H.H. Gregg store opening in Hickory

suburban george3

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't wait to see them expand into the Triad. :thumbsup:

While it's fun to haggle prices since they're on commission there, the stores around Charlotte haven't really affected anything and don't spur growth like Circuit City's and Best Buy's seem to. By that I mean when they draw traffic to the other stores as anchors of a strip. Every time I go into an HH, it seems dead compared to its counterparts in the same area. I think their drawback is the lack of computer products while CC's is the lack of appliances. I would assume computers bring in a lot more traffic though, especially this time of year.

Hmm, I wonder if there is an electronics big box naming trend: BB, CC, HH.

Secret to shopping at an HHG: find out their employee discount and demand that be the price you get (they still make a commission off of it.) They'll eventually cave. My friend saved $800 off of his $3300 TV he just bought. It's too bad they don't sell a lot of car electronics cuz that has some CRAZY markup (as in close to 60% sometimes.) Have fun.

HH Gregg is a great place to demand a bargain. I got my refrigerator for $450 less than the marked price and I got my TV for $200 less and they threw in the $350 stand for it for free. I didn't even have to ask for an employee discount...I just had to start walking out the door and of course, they stopped me and asked me to make an offer. 10 minutes later after talking to a manager, they gave me the items at the prices I requested.

Such a small amount of effort got them to knock $1000 off my total price. I love that place.

I would never accept the price on the tag there.

Was driving behind Valley Hills Mall today in Hickory and was kindly surprised to see that an H.H. Gregg Electronics store is under construction. It's amazing the retail this area attracts, I would have thought they would have hit the other larger NC markets before Hickory.

The Unifour area is one of the larger NC markets. It is the fourth largest MSA in the state.

Just a few years ago, this was an empty area. When I first moved to the area, Catawba Valley Blvd was under construction. Now it has more retail than any other single part of town. I think the reason Hickory continues to attract big retail is because the Unifour area is home to over 350,000 people. It continues to grow at a fairly fast pace and I do think that (hopefully) the household income is increasing.

Still there should be one in the Triangle and the Triad by now I mean really.

You're right, you would think there would be. I'm sure they will expand there before long. They don't always go by city or metro size, so who knows what the hold up is or the criteria for expansion.

The Unifour area is one of the larger NC markets. It is the fourth largest MSA in the state.

MSA Populations 2004 Census Estimate

1. Charlotte - 1474734

2. Raleigh - 914680

3. Greensboro Highpoint - 667542

4. Durham - 451212

5. Winston Salem - 441607

6. Asheville - 387248

7. Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton - 352734

8. Fayetteville - 347751 (may be larger than Hickory now)

1. Charlotte - 1474734

2. Raleigh - 914680

4. Durham - 451212

6. Asheville - 387248

You know well that when considering the overall state though, GB-WS and RalDur are considered single metros. Not factually, but by the public.

1. Charlotte - 1474734

2. Raleigh - 914680

4. Durham - 451212

6. Asheville - 387248

The Unifour area has been considered the fourth largest MSA in the state. Check the Catawba County, Caldwell County, Alexander County, and Burke County government sources, in addition to all the communities, and you'll find I'm by no means alone in stating it. As of census 2000, it remained 4th. It may have changed with the changes in the way MSA is defined and any expansions or contractions, but it was a fact that not very long ago, it was the fourth largest official MSA. It does look as though Asheville has passed it, as it has had 2 counties added since 2000. Fayetteville has decreased in size since 2004, and Hickory has moved considerably higher, so it remains ahead as of 2005 with an estimate of nearly 356,000. In any case, it is still one of the state's larger areas population wise.

Archived