6th Street and Seward area developments

GRDadof3

I think that was the plan all along. With the re-branding of Klingmans, the Other Store became redundant competition, canibalizing it's own sales. No real biggy here.

I agree and given the beautiful space the store occupied, I don't see it sitting empty for very long.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

This story is a couple days old, but I thought I'd make mention of the new charter college prep school planned in GR:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/07/online_giant_connections_educa.html

Pretty intriguing curriculum - consider me skeptical - but I'm especially interested in that they chose 801 Broadway for their site. That ought to add some dynamic to that neighborhood... First high school near there since Union moved, right?

• 2 years later...

Being neither "young" nor "hip" I take exception to their marketing strategy. :whistling:

"We are looking to bring in the next group of leaders in Grand Rapids – young, hip, technology-driven professionals seeking a transformable space in a community on the rise," said Jerke.

If this guy is a licensed Realtor I think he's technically in violation of Federal anti-discrimination laws regarding age-ism.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/grand-rapids-west/2015/01/07/west-side/21402261/

Inclusiveness should be the new mantra in 2015. Eesh.

It would be hard to prove his intent. The argument could be made that he meant young at heart since he never specifies an age. Nor has he actually discriminated against anyone; its just marketing right now.

Actually, you don't have to prove intent. Unless you are expressly marketing a property that is an "aging facility" (ie retirement home, etc), you cannot even mention the words age or young. It's like saying in a marketing piece or listing comments: "This neighborhood great for young families." It's illegal.

Print, circulate, post, mail, or otherwise cause to be published a statement, advertisement, notice, or
sign which indicates that the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages,
or accommodations of a place of public accommodation or public service will be refused, withheld from, or
denied an individual because of religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, or marital status, or that an
individual's patronage of or presence at a place of public accommodation is objectionable, unwelcome,
unacceptable, or undesirable because of religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, or marital status.

There doesn't even have to be intent on the Realtor's side. If the public feels it is being denied or made to feel that they are not included in the real estate marketing of the property, they can file a complaint with the State (and will win, I've seen it many times). The first offense I believe is a fine and "retraining" IIRC.

Poor guy stating his target market doesn't even know he's breaking the law haha.

Well if he "is" a real estate professional, he does know he's breaking the law. Being involved in that industry, I know how much it is drilled into the profession to just stay away from anything related to Elliott Larson. Plus it's good for business to be inclusive.

Well if he "is" a real estate professional, he does know he's breaking the law. Being involved in that industry, I know how much it is drilled into the profession to just stay away from anything related to Elliott Larson. Plus it's good for business to be inclusive.

Someone didn't get the memo that Cool Cities isn't cool anymore.

Speaking as a licensed real estate professional in the State of Michigan, if Jerke were a licensed Michigan real estate professional (he's not, I checked) he'd be walking a fine line with his comment for sure.  However - most discrimination laws are applied more strictly to residential real estate, and not commercial.  Since this is office space, I think it'd be unlikely to see any punishment - commercial landlords can refuse to rent to anyone and everyone without disclosing their reasons.  I'm not advocating that it's right to do so, just saying that the burden of proof is somewhat more difficult when it comes to commercial real estate.  I think it'd actually have to rise to the level of refusing to rent to a tenant because it was a group of older individuals, and explicitly saying that "we did not rent to Tenant X because they're too old" before there'd be any grounds for penalties.

Being neither "young" nor "hip" I take exception to their marketing strategy. :whistling:

"We are looking to bring in the next group of leaders in Grand Rapids – young, hip, technology-driven professionals seeking a transformable space in a community on the rise," said Jerke.

If this guy is a licensed Realtor I think he's technically in violation of Federal anti-discrimination laws regarding age-ism.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/grand-rapids-west/2015/01/07/west-side/21402261/

Inclusiveness should be the new mantra in 2015. Eesh.

Speaking as a licensed real estate professional in the State of Michigan, if Jerke were a licensed Michigan real estate professional (he's not, I checked) he'd be walking a fine line with his comment for sure.  However - most discrimination laws are applied more strictly to residential real estate, and not commercial.  Since this is office space, I think it'd be unlikely to see any punishment - commercial landlords can refuse to rent to anyone and everyone without disclosing their reasons.  I'm not advocating that it's right to do so, just saying that the burden of proof is somewhat more difficult when it comes to commercial real estate.  I think it'd actually have to rise to the level of refusing to rent to a tenant because it was a group of older individuals, and explicitly saying that "we did not rent to Tenant X because they're too old" before there'd be any grounds for penalties.

You're probably right Charles. While the companies that move into that space may indeed employ a lot of young, hip (although seriously, who uses that term), I think it does everyone a disservice by devolving to ageism to market a property.

The guy who said it might already be kicking himself for saying it that way.

Anyway, end rant.

Mindscape is breaking from Hanon McKendry (Do More Good) and taking space in the Widdicomb Building, the project mentioned in the article earlier.

AFAIK, Do More Good still plans to move into Arena Place while Franklin Partners guts 25 Ottawa and brings it up to the 21st Century. A lot of moving and shaking (up) going on. :)

Archived