6th Street and Seward area developments

GRDadof3

• 1 month later...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A month or two ago Enterprise Iron & Metal Co moved out of their building and scrapyard on the corner of 4th and stocking. They had a LARGE aluminum box for a main building and a couple of outbuildings. As well as a large scrap metal pile and some cranes. People waiting to sell their scrap lined up on 4th and Dewey often, and Dewey was often covered in dirt and metal bits.

Anyway, they moved on over to Pannel and almost overnight the property has seen a ton of work. The fences are gone, all of the aluminum siding has been removed, and it appears there is some sort of renovation going on? Also, the former scrap pile has been completely cleaned up, and dug up. Looks A LOT better now.

Anyone know what is happening? (I can see it from my U2 window)

Wow, that's cool. That scrap metal place was always such a culture shock mixed in with all the work going on with Israels' across the street and the nicely renovated buildings to the North. There's also a really nice old building (that they are asking too much for) South of there that is just looking for someone to adopt it, at 607 Dewey.

It looks like it (Enterprise Iron/Metal) was sold to EIMI LLC back in March 2007. That LLC traces back to 15 Ionia (big shocker ^_^ )

A month or two ago Enterprise Iron & Metal Co moved out of their building and scrapyard on the corner of 4th and stocking. They had a LARGE aluminum box for a main building and a couple of outbuildings. As well as a large scrap metal pile and some cranes. People waiting to sell their scrap lined up on 4th and Dewey often, and Dewey was often covered in dirt and metal bits.

Anyway, they moved on over to Pannel and almost overnight the property has seen a ton of work. The fences are gone, all of the aluminum siding has been removed, and it appears there is some sort of renovation going on? Also, the former scrap pile has been completely cleaned up, and dug up. Looks A LOT better now.

Anyone know what is happening? (I can see it from my U2 window)

Chances are, if your building was stripped of its metal, its was hocked there. Thank god its gone!

This makes the walk from Union Square to the bars on Stocking much more pleasant. Can't wait for the Israel projects to be completed!

rallymatt,

I think I'm starting to see the same thing going on across the street. They were both bought by that EIMI LLC back in March, and it looks like they are starting to do some work on this one too. That would drastically clean up that corner.

1907035775_b07911c690_b.jpg

1907785756_e47568b0c4.jpg

1906950683_5d544432b5_b.jpg

1906937229_937ea3df73_b.jpg

A lot of activity in this area now, especially with the work going on at the mysterious Enterprise Metals Building moving along (topics merged):

New parking lot going in:

2021451580_a1f4996fb3_b.jpg

Looking down the tracks along Seward:

2021462394_113ef0c435_b.jpg

The addition on the top of the Aslan project is massive. And the showroom on the first floor looks like it's shaping up:

2020714659_1a65cbf960_b.jpg

And news is out today that American Seating is going to totally renovate this campus at 9th Street for more production work:

2021570988_0c6c5a8c76_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Its these types of rehab projects that makes me wish I had the funds or ability to be a developer. This type of work is exactly what I want to do with my professional career.... *sigh*

I hear yer barking big dog*. :)

(*I'm pickin up what yer puttin down)

IMO I think he should be granted the extension. Per the article:

"Israels said he is seeking the extensions only for buildings he has not yet redeveloped."

If he can continue what he has currently done with his remaining buildings it will continue to be a catalyst for the area. Now if they could just get the rail line that runs along Seward working and connected to the dowtown Central Station :whistling:

Bingo! According to the hard-copy of the Press, the old Enterprise Iron & Metal building and the one across the street are now owned by Israel, and part of the projects that he is seeking Ren Zone extensions on.

In addition to the Aslan project on 7th St, the two old scrap metal facilities are planned for office use:

601 Third St. NW, also known as the

former Drueke Game Co. Israels said

he plans to turn the former factory

and scrap metal dump into an office

building that will house 90 to 110

employees. He said he plans to invest

$10 million into the project.

528 Fourth St. NW, formerly know

as Enterprise Iron and Metal Co. Israel

said this old scrap metal yard contains

a historic building he wants to restore

into a parking lot and a mixed-use

building that could employ up to 20

people. He estimated he will invest $2

million in the property.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/frontpage/pdfs/Bu_Wednesday.pdf

The other portion is the additions and renovations to St. Adalbert School:

2090339796_0c7568659d_o.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Mentioned about a month ago was news that American Seating will redevelop their outdated and mostly vacant facilities between Broadway and Seward (North of American Seating Park) and create up to 50 new jobs, moving several production lines from Canada to this area.

Some more details on this:

) The majority of the current buildings along Broadway will be demolished to make way for a new 108,000 sf manufacturing facility, with docks and truck traffic moved to Seward

) The multi-story historic (?) warehouse portion will be renovated and turned into commercial office space (Like American Seating Park I wonder?).

) No news on what they are going to do with the storage lot that borders 131 (and is sort of an eyesore), which used to be employee parking for the plant.

) American Seating is seeking a Ren Zone extension for this project, and are proposing to invest $8 Million in the project

2118364166_f0a446181b_o.jpg

The building that will be restored:

2021570988_0c6c5a8c76_b.jpg

2020693443_085d836afa_b.jpg

Buildings to be demolished (this will enhance the aesthetics immensely in that area, especially from 131):

2021498616_a699527fb8_b.jpg

The campus from the Southwest corner:

2020678123_a51b55d2ca_b.jpg

Two West Side project gain City approval to extend tax breaks.

"The City Commission gave an extra 15 years of tax-free status to two West Side property owners who promised their developments will outweigh tax losses to the city."

"Israels said he hopes to invest $30.9 million into redeveloping the buildings for commercial and retail uses. He said he expects to create at least 150 jobs and $92,500 in additional city income taxes."

"American Seating Co., also was given Renaissance Zone status for a $4 million to $8 million redevelopment promising to create 20 jobs in an old factory on the north end of the company's campus."

The article on Mlive is here:

Two West Side projects get extended tax breaks

• 3 weeks later...

Some more details about the Aslan project in the Business Journal today.

Israels said two companies have inquired about moving into the three-story structure, which is undergoing renovation work and should be finished in June.

The apartment will have 8,900 square feet of space and will rise five floors, with the last three levels occupying the clock tower that sits on top of the northeast corner of the Aslan. The residence has all the earmarks of being something very special.

HOLY SH**!!!!! That will be amazing... remeber the interest of someone here who wanted to build a furniture expo or something , I think we found our street.

I agree.

Sean, I started a thread last June featuring a great project from UP member walldrug. I believe this is what you are talking about. Check out the thread here.

I agree.

Sean, I started a thread last June featuring a great project from UP member walldrug. I believe this is what you are talking about. Check out the thread here.

that would be it... Something I am really excited about in Grand Rapids is the ever-increasing establishment of neighborhoods. I love little corridor neighborhoods like they have in Chicago (i.e. wrigleyville, licoln park, etc..)

Is there a map out there somewhere that highlights the various areas that are currently defined as a Renn Zone?

If a parcel is not currently in a Renn Zone, is there any possibility of getting the Renn Zone altered to include said parcel? Is it a state or local defined program?

Just a little confused on how the Renn Zone stuff works...

Is there a map out there somewhere that highlights the various areas that are currently defined as a Renn Zone?

If a parcel is not currently in a Renn Zone, is there any possibility of getting the Renn Zone altered to include said parcel? Is it a state or local defined program?

Just a little confused on how the Renn Zone stuff works...

Maps

I think getting Ren Zones extended to projects outside the zone requires an act of congress at the state level (not a state application like Brownfield). I believe the state has put a kibosh on any additional zones (especially since Detroit has hardly used any of them). I'd check with the city's development department to be sure though.

Two articles about Bob Israels' work going on in the Business Journal this week. One common theme that he reiterates is that he has had quite a bit of success luring out-of-state companies to see his projects, by adding unique but low cost office and retail product to the marketplace in GR. He also says that people are very impressed by what they see in this area.

One downer, his sons are trying to get him to build a new Klingman's store along 28th Street instead of locating downtown. However, he says that their new Other Store in the Aslan Building is seeing three times the foot traffic over their old location.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/Ar...0-AC858EAE6EB6}

Archived