anymore.

The only reason why Florence, SC has a market is because of its distance from other markets but was part of the Wilmington market before. Fayettevile, although a good distance away from Raleigh, is a borderline issue if you ask me, to go back to your statement.

How many miles is Fayetteville from Raleigh? It is only two counties over, so it doesn't seem to be that much of a stretch to be in the same market. Anson and Rowan Counties are two counties from Mecklenburg, but clearly part of the Charlotte market.

From a commuter point of view, you see more people commuting from Anson and Rowan counties than Cumberland County. I do believe it is a stretch considering it is borderline to the Wilmington and Florence TV markets that are easily picked up by antenna and that Cumberland County, along with Sampson County, are the southern extents of the Raleigh viewing area.

Driving miles, according to Mapquest

Fayetteville to Raleigh

63 Miles

Charlotte to Wadesboro, Anson County

52 miles

Charlotte to Salisbury, Rowan County

43 Miles

Fayettevile's default market is Raleigh-Durham but the Wilmington market up until WNCN's (raleigh NBC) birth had a stronger presence there too, especially WECT TV 6, a NBC affiliate. These days, its just Raleigh doing the news for Fayetteville and Wilmington stations (even WECT) are not really concerned about them too much anymore.

The only reason why Florence, SC has a market is because of its distance from other markets but was part of the Wilmington market before. Fayettevile, although a good distance away from Raleigh, is a borderline issue if you ask me, to go back to your statement.

Archived