Grand River redevelopment

egostatistical

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

Thomas Morgan from City Pulse here.

I'm working on a story about the Grand Vision initiative, and I'm interested in getting your folks' thoughts on what you think should be done about riverfront redevelopment. What is your vision?

email removed

I think it would be quite nice to see most of the businesses in the older mid-rises in the central core move to newly-built mid-to-high rise structures on Grand, Capitol and Michigan Avenues, and along the Michigan Avenue corridor. This creates unique, classic space for residential units in the downtown area drawing new residents, which means increased foot traffic and a new energy for Lansing. I think the Lansing Center should reconsider its expansion until they are able to attract the types of conventions and other business that warrant such a project. We need to get people downtown - not just to shop, eat and play - but to live. That's the key. Once peple LIVE someplace, they tend to patronize businesses and other venues in their community and become active in the wealth and overall health of their surroundings. If you have a central core that is used by people during the day and night hours, and then they leave for the suburbs to their home it's not cohesive to building a strong central city. Rolling up the carpets and shutting off the lights at midnight only leaves a desolate city, ripe for crime and other unwanted problems. Okay, okay, I'll get off the soapbox here....

Mr. Morgan, I'd wish you'd have been here, early, before the forum kind of just died. You'd have had much more to make your story, which I'm currently reading. I let you know what I think of the story.

Well along those lines, what do people envision for the Stadium District Cool Cities area (for point of reference, the area is bounded by Kalamazoo to the South, Penn to the East, the Grand River to the West, and Saginaw (including Prudden Place and MW Lofts) to the North)???

Archived