Developers

annie1719

Does anyone know who the major developers are in the area? I have been reading the threads about all of the projects but rarely is the developer mentioned. This is odd as developers are generally always mentioned with their building or land development.

Please respond to this thread if you know the developer or architect involved in any new development in the Charleston area.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know who the major developers are in the area? I have been reading the threads about all of the projects but rarely is the developer mentioned. This is odd as developers are generally always mentioned with their building or land development.

Please respond to this thread if you know the developer or architect involved in any new development in the Charleston area.

I know several, but this area is sort of unique in that the developers liek to fly under the radar more often than not. Clement Crawford and Thornhill (Robert Clement), McAlister Development, The Beach Company, Ginn Development (national developer with several projects locally), Richard Coen (various company names),and many more. They often form separate LLC's for different projects so the names of the companies sometimes change, but the players are pretty much the same,

Did you have any specific developments in mind where you'd like to know who the players are?

• 2 weeks later...

There's some great stories here. Bobby Ginn bought the Sea Pines Company in Hilton Head 20 years ago. And almost immediately went into financial distress. It was big news at Hilton Head. There were even bumper stickers that said "Honk If Bobby Owes You Money". He is reputed to be one of the greatest salesmen in the country. The Beach Co. are about as good as it gets for building their type of communities. Kiawah is one of the most carefully planned developments in the country. They are very, very, good. And very expensive. In the past Kiawah has been hampered somewhat by it's remoteness, lack of commercial amenities, and access via the extremely dangerous Bohicket Road. But I understand that has changed in the last few years with new shopping centers and such.

I know several, but this area is sort of unique in that the developers liek to fly under the radar more often than not. Clement Crawford and Thornhill (Robert Clement), McAlister Development, The Beach Company, Ginn Development (national developer with several projects locally), Richard Coen (various company names),and many more. They often form separate LLC's for different projects so the names of the companies sometimes change, but the players are pretty much the same,

Did you have any specific developments in mind where you'd like to know who the players are?

There's some great stories here. Bobby Ginn bought the Sea Pines Company in Hilton Head 20 years ago. And almost immediately went into financial distress. It was big news at Hilton Head. There were even bumper stickers that said "Honk If Bobby Owes You Money". He is reputed to be one of the greatest salesmen in the country. The Beach Co. are about as good as it gets for building their type of communities. Kiawah is one of the most carefully planned developments in the country. They are very, very, good. And very expensive. In the past Kiawah has been hampered somewhat by it's remoteness, lack of commercial amenities, and access via the extremely dangerous Bohicket Road. But I understand that has changed in the last few years with new shopping centers and such.

I work with alot of these companies often. I can tell you that the Beach Company is a 1st class outfit. They typically focus on high-end products, but they can adapt to other product types.

The Fresh Fields development was intended to bring the amenities of a small "downtown" to Kiawah and Seabrook. And to some degree, I guess it has. The last time I was out that way, its seemed to be relatively busy..,. but thats still way out there.

Archived