6th Street and Seward area developments

GRDadof3

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How'd that slip under our radars? :) I like the windows.

Joe

Because it just started back up :).. I drove by there Wednesday night and it was still all boarded up and I thought "Hmmm.. wonder when work is going to start again here".. nice to see it progressing.

• 3 weeks later...

Because it just started back up :).. I drove by there Wednesday night and it was still all boarded up and I thought "Hmmm.. wonder when work is going to start again here".. nice to see it progressing.

I drove by there this morning along Seward. It really is coming along. Sorry no camera :( Isreals sandblasted the south Widdicomb building recently - looks nice :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Going to town. It looks like they are doing the nice green and black siding that they used on the Israel's showroom building next door:

492893614_167bc7c838.jpg

The NE corner:

492916149_57cd03bb02.jpg

Patios:

492916161_a4a60863ac.jpg

This side looks finished:

492916175_fc219fe490.jpg

East side has a long way to go yet:

492916185_870fa2439c.jpg

For those trying to jog the memory of what this will look like, here ya go:

215359569_d9bc4f62b9_o.jpg

GRDad, I haven't been keeping much tabs on this project. Was much of the original building demolished and then rebuilt with new materials? Portion of the building with the Tyvek covering shown in your pictures look way too new to be old structure that has been renovated. That is unless this project is being worked on by some very outstanding contractors.

GRDad, I haven't been keeping much tabs on this project. Was much of the original building demolished and then rebuilt with new materials? Portion of the building with the Tyvek covering shown in your pictures look way too new to be old structure that has been renovated. That is unless this project is being worked on by some very outstanding contractors.

If you head up to some of the earlier photos in this thread, you can see what the existing structure looked like :sick: It's a complete renovation. The only new portions added on so far is the arched brick area on the NE corner.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they re-do the tower.

I love seeing the Lower West Side getting some much needed attention. I've always thought that the old industrial part of the West Side could be a great little hipster enclave. I had always thought it was going to be musicians, but that looks like that is Division Ave/Heartside. Either way great photos and great progress.

PS dave_spruit = davesp ... FYI

Just so people don't think I've forgotten about my favorite city in the world, here are some updates on Bob Israel's other project along Seward:

492893626_dd0b43e48b.jpg

493963838_0b09552896.jpg

Adding trim to the exterior already:

493963856_9abc2f81f1.jpg

I just happened to notice this walkway in the parking lot:

493963846_2985dac093.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm surprised these projects don't get more coverage, other than from me. :P Mixed use, retail showrooms, apartments, office space, new jobs, school being expanded, you name it. It's like a small enclave of development that everyone screams for.

Maybe Mr. Knape will do an update on this soon. In the meantime, here are some photo updates. The Aslan project is really taking shape, and they are in process of adding on the 3rd floor. The style is OK, but considering what they did with that old dumpy warehouse, it's quite the transition. The 5th Street project is also receiving a good-sized expansion on the back.

965752368_913770c8c0.jpg

964944891_3537e15e83.jpg

964945109_cd972b11b8.jpg

964945171_5e865269a0.jpg

964945211_f0f1740138.jpg

964945271_a9c06554b0.jpg

965752302_71f1911697.jpg

600 5th Street from St. Adalbert's School (planned to expand). This neighborhood has a Chicago feel to me.

964945441_c9b9f5fe55.jpg

965752186_c42e2278fd.jpg

Part of the roof is gone from the original building:

965752236_efbebe1458.jpg

964972947_010b3bb7ab.jpg

964973069_ebff98bf30_b.jpg

All for now. :)

I drove past Aslan the other night and it is an amazing transformation. You're right, the architecture is so so (especially the arched front which reminds me of the Israel's on 28th), but for what a hunk of junk it was, I am completely impressed. The area (other than the rental houses) is looking very clean and does have a good neighborhood vibe. Great to see these things come along so quick. And the tower is a cool element!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure they're apartments, not condos. I don't know who is, but I'm sure Israels' would know.

I called Israel's to find out. From what it sounds like they will be live/work condos and not rental apartments. They currently are in the renovation stages and do have a sales center online yet. If you would like additional information or have specific questions they mentioned to call the Isreal's Design for Living office and they would be glad to help or point you in the right direction.

Bleck. I don't like the new roof at all that is going on this building:

493963838_0b09552896.jpg

If they do it to the other Widdicomb factory (the one on the right),

429317602_da3cb62b22_b.jpg

I'll strap myself to something (not quite as effective as the wrecking ball at city hall or that crazy lady strapped to the chopped down tree in HH)! :)

Other than the roof, the project is looking great.

Joe

Bleck. I don't like the new roof at all that is going on this building:

I had to go to the other thread to figure out what you meant. I kept looking at that picture thinking, all I see is a stair or elevator tower. There's nothing going on with the roof!

I get it now. Are they just adding a sloped roof, or an entire floor?

I had to go to the other thread to figure out what you meant. I kept looking at that picture thinking, all I see is a stair or elevator tower. There's nothing going on with the roof!

I get it now. Are they just adding a sloped roof, or an entire floor?

An entire floor with a sloped roof. I don't think it's that bad personally.

My problem is that these are what I would call "heritage" buildings in our community. The Widdicomb factories were classic examples of Grand Rapids designation as the furniture capital of the world. I think that messing with these buildings is just a bad idea. But maybe I'm just too much of a historian. :)

Joe

An entire floor with a sloped roof. I don't think it's that bad personally.

I'm a history buff with a different take on this development. I've always loved the Widdicomb building(s) and would hate to see them torn down. I don't think anyone expected to fill them with more industry. So I'm happy that they can be converted into residences/offices while maintaining the general structure of the buildings. I really do hope that they don't wipe the "John Widdicomb Co." off the side. If these buildings are reused it saves them from the rubble heap and also pays homage to GR's furniture history.

I'm a history buff with a different take on this development. I've always loved the Widdicomb building(s) and would hate to see them torn down. I don't think anyone expected to fill them with more industry. So I'm happy that they can be converted into residences/offices while maintaining the general structure of the buildings. I really do hope that they don't wipe the "John Widdicomb Co." off the side. If these buildings are reused it saves them from the rubble heap and also pays homage to GR's furniture history.

You guys are going to make me track down that article, aren't you? :lol:

It said that the South building will look very much like the the North building (the left will look like the right):

315908217_5ef3653e91_b.jpg

OK, here is a little bit of historical info and renovation details in this article from February:

http://www.mlive.com/bdw/stories/index.ssf...&thispage=1

Just to give some perspective to what we are talking about. Here is the addition going on the top, with the "hipped" roof. It has a pretty low profile, so you can barely see it. The current South building also has an extra story at one end, so the addition will wrap behind it (much like the North building):

1204405145_5af3be8842_b.jpg

The only part of the added floor seen from Seward:

1204630439_0a8470d0c3_b.jpg

From the backside. What a fantastic project!

1205257804_af6176d0fa_b.jpg

An updated pano (not the best quality):

1204422297_3fce47afcd_b.jpg

Archived