6th Street and Seward area developments

GRDadof3

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen various references to out-of-state companies. Have any moved in, or they still in the negotiating phase?

Joe

Two articles about Bob Israels' work going on in the Business Journal this week. One common theme that he reiterates is that he has had quite a bit of success luring out-of-state companies to see his projects, by adding unique but low cost office and retail product to the marketplace in GR. He also says that people are very impressed by what they see in this area.

I've seen various references to out-of-state companies. Have any moved in, or they still in the negotiating phase?

Joe

Scratch that earlier post. There are actually three articles in the Business Journal about Israels and this area.

Here's somewhat of a breakdown of various snippets:

) (in regard to 600 5th St Widdicomb Bldg undergoing renovations right now) Work on that five-story structure is expected to finish in mid-August, but the building

Fantastic news. Looks like Israel is looking to bring some of the shine back to our Furniture city moniker. Can't wait to hear who these companies are!

I do think he is right in that there is a lot to be said for the quality of workforce in Grand Rapids and the affordable living / affordable rent. More people need to get that word out.

Joe

Fantastic news. Looks like Israel is looking to bring some of the shine back to our Furniture city moniker. Can't wait to hear who these companies are!

I do think he is right in that there is a lot to be said for the quality of workforce in Grand Rapids and the affordable living / affordable rent. More people need to get that word out.

Joe

With words like "independent design corporations" and "balance of all the high-end furniture companies", it does definitely sound like he's building a new furniture marketplace and "tech" center.

But I'm thinking it will be more residential furniture based rather than office furniture. No? As I mentioned, it'd be cool to open up a small boutique hotel down there.

Oh Eridony, his sons run the Israels Company, and they are stuck on 28th Street. And they own more land on 28th at East Beltline apparently, probably where Ethan Allen and Grand Rapids Lighting used to be as part of that new retail development planned.

With words like "independent design corporations" and "balance of all the high-end furniture companies", it does definitely sound like he's building a new furniture marketplace and "tech" center.

But I'm thinking it will be more residential furniture based rather than office furniture. No? As I mentioned, it'd be cool to open up a small boutique hotel down there.

I agree, this is looking to be more specific to residential furniture, however, keep in mind some of the big office furniture companies do produce residential / home furniture - some of it is extremely successful and recognizable. It'd be very cool for Haworth, Steelcase, Herman Miller and Knoll to have a presence in this area. I'm thinking along the lines of what Herman Miller does (and probably the others as well) in major markets, which is have a design center/showroom/sales office that feature both home and office furniture.

Oh Eridony, his sons run the Israels Company, and they are stuck on 28th Street. And they own more land on 28th at East Beltline apparently, probably where Ethan Allen and Grand Rapids Lighting used to be as part of that new retail development planned.

Thanks, I was wondering if they had a personal stake in 28th street, or if they were just stuck in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Aha! The jig is up. The tenant who is planning to move in by late January appears to be.....(drum roll).......Spectrum Health's "Healthier Communities" program.

Where are they relocating from? If I remember correctly, I've seen the Healthier Communities sign on buildings both on Michigan Ave near the main hospital as well as down in Cherry Hills area. Any idea what'll happen with these places?

Where are they relocating from? If I remember correctly, I've seen the Healthier Communities sign on buildings both on Michigan Ave near the main hospital as well as down in Cherry Hills area. Any idea what'll happen with these places?

The address on the site says 320 Michigan, which I believe is that squat brick building across from the Meijer Heart Center, which houses Women and Children's Services and the Musculoskeletal Center (?). No idea on the Cherry Hills location.

So Spectrum is moving into the Drueke Game Co building? Are they planning anything for their old location?

No, this building is not the Drueke. This is the South portion of the Widdicomb Trade Center. :thumbsup:

This is the Drueke:

1906937229_937ea3df73_b.jpg

Widdicomb South on the left (pre-renovation):

315908217_5ef3653e91_b.jpg

I hope this is just a tenant and not *the* tenant (or tenants) Israel had mentioned. I don't see this bringing many new people into GR, which is what he hinted at (and I hope happens). :)

Joe

According to the Business Journal a week or so ago, the first tenant (Spectrum) is only taking two of the five floors. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

In MiBiz today, there's an article with more information about Israels work on the West side. He also adds that he wants to build a park under the I-196 overpass to act as a "gateway" into the Seward/6th area.

What do you guys think about his view that you can't mix retail and entertainment together? As in, retail won't work near the arena?

In MiBiz today, there's an article with more information about Israels work on the West side. He also adds that he wants to build a park under the I-196 overpass to act as a "gateway" into the Seward/6th area.

What do you guys think about his view that you can't mix retail and entertainment together? As in, retail won't work near the arena?

I love the idea of a park under I-196, although it may be hard to get much to get grass to grow under there.

I don't agree with him about retail not mixing with entertainment though. I could see how it would be bad for retail being near the arena during events when you can't park anywhere unless you want to pay for event parking, but the entertainment draws people to the area so it gives the retail near the venue the chance to be seen by people who don't regularly come downtown. In the end I think retail and entertainment can go together well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to post the before and after shots of this project again. Unbelievable.

Looking SW:

210924714_2a9f87faf3_o.jpg

Looking NW:

2280344620_beb7eeeb96_b.jpg

We went into the Israel's Other Store pictured in your 2nd photo and it was pretty interesting. It's quite a large area. There are big old solid wood pillars all over the place that I think are kind of cool. But, they are detracted from by the plain jane drop ceiling and fluorescent lighting, similar to what I have right above me in my office.

Also, there's this one wall with doors with large mirrors on them every 10' or so. At least 15-20 doors. And I opened one of them, and they lead to a brick wall. I imagine they are there just to cover the wall, but the mirrors really draw your attention and they just don't make any sense to me.

Overall though, it's still a cool space and a great use for that building. And aside from a few minor things, I really like the outside of the buildings as well.

• 2 months later...

Still no indication of what this will be, but the parking lot is done, the landscaping is done, a new "garden" level has been opened up (behind the black fence), and a new canopy roof looks like it's about to go on the Seward Ave side.

2487521657_5d85c3240c_b.jpg

Also in the neighborhood, Turner Ave is being rebuilt into a "gateway" into downtown, complete with bulb outs. Not sure how many people take Turner to get into downtown, but at least it will look better as you drive by on 131. Maybe that's the intent.

2488339048_6bb531fe8f_b.jpg

• 8 months later...

After a long pause, Israels was back at the city seeking Brownfield Tax Credits for his two new projects on Seward (Dreuke and Enterprise Metals Bldg):

From the City Commission meeting agenda:

The developer is Seward, LLC. The development team includes Robert R. Israels and David

Israels. The developers plan to renovate and expand the two buildings which have been

vacant for over five years and have previously been used as scrap metal dump yards. The

renovation of the Drueke building will include the addition of approximately 8,000 square feet,

and the Enterprise building renovation will include the addition of 4,000 square feet. The

properties are considered

• 4 months later...

In response to RegalTDP's other post, here's a pic I took just the other day:

3619476322_b565abfda8_b.jpg

I also noticed a full house of tenants in the newer Widdicomb Bldg renovation:

3618657705_f02b50079a_b.jpg

Anyone want to own an entire block of storefronts on Bridge St? What's up with that?

3618656801_e974f3f2a9_b.jpg

Archived