Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colin

Conserving Arizona's Future

6 posts in this topic

I've been involved with this for a while, but I thought I'd post now as the election is approaching and I know that all of you want to be good, informed voters.

Prop 106 (not to be confused with 107 aka "Protect Marriage Ammendment") is on the ballot as Conserving Arizona's Future (click link for extensive details). It's being sponsored by the Sonoran Institute, who generally work with communities in the Southwest to create sensible developments with a conservation mindset.

Quite a bit of undeveloped land in Arizona (especially in the desert) is state trust land. Currently, state trust lands are sold off to the highest bidder basically whenever the oversight committee sees fit to sell it. This specific proposal would set aside 694,000 acres as a conservation reserve (click on the link to see the map of the lands). The proposal also would require purchasers of other state trust lands not in that 694,000 acres to incorporate their developments into the existing development plans of local municipalities (i.e. - smart growth).

Please read over the info on the above link for the Sonoran Institute or their election site here: http://www.conservingarizonasfuture.com, because there's certainly more involved in this than what I can type out. I can't tell you to vote either way, but I will say that very few have voiced opposition thus far, and would just encourage you to read over the facts on the measure.

Thanks for reading!

Opponents fight to keep area rural

Prop 106 is not specifically mentioned but is alluded to as "an initiative in November allowing it to be conserved."

It's not only conservation of the Santa Cruz Valley from sprawl, but keeping developers from just subverting the less-developer-friendly Pima County and going over the line to build (looking at you Village at Red Rock and Smith Ranch), thus creating huge gaps between development, not to mention the sprawl issues.

This is really an important initiative in this respect, as it fosters smart growth and not this sort of irresponsible development. If you haven't already, please do look at the links above and learn about the measure.

Kind of a montage from AZ Central. "Rivers pushed to the brink". Arizona really is a paradox to me. So many people moving here, with limited sustainable resources. The Desert has majically perfect weather in the winter. But At what point are things like water, effectively tapped out. Anyone who doesn't think this could happen, is short sighted.

I wanted to update this since this story relates to the article in my previous post on this thread.

This seems to be the nature of these sort of massive developments in the Tucson area: they're planned, there's a public backlash, some of the work may start, the proposal is scrapped. In this particular case, it's not a bad thing, but it unfortunately seems to be consistent with in-fill proposals as well, although, hopefully, many current projects will persevere.

2,500-home subdivision delayed anew

Prop 106 failed only by about 50,000 votes, and now, especially in Pima County, the fallout is beginning as some of the lands which would have been protected are parceled off to developers, mining interests and others who aren't serving the best interest of the land.

Initiative results upset land-conservation plans