One Beale

qwertycc

What did the St. Mary's rendering look like?

And the only compromise I would encourage would be to maybe back One Beale away from the tracks. It looks like it abuts it. Maybe if the property allows it, push it toward Front? I remember someone saying that Carlisle owned the parking lot by Front west from the Orpheum. Same height, maybe preserves more views? The prob with Waterford is that it's built against Front, and there's that parking lot between it and the tracks. That's available, developable land that is wasted, and with projects like this, they will suffer b/c of it.

Under no condition would I want the project shrunk.

Clobber, there is a pretty nice rendering of the new tower on www.downtownmemphis.com under current projects. I really like the new tower, it actually has a sort of crown on it!!!!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the rendering of the St. Mary's tower! Is that what it's going to be called? Also, on the downtownmemphis.com rendering there is a sky bridge that seems as though it connects to the church...or is that just the mixed-use building with the church poking out from behind it?

I'm sorry, but Memphis needs to tell Tigrett, "Thanks for lighting the bridge, but stop with the Cybill Shephard bit against towers and enjoy your penthouse." People like this are what has held Memphis back for YEARS! A while ago, I mentioned how I was having a discussion about Memphis and how it never got the Atlanta growth partly due to the old cotton families who used their pull to get things in the city to stagnate and in their favor...At least it sounds as though the CCC supports it...hopefully they outweigh the opinion of Pat Kerr...blah. If it goes in the favor of One Beale, I think he should connect the towers just to annoy her...sorry...I'm gonna be mad if it doesn't happen!!!!

o...and one more thing! Do these people not see that the revenues made from this building would FAR outweigh the issues stemming from the Southwest corner of Waterford Plaza? If the Office of Planning and Development and the CCC are in favor, one might think it could get built...hopefully we will realize the philosophy that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...i.e....there are MANY people on UP who will go down to the few people at Waterford Plaza and have some Memphis gangsta' lovin' if they cause this project to stagnate! Don't put the heels up just yet...we may need them to show Pat Kerr some justice!

Or click here.

Nice building!

Thanks. That's pretty effin sweet. 27-story oval cylinder. Modern design. Something of a crown. Exactly the kind of thing downtown needs to diversify its skyline. That, along with One Beale if it goes as planned will really complement the current historic structures we have.

Or click here.

Nice building!

That is not the current design.

Sorry that I can't post it yet. I don't know why the CA didn't post a larger version - even the online version was tiny. When we are allowed to post it I'll let you know..

The one at the Memphis Flyer is current but still small

http://www.memphisflyer.com/binary/2a99537...building001.jpg

Interesting how the skyline is growing along the river; w/ One Beale expanding the skyline to the south, and the St. Mary's tower extending it to the north. Wonder how long it's gonna take for some new high rise developments to expand our skyline to the east. Development in DT Memphis seems to be drawn to the mighty Mississippi much more so than St. Louis and New Orleans--where 'scrapers have been rising away from the river for decades.

About the neighborhood opposition to One Beale...Come on guys. Carlisle has essentially split the original One Beale design in two. Wasn't the space b/t the 2 towers facilitated by the revised plan so as not to completely obstruct views from surrounding buildings? I could be wrong. I was under the impression that the increase in height came partly from the architects' need to incorporate such a viewing space. Give Gene Carlisle a break! Waterford residents will still enjoy amazing views of the river. This isn't even about the height. This is about keeping our downtown momentum from taking another blow (and a big one at that) from the fists of people like Tigrett. No offense.

What's FFoR's take on this? I wouldn't be surprised to see Virginia McLean allign her organization w/ Tigrett so she can have even more friends. FFoR has already foiled many of RDC's grand visions for DT (though I wouldn't argue that the RDC's plans didn't have some shortcomings as well). Either way, I'm looking forward to future large-scale projects like One Beale where the various powers-that-be in Memphis are more unified in their vision for Downtown. But first, let's get this baby rollin!

I like the approach of building along the river, especially, with nothing to the west of DT. Its powerful to see nothing but land and all of a sudden, you see civilization just across the bridge. IMO, the Waterfront situation is only a speed bump and the plan will go forward. We are talking about a huge change to downtown Memphis with a lot of upside potential.

Off Topic: I read somewhere that it was proposed that Memphis would get a jumbo tron; I just wanted to know if anyone else has read or heard this as well?

I like the approach of building along the river, especially, with nothing to the west of DT. Its powerful to see nothing but land and all of a sudden, you see civilization just across the bridge. IMO, the Waterfront situation is only a speed bump and the plan will go forward. We are talking about a huge change to downtown Memphis with a lot of upside potential.

Off Topic: I read somewhere that it was proposed that Memphis would get a jumbo tron; I just wanted to know if anyone else has read or heard this as well?

A couple of years ago they were talking about putting a large New York Style one up by Peabody place somewhere. Hopefully it is still in the works.

I don't know if this is what your talking about. A digital billboard...

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...s.aspx?id=93405

I hope this won't be tacky. There are a few digital screens near Peabody Place and atop the Rock and Soul Museum at Fedex Fourm. Peabody Place could become a "Times Square" of sorts for Memphis. IMO its the most attractive intersection in the entire state.

As much as I'd love to see a Jumbotron on top of Peabody Place, I'm beginning to think that it's not going to happen...the article I saw where it mentioned the possibility of this was from 2001 or 2002, so I dunno...but I agree about it being a really nice intersection. I like it along with the intersection of Union and...2nd? It's wherever Autozone Park, the Peabody, and the Doubletree are...

On the topic of One Beale, I was looking through a magazine and saw ads for several hotels...I wonder if Mandarin Oriental is a possibility. I know they have the Mandarin Residences in Dallas...plus, the Mandarin Oriental in New York is REALLY nice!!!

As much as I'd love to see a Jumbotron on top of Peabody Place, I'm beginning to think that it's not going to happen...the article I saw where it mentioned the possibility of this was from 2001 or 2002, so I dunno...but I agree about it being a really nice intersection. I like it along with the intersection of Union and...2nd? It's wherever Autozone Park, the Peabody, and the Doubletree are...

On the topic of One Beale, I was looking through a magazine and saw ads for several hotels...I wonder if Mandarin Oriental is a possibility. I know they have the Mandarin Residences in Dallas...plus, the Mandarin Oriental in New York is REALLY nice!!!

The MO is a jewel.. Never been in but it is very well located; its damn near in the middle of Manhattan. There is supposed to be a nice luxury mall there but never been...

went by the site today...it's so nice there...of course, the Waterford is right next door. Some family friends of ours have a condo downtown, and the rumor in her building is that Pat Kerr Tigrett sunbathes on her balcony in the nude and she doesn't want people from a nearby tower looking down at her!!!

Not to keep slamming, but the Waterford looks kind of like a cheap tower in Destin or Gulf Shores...it would certainly be overshadowed by the architecture of One Beale.

went by the site today...it's so nice there...of course, the Waterford is right next door. Some family friends of ours have a condo downtown, and the rumor in her building is that Pat Kerr Tigrett sunbathes on her balcony in the nude and she doesn't want people from a nearby tower looking down at her!!!

Not to keep slamming, but the Waterford looks kind of like a cheap tower in Destin or Gulf Shores...it would certainly be overshadowed by the architecture of One Beale.

Thats the reason why I think the project is a go. One Beale has to much upside potential to be affected by an old and plain tower. I suggest Pat get a tanning bed.. :thumbsup:

I wonder, could One Beale decrease the size of the floor plan and increase the height to fix obstructed views? The building would be skinnier but taller..

Thats the reason why I think the project is a go. One Beale has to much upside potential to be affected by an old and plain tower. I suggest Pat get a tanning bed.. :thumbsup:

I wonder, could One Beale decrease the size of the floor plan and increase the height to fix obstructed views? The building would be skinnier but taller..

that building is already pretty skinny as it is. if you look at the satelite imagry of the site... its going to be a tight construction. thinner towers lead to different engineering problems as well which in turn means more expensive.

I'm glad that the big glass prism is still there. And now it's 435 ft (or 468 ft) tall instead of 313 ft. That will be awesome! Is this a hollow glass shell or will people be able to get inside there?

I'm wondering if the roof height will be 435 feet and the structure's total height will be 468 feet. Looking at the renderings, it seems like the glass prism extends about 30 feet or so above the roof. That might be why we're hearing two different heights.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived