Hot dogs with ketchup! The Yesterdog visit . . .

LA Dave

During a lightning visit to the home town this weekend, I was able to go with my two teenage sons to Yesterdog. Great location, wonderful posters and the krautdog was spectacular. But, to my dismay, I noted that the classic yesterdog is served with . . . ketchup.

Maybe it's my Chicago bias, but I am completely at a loss as to why anyone in their right (or wrong) mind would eat a hot dog with ketchup on it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's my Chicago bias, but I am completely at a loss as to why anyone in their right (or wrong) mind would eat a hot dog with ketchup on it.

Nope, you're right. No one in their right mind should eat a hot dog with ketchup. Mustard only.

It is your Chicago bias and it should be recognized as well as thrown out. I joke, but seriously, I don't know how many times I was mocked and sneered at because I put ketchup and mustard ONLY on my hot dog.

Everytime the response was the same, "you want to do what, with your what!? What about the pickle slice? The tomato? The chili!? Ending with a look of disgust.

Excuse me for not falling in line like cattle to the slaughter or not having as "refined" taste in condiments, but my thought is the hot dog is a true libertarian medium--put on it what you like and nobody should judge you.

Mark Brown, a columnist with the Chicago Sun-Times, did an entire series on this subject in 2003. It roused a LOT of sentiment in the city.

This topic probably belongs in the Coffee Shop, but that's for the admin's to decide.

It is your Chicago bias and it should be recognized as well as thrown out. I joke, but seriously, I don't know how many times I was mocked and sneered at because I put ketchup and mustard ONLY on my hot dog.

Everytime the response was the same, "you want to do what, with your what!? What about the pickle slice? The tomato? The chili!? Ending with a look of disgust.

Excuse me for not falling in line like cattle to the slaughter or not having as "refined" taste in condiments, but my thought is the hot dog is a true libertarian medium--put on it what you like and nobody should judge you.

Mark Brown, a columnist with the Chicago Sun-Times, did an entire series on this subject in 2003. It roused a LOT of sentiment in the city.

This topic probably belongs in the Coffee Shop, but that's for the admin's to decide.

"the hot dog is a true libertarian medium . . . " Priceless! I suppose that in the Windy City, hot dogs are eaten with ketchup only at the University of Chicago. :D

Archived