One Beale

qwertycc

Ditto. I'm presuming the new design will not be too much different than the current one, in terms of style of the new tower. But it'll be interesting to see what they do with the space of the old tower. I also like the idea of a taller building.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said he wanted to make it a single tower to make it a signature tower. So I am assuming he might split the 28 story south tower in half and add the other 14 stories to the 30 story north tower to expand it up to at least 44 stories which is extremely tall compared to majority of Memphis' downtown building. Maybe he'll go bigger than that and top 50 stories. I think the tallest building there in Memphis is about 26 stories. That's like Huntsville. There's a major complaint about a height restriction due to the old downtown district homes in that area. Nothing over 12 stories is permitted. However there's a weakness growing now in that argument and there looks to be a breakthrough by a developer who has threatened the city officials that he would go elsewhere to build if the city didn't raise the limit. So now the word is he's getting his way and will build a 18-20 story building downtown. That would be a huge accomplishment for our city's downtown area which imo is a really nice place. No crime and a nice public park.

Really!? Which building is that? I thought the Sterick building was the tallest? I haven't been there in a long time to remember. But I do remember reading where they said that the north tower of One Beale would be the tallest building in the city and that was at 30 stories. Now that it'll be much taller, I'm hoping for at least 45-50 stories but would be satisfied with 40. I have wanted to move back to Memphis someday. But with the crime problem and the corrupted government (Herenton and Lipscomb to name a couple) there, that's pushed my plans back a few years or so. But I still want to see the city grow and improve to where the rest of the world looks up and not down on the city.

THis is very good news. I agree with Rural KIng, it's encouraging to see Carlisle so willing to change course this late in the game to make it happen. I've thought all along that it should only be one "super tall", along with the Horizon. It's too late for the Horizon, but this is encouraging news for one Beale. It could very well top 600 feet, which, if I've not mistaken, would make it the tallest buiding in Tennessee...Is there a new time table for groud breaking yet??

I wonder if they've considered adding a broadcast antenna to add height to the structure. Maybe make it somewhat decorative so it's not just superfluous.

edit:

Also, in reading the bizjournals article, it looks like the project iwll lose 50 res units, some units were switched to penthouse units, and may gain hotel rooms and/or office space. How much of the 28 story building was the podium? That part can't be added on top. Then subtract the 50 units, which are probably about the same per floor as in the first tower, and hope (but don't count on) the new hotel/office space is added. From the website, it looks like 5 res/floor for non-penthouse floors. Looks like that's 10 floors gone.

So it MAY be possible for something in the 50-range, but I'd settle for 40. Let's just get this puppy built.

This is awesome! I love how Carlisle will adapt the building to what is needed for the current market. If it gets over 600', it could possibly edge out the Bellsouth Building(Batman Building) in Nashville.

For those who aren't familiar with Memphis Skyscrapers, here are the facts.

Top 5:

1. 100 North Main Buidling - 430 ft, 37 Floors

2. Morgan Keegan Tower - 403 ft, 21 Floors

3. Clark Tower - 400 ft, 34 Floors

4. One Commerce Square - 396 ft, 31 Floors

5. Sterick Building - 365 ft, 29 Floors

The One to Beat:

Bellsouth Building (Nashville) - 617 ft, 33 Floors

These statistics were provided by Emporis.com

I think it is definitely possible for One Beale to edge out the Bellsouth Building by number of floors, or some kind of spire. Can't wait to find out!

• 2 weeks later...
Here's hoping they make some headway in the next month or so towards getting financing. There's little doubt in my mind that this project will get built. It's not a matter of if, it's just a matter of when. I think the lending situation will begin easing no later than the end if this year.

^ Thanks for the great info on the details of how this project and it's groundbreaking are taking shape in light of its reformatting. Good to see things are moving forward and that hopefully we will see some dirt moving at some point in the relatively near future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Honestly, knowing Gene and his financial woes over the years and having partnered with him before, this project will never fly as long as he is the one spearheading it. Gene has survived on Wendy's and thats about it. He needs to stick to burgers and keep letting that pay his and Karen's bills. Because his kids will drain it dry just like they do Carlisle Corp. There is a reason he has had to downsize it and still no ground-breaking. They will still be cutting grass and weeds on that lot this time next year.

Archived