Coal Plant to be built in the TXK area.

bigboyz05

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not having any luck with your link. I thought I had heard a little about a powerplant somewhere down there. Swepco is also building one up here near Tontitown. To be honest I think they were a little slow. Eletrical use during the summers have already been pushing Swepco. They probably should have built one a year or two ago. I hadn't thought about the one down there being a backup for NWA though.

Here's what I wonder:

Where will the coal be shipped through? Fulton's on the UPRR North Little Rock/Dallas-Houston-San Antonio main line (I think used mainly for "directional" running with northbound traffic).

I wonder if it will come through Van Buren and North Little Rock (as much coal bound for plants in Mississippi and Arkansas does) or if it will go via the Kansas City Southern to Texarkana, then cross the "wye" switch in that city and move on UP rails for 15 miles northeast to the new plant.

I'm a rail buff and that should be interesting...I don't think they're running coal trains on that line right now, though there are such trains running on the KCS through TXK.

Rod... there's a "w" missing in the "www." Just link to it, edit the Address field in your browser, and hit Go and it'll work fine.

Anyway I've been wondering when SWEPCO would tell more about this proposal, so I guess that time has come. :D They're definitely spending some money on this.

KJW: I'm not familiar with the rail lines and the coal, but I do know there's a lot of lignite mining occurring south of Shreveport at the site of the Mansfield Civil War battlefield, and there's a rail line that runs north through Bossier City and eventually up through Ashdown along Hwy. 71. I'm assuming they could access Fulton that way, but again I'm not familiar with the rail networks or the world of coal mining, so all I could do would be to speculate.

I'm not having any luck with your link. I thought I had heard a little about a powerplant somewhere down there. Swepco is also building one up here near Tontitown. To be honest I think they were a little slow. Eletrical use during the summers have already been pushing Swepco. They probably should have built one a year or two ago. I hadn't thought about the one down there being a backup for NWA though.

Hey Mith I'm sorry! Here's the corrected link:

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2...news/news02.txt

Rod... there's a "w" missing in the "www." Just link to it, edit the Address field in your browser, and hit Go and it'll work fine.

Anyway I've been wondering when SWEPCO would tell more about this proposal, so I guess that time has come. :D They're definitely spending some money on this.

KJW: I'm not familiar with the rail lines and the coal, but I do know there's a lot of lignite mining occurring south of Shreveport at the site of the Mansfield Civil War battlefield, and there's a rail line that runs north through Bossier City and eventually up through Ashdown along Hwy. 71. I'm assuming they could access Fulton that way, but again I'm not familiar with the rail networks or the world of coal mining, so all I could do would be to speculate.

Hey Brian. This will bring some much needed jobs to the area!

Archived