Lieberman gets what he deserves

voyager12

i agree with that statement. i'm not 100% positive 9/11 would have even happened if gore/lieberman were in the whitehouse.

I have a hard time believing that. Muslim extremism has existed for decades, and probably will exist for decades more. I highly doubt they really care who's in the white house; Muslim extremists hate American culture, period, and I don't think it would have made a lick of difference WHO got elected.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Muslim extremists hate American culture, period, and I don't think it would have made a lick of difference WHO got elected.

They absolutely don't hate American culture, society, etc. That is a mistruth put forth by our Administration to detract from it's failed foriegn policy and the alliances it has made with various bad regimes in the Middle East. What they do hate is American interference in Middle East affairs, the establishment of American bases in what they consider their holy lands (Saudi Arabia), the proping up of very unpopular dictatorships (Saudi Royal Family, Pakista, Kuwait, etc), and unconditional support for Israel which has occupied Arab land beyond Israel's borders since the 1967 war.

The United States under the guidance of Bush Sr. taught Al Queda and other groups how to fight and defeat another Superpower, the Soviet Union, by using terrorist methods. The Reagan/Bush administration even equipped them with terrorist weapons. These methods were very effective as the Soviets withdrew from the region in defeat. The terrorists that have attacked the USA are a direct result of 26 years of Bush family meddling in the middle east.

Lieberman is a very bad leader for siding with this bunch, which has directly caused the deaths of so many people, and deserved to be voted out.

It is interesting to see how people view Lieberman depending on which political context you are viewing him in. As a progressive Democrat, I view Lieberman as someone who has betrayed core Democratic values by supporting a needless bloody war and imitating Republicans by invading family privacy and moralizing over the Terri Schiavo drama when it should have been left to the husband to decide. He also took it upon himself to sanctimoniously shake his finger at Bill Clinton, the then leader of his party, for actions in his personal life that had no bearing on the how the country is run. But Joe has no qualms about leading the marching band about a war that is getting worse and worse by the day and singing the praises of Bush. Sure sounds like a Republican to me. He is a closet conservative and is going to run his sneaky independent campaign by winking at Republicans so they vote for him and BS'ing moderate Democrats so they also support him. What a soulless unprincipled hack Joe Lieberman is.

And what is Ned Lamont? No one knows because he's a one-show-Joe. BTW, Ned Lamont when he was running Greenwich sided with more Republicans than Lieberman ever did. It doesn't look like Bill Clinton holds much of a grudge, he was just around last week polling for Lieberman. Again, one mans Nirvana is another man's nightmare. Joe supports most Democratic causes, he just flops when he see's fit. I'd rather a guy that does what he wants instead of some political shill for his party. Party line guys aren't worth a crap in my book, what exactly do they bring to the table other than toeing the party line and rubber stamping partisan rhetoric?

And what is Ned Lamont?

He is Democratic nominee for US Senator for the state of CT. Lieberman has been voted out of this role which pretty much sums it up. This country is headed down the toilet (if not already there) by the Republican party and we don't need Democrats that essentially agree with that party's war mongering. It doesn't matter if Lieberman has voted with Democrats most of the time because most Democrats will also argue the party is broken which is why it lost control of congress in the first place. The Democratic party has to stop being a shrill party of just 17 states.

Lamont was voted in because Democrats are sick of this status quo and want change to take place.

Well, here's the reality, not everyone is a Democrat. Here's the other reality, Joe Lieberman might just beat out Ned Lamont for Senate in November. At that time the whole State of Connecticut will have spoken, one way or the other, not just one party's worth. It's Lieberman's right to run as an Independant if he chooses. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the whole reason for running because of the fact you think you can do better than the other guy? Well, Big Joe thinks he can do better, he has the opportunity, and he's going for it, as a Democrat or as an Independant.

The country needs more guys like Joe, not as a Republican shill, but as a free thinker that doesn't just regurgitate the party line, whichever party that may be. He didn't bend over for the party? Aww, poor Democrats, get over it, everything isn't black and white. Not everyone is far-left Liberal or far-right Conservative. There is indeed some room for people in the middle, which is most everyone. It doesn't mean people are bad people because they didn't "choose a side" or whatever horse crap.

I support Gay marriage, the right to bear arms, the death penalty, I'm pro-Choice, pro first ammendment, and I'm fiscally conservative. What side is that exactly? None is the answer. The Democrats have been handing the country over for years and it isn't because of the Joe Liebermans. It's because they can't keep their eye on the ball. They need to unseat the worthless Nancy Johnson's of the world. There's a Republican shill for you. Stop wasting the effort on their own party, it's common sense. Why didn't Ned Lamont go after Jodi Rell? He's a stronger candidate than DeStefano and Malloy. No, he'd rather try and cherry pick from his own party. I'm tired of hearing the sour grapes coming from the Democratic Party about Joe Lieberman, they made their bed, now they can lie in it....

Ned Lamont represents the majority of American's attitudes towards the war in CT and beyond. He won because he refuses to go along with the happytalk and outright lies that the Republican Party spews. Joe has no problem lying which is why he is such good friends with Karl Rove. You can bash the Democratic Party all you want but as a Gay American I don't pay any attention or respect a party and president that is homphobic from the top down and uses hatred to demonize and divide, on the social issues and brands anyone who disagrees with the war "unamerican" Democrats are not perfect but we are also not bigots. If that's the party Joe Lieberman admires so much and you support, its all yours.

Well, here's the reality, not everyone is a Democrat. Here's the other reality, Joe Lieberman might just beat out Ned Lamont for Senate in November.

Maybe, maybe not. Lieberman had the entire Democratic party machine behind his campaign, and a number of organizations worked to get out the vote for Lieberman, and he still lost. All of that supports shifts to LaMont now, and Lieberman is isolated. He can no longer run the kind of campaign that he has in the past and he needs to quickly figure out how he is going to get elected with no money, all of his traditional support gone, and no party apparatus. Ironically Lieberman's biggest supporter now is the GOP which will most likely support him over their own candidate. I would never vote for anyone who has gotten into bed with Karl Rove, GW Bush and Dick Cheney and its no surprise all of them have spoken out in support of Lieberman this week. :sick:

Lieberman'supporters need to resign themselves to the fact their candidate is done and work to make sure the CT seat stays in Democratic hands. Else they will end up with a neutered senator, who will owe a lot of favors to the GOP, and is happy to "Stay the Course".

The Democrats are divided? That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. Sure, there's some division over the war in Iraq.. but wars are usually temporary (I'm hoping this one is more temporary than it currently seems to be)...

But Republicans have some MAJOR ideological differences to get over.. and this article details how one group is fighting to oust moderate Republicans in order to get hardline conservative ones in office. http://www.startribune.com/587/story/609789.html

This deals with the GOP primary in Rhode Island. If the current senator gets ousted, the Republicans can kiss their senate majority good bye!

Ned Lamont represents the majority of American's attitudes towards the war in CT and beyond.

Yeah, but what are his other issues? He doesn't have any, he's the clown that can only make balloon animals, once he's out of balloons, the kids go away. And I love how you know how every American feels. And please don't get all high and mighty how the Republicans lie, the Democrats sure do their share as well. It's the nature of the game brother, both sides lie through their teeth, to think otherwise is being naive. Personally, I can't wait until George Bush and crew get out of office, I'd like to see the Democrats get control again, the religious right have way too much say in everyone's lives, but again, you are focusing on the wrong people. Instead of wasting effort taking out moderate Democrats, maybe they should hulk up and go for some ultra Conservative seats? It should be easy, the whole country feels that way, right?

The Democrats are divided? That's the biggest load of BS I've ever heard. Sure, there's some division over the war in Iraq.. but wars are usually temporary (I'm hoping this one is more temporary than it currently seems to be)...

But Republicans have some MAJOR ideological differences to get over.. and this article details how one group is fighting to oust moderate Republicans in order to get hardline conservative ones in office. http://www.startribune.com/587/story/609789.html

This deals with the GOP primary in Rhode Island. If the current senator gets ousted, the Republicans can kiss their senate majority good bye!

Gimme a break, the Democrats are absolutely divided. They have been for ages. They have been in disarray since Bill Clinton was in office. They don't know if they are coming or going, a perfect example is they haven't been able to field a person to take out the single most idiotic Republican Candidate ever!! I guess you fight BS with BS, right?

And the other thing sounds familiar, doesn't it? A group of Democrats fight to oust moderate Democrats... you guys really need to realize that the Democrats suck almost as bad as the Republicans do....

^^^

I miss Paul Wellstone.

Here's a little quiz:

Who said this?

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

I'm a Democrat but must agree with an earlier post that asked why the Democrats couldn't field a candidate who could beat one of the worst presidents in American history.

If you can't beat a nobody like him, a man with average intelligence (at best), a man so corrupt he has Carl Rove calling the shots.....

If the Democrats nominate Kerry again, I'm moving to Canada.

Maybe, maybe not. Lieberman had the entire Democratic party machine behind his campaign, and a number of organizations worked to get out the vote for Lieberman, and he still lost. All of that supports shifts to LaMont now, and Lieberman is isolated. He can no longer run the kind of campaign that he has in the past and he needs to quickly figure out how he is going to get elected with no money, all of his traditional support gone, and no party apparatus.

I think you don't know Connecticut politics very well. I'll give you a quick review. In 1988, a very popular Republican Senator by the name of Lowell Weicker was opposed for his seat by the Attorney General, Joe Lieberman. Weicker was a heavy favorite, and still lost the election. A few years later, he decided to shoot for Governor, and lost the primary to another very popular Republican, John Rowland. He decided to create his own party, "A Connecticut Party", and go for it anyways. He won, winning by 3% against his former fellow Republican, with the Democratic challenger (Bruce Morrison) a distant 3rd. He did this by garnering a large portion of the Democratic vote (see where I'm going with this?). He did this as an independant, with no one on his side. Joe Lieberman is more popular here than Weicker ever was. Weicker was just in the paper the other day with Ned Lamont, supporting him all the way. I'll remind you that Weicker is the guy that said he opposed an income tax, but then immediately imposed one, and arranged for the Hartford Whalers to be sold to an out-of-state entity for less than the local bid. he now sits on the Compuware Board of Directors. Weicker is easily one of the most hated human beings in the State of Connecticut. So Lamont is hanging out with his own type of scum, and even worse, it's local Connecticut scum. At this point, Lamont is already preaching to the choir. If Joe Lieberman gets 75% of the Republican vote, which he should, and 30% of the Democratic Vote, which he can, then he'll remain our Senator....

Nothing you describe is unusual in state politics and you are making the mistake of confusing an election for Governer vs that of US Senator. You ought to note the connecticuit party that was started then is no more which will be the fate of any party that Lieberman tries to start. Also, a vote for Governer is quite different than a vote for Senator as the latter is responsible for bringing Federal dollars to the state. By losing his party affiliation, Lieberman will be fairly useless to the state in that matter and don't underestimate that fact along with defeating the Republicans in the Senate on what Democratic voters might do. Democrats remember the effect that Nader had in Florida on Gore in 2000 and are not willing to make that mistake again.

Nothing you describe is unusual in state politics and you are making the mistake of confusing an election for Governer vs that of US Senator. You ought to note the connecticuit party that was started then is no more which will be the fate of any party that Lieberman tries to start. Also, a vote for Governer is quite different than a vote for Senator as the latter is responsible for bringing Federal dollars to the state. By losing his party affiliation, Lieberman will be fairly useless to the state in that matter and don't underestimate that fact along with defeating the Republicans in the Senate on what Democratic voters might do. Democrats remember the effect that Nader had in Florida on Gore in 2000 and are not willing to make that mistake again.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, because that's exactly where this thread is going...

the republican senator from RI is hardly a republican. he's republican by name only. i don't see what he has to do with any of this and he stands a great chance at winning his election. he stands for what his constituents stand for (much like joe lieberman, regardless of what the democrats who happened to vote in the primary wanted, which ended up being a pretty close vote). lincoln chafee is a social liberal (much like lieberman) and he doesn't go along with everything the republican party goes with. in fact, he's got almost all my same core feelings on the important issues. it's almost surprising he's a republican. but he's not as far to the left as many democrats, which is a good thing if you ask me. i generally vote democrat, but i'll be voting for chafee, just like if i was still in CT, i'd have voted for lieberman in the primary and i'd be voting for him as an independent.

who really gives a crap what happened to the connecticut party. leiberman is running as an independent, much like a few other current senators. what difference does it make? i firmly think that if we had more people like that in congress, we'd be in a better place.

It's kind of like slitting your own wrist to prove your knife is sharp. If the CT residents want to hold Bush accountable for the disgraces he has brought on this country, they will elect Lamont. Else we get two more years of Bush breaking the laws of the land and congress, including Lieberman, doing nothing about it. I am surprise the good people of CT are so easily duped.

However, its still 80 days until the election.

latest quinnipiac poll:

lieberman 53%

lamont 41%

schlesinger 4%

this is of everyone in CT, not just the CT democrats. i think it's pretty obvious that lieberman will most likely win.

Yes I saw that today. I hope Lamont loses badly in Nov!!!!!

It's kind of like slitting your own wrist to prove your knife is sharp. If the CT residents want to hold Bush accountable for the disgraces he has brought on this country, they will elect Lamont. Else we get two more years of Bush breaking the laws of the land and congress, including Lieberman, doing nothing about it. I am surprise the good people of CT are so easily duped.

or maybe the people of CT think that lieberman does a good job at representing their interests in teh senate. i don't think they were duped, as much as i hate bush and his administration.

Oh come on man get off it now. The Democrats are not all thay great either. Both parties have corruption and they lie. The more of your posts I read, the more I want Leiberman to win. Granted I am moderate and nowhere near close to the far right or the far left for that matter.

I bet the democrats gain 5 seats in the senate with Lieberman winning.. shortly after the election, he'll announce he's switching to the republican party or caucus with the Republicans, giving them a majority in the senate to the dismay of well over 50% of Americans.

I think Lieberman is an idiot when it comes to this. He lost his primary and he just has to claw his way back into the senate by getting support from the RNC and conservative Connecticut voters.

It just shows how selfish Lieberman is.. and how much of a sore loser he is.

It just shows how selfish Lieberman is.. and how much of a sore loser he is.

or how much he realizes that CT wants him in the senate?

seriously... the only people on this forum who seem to be in favor of lieberman are those who actually live in CT. while i don't live there currently, i did just 2.5 years ago and i voted for him the last time he ran and would if i still lived there. are you all saying that the people who live in CT don't know what's good for their state or do you think they should forget about their state and think about what everyone else wants? i think they're doing the right thing... each state has 2 senators, vote for those you want in office from your state, let CT vote for who they feel is right for their state. the CT consensus on UP seems to be lieberman.

Archived