Shreveport mayoral election

Mudbugger

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to start this thread so we don't clog up the development thread with this discussion.

Thanks for the advice SBC.

Mudbugger

:D

I knew you'd do it.

You have a lot of insight to share on the mayoral race, based on your own research. I think this thread can be a wealth of information.

I'm curious, have you heard anything about this Madjun Ali guy? I keep seeing his name pop up in news stories but hadn't seen him until I just looked him up. So he's a 28-year-old Cedar Grove resident. Given his name I'd have pegged him being of Middle Eastern descent, but apparently not. This is going to sound VERY small-townish, but I know his fiancee as it turns out. There can only be one Queena Cooper in this area, right? :lol: And in that age range. I grew up with Queena back in the old neighborhood... it's got to be the same girl.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to start this thread so we don't clog up the development thread with this discussion.

Thanks for the advice SBC.

Mudbugger

Its a shame that Shreveport has a black white issues about who will be the next mayor. I think Dallas,

Atlanta, New Orleans,Houston have all had black or women mayors before. The issue is that Shreveport is a one trick pony town. It needs someone with vision to be a mayor to all sections of Shreveport.

Southern Hills,Queensborough, Allendale to Spring Lake must have equal representation. sometime you need an outside the box person , off the cuff to get the town stirring into action. A Rudy G mixed with Donald Trump

White flight is not the cure . Take care of Southern Hills now. Who is the council person for that area anyway

First off, if you don't even live in Shreveport currently i don't care what your cure all methods are.

We live here and have to deal with the crime, stores closing one day only to reopen in another part of town the next and a lack of representation in our city government.

This isn't a black/white issue but if you want to play that game i will.

The facts are this, black population exceeds the white population.

Whites register to vote more than blacks, whites are more likely to vote conservative.

Also, the more education a person has the more likely they are to vote on a conservative level.

In regards of your white flight statement.

What is wrong for someone to move from a dangerous area?

What about black flight? Black people don't like to live in a crime-riddled area either, should they just stay put?

In closing i believe that if anyone wants their opinions on the future of Shreveport to be heard, then they should live here currently or have only moved away in the past 4 years.

Only then can real Shreveporters say that their opinion is based on first hand experiences. Not like someone who hasn't lived hear in 15-20 years.

Gotta run and get to work,

Vote Jerry Jones for mayor,

Mudbugger

First off, if you don't even live in Shreveport currently i don't care what your cure all methods are.

We live here and have to deal with the crime, stores closing one day only to reopen in another part of town the next and a lack of representation in our city government.

This isn't a black/white issue but if you want to play that game i will.

The facts are this, black population exceeds the white population.

Whites register to vote more than blacks, whites are more likely to vote conservative.

Also, the more education a person has the more likely they are to vote on a conservative level.

In regards of your white flight statement.

What is wrong for someone to move from a dangerous area?

What about black flight? Black people don't like to live in a crime-riddled area either, should they just stay put?

In closing i believe that if anyone wants their opinions on the future of Shreveport to be heard, then they should live here currently or have only moved away in the past 4 years.

Only then can real Shreveporters say that their opinion is based on first hand experiences. Not like someone who hasn't lived hear in 15-20 years.

Gotta run and get to work,

Vote Jerry Jones for mayor,

Mudbugger

Fortunely I own property in SBC

It looks like a late contender has entered the Mayoral race... a 21-year-old clerk at a Shreveport Vitamins Plus store named William McMullan.

An excerpt: McMullan, who lists no party affiliation, said he realizes he's a virtual longshot in the race. "I just want to give it a shot. I want to be president someday, and I've got to start somewhere." :rolleyes::rolleyes: I'm sorry, but the way I see it, why embarrass yourself like this? He claims to have political aspirations, but this will do nothing but kill his potential future political career.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/60809009

Max Malone won't pose any real problem for the Jones campaign.

If memory serves he is a term limited representative like Cedric Glover.

It doesn't do much for a campaign to say "I can't go back to my old job so i want this one!"

Malone and Glover haven't had residence here for a few years and they want us to embrace them as a potential mayor? I don't think so.

Glover and Acree aren't even college grads, so why should we give them the reigns to the city?

Let's not forget Swaine. She needs only 8 hours to get a BA but she still hasn't pursued it.

Call me a stickler or old-fashioned but i want my civic leaders to at least be college educated.

I have noticed more signs up in the Southern Hills area, my home neighborhood, in the past week.

All of the old guard like Swaine and Acree won't find much in the way of support out here.

If i ever got a chance to ask Acree a question in a public forum it would have to be this.

"You seem bent on taking all the credit for the growth of businesses on Youree drive but when will you accept some responsibility for the virtual demise of Southern Hills. Since the Hightower administration began South Park Mall has gone under, the old Sam's has closed and the old AT&T plant is now sitting idle as a warehouse. What would you do to reinvigorate this large part of town that has been largely ignored by your administrations lack of vision?"

I doubt the day will come when i could pose this question but it would be fun to see here backpeddle on this issue.

Mudbugger

• 2 months later...

Okay, this topic hasn't been touched since August, but I'm going to bring it back up. We are now only days from the election, so who will it be? It seems yesterday, a reporter from the Times tried to make Jerry Jones look like a vicious, rabid attack dog when all he did was point out some facts about his opponent. It was merely a matter of time: who was going to make the first move? It wasn't an attack, it was strategy. And I'm very surprised the Democratic party hasn't come back yet... give them time I guess. Because now they're going to run a commercial smearing Jones into the ground... it's almost a given.

So anyway, who do you think will ultimately get the nod? Personally I'm unsure, as I do know very well one of Glover's biggest contributors and that man will stop at nothing to see his puppet, Glover, get elected. My personal livelihood depends heavily on Jones being elected, as Glover is not very friendly with people in my circle.

I do so badly hope that Jones is elected, but I truly believe at this point that it could go either way. With all the uneducated people out there who are going to vote for Glover based solely on the article written against Jones yesterday, and all the people who simply won't vote for a Republican or a white person, I'm actually very concerned. Plus, Jerry didn't help himself with his half-hearted comment about Longview and Minden recently. I know what he meant, but obviously a lot of people - including the mayors of those two cities - clearly took offense and that still might play out against Jones in the end. I CERTAINLY hope not, but that IS the nature of the beast.

Thoughts?

Okay, now that Jones' daughter, Sarah, is out of the hospital he's said that he is still in the race and is moving forward to the election.

An updated story on the Shreveport Times website says that a poll of blood donors has Glover in the lead. Not exactly a scientific poll, so I put no stock in it. I wouldn't even put any stock in it if it had Jones as the winner, because the whole premise behind this poll seems silly to me.

I wonder if the Shreveport Times will report the outcome of that poll tomorrow. I think it is funny that they only made the report that Glover was ahead, not the outcome. I feel the only way they would report it is if Glover won it, not that it matters because it is a sham to give Glover some publicity. Seriously, why would a city elect a mayor that has no college education and who basically now needs a job or he will be applying for unemployment on Nov 8th. Then again why would a district elect a corrupt official who pled guilty and served jail time for demanding a bribe. Maybe that's just me.

I wonder if the Shreveport Times will report the outcome of that poll tomorrow. I think it is funny that they only made the report that Glover was ahead, not the outcome. I feel the only way they would report it is if Glover won it, not that it matters because it is a sham to give Glover some publicity. Seriously, why would a city elect a mayor that has no college education and who basically now needs a job or he will be applying for unemployment on Nov 8th. Then again why would a district elect a corrupt official who pled guilty and served jail time for demanding a bribe. Maybe that's just me.

That is true. That is probably why they all want to forgive him.

I am sad to hear that you know something bad. All I can say is that we have to cross our fingers considering that we are not Shreveport residents. Unfortunately it will affect us if he wins and runs Shreveport into the ground.

That is true. That is probably why they all want to forgive him.

I am sad to hear that you know something bad. All I can say is that we have to cross our fingers considering that we are not Shreveport residents. Unfortunately it will affect us if he wins and runs Shreveport into the ground.

I don't know that he would run all of Shreveport into the ground, but I do feel there are specific companies that would suffer greatly with him as mayor. I won't name those companies... all I will say is that money talks, and Glover's received lots of contributions from certain Shreveport businesses.

Our local liberal rag, The Times, officially endorsed Cedric Glover for mayor of Shreveport today.

Is anyone surprised by this turn of events and the equally unbiased article about minority voting and how it can affect the election. What i took away from it was that white people needn't bother voting because every single black has registered and is going to vote for Glover. Uh-huh, sure.

The black majority in Shreveport is fickle to say the least. They don't register to vote in as large numbers as their white counterparts and they allow one thing to stop them from going to the polls, the weather.

If the weather is bad on Tuesday you can expect low majority(black) turnout and high minority(white) turnout conversely.

The Times has shown it's liberal slant so much this year that they should just call it the Liberal Democrat Times.

Mudbugger

Our local liberal rag, The Times, officially endorsed Cedric Glover for mayor of Shreveport today.

Is anyone surprised by this turn of events and the equally unbiased article about minority voting and how it can affect the election. What i took away from it was that white people needn't bother voting because every single black has registered and is going to vote for Glover. Uh-huh, sure.

The black majority in Shreveport is fickle to say the least. They don't register to vote in as large numbers as their white counterparts and they allow one thing to stop them from going to the polls, the weather.

If the weather is bad on Tuesday you can expect low majority(black) turnout and high minority(white) turnout conversely.

The Times has shown it's liberal slant so much this year that they should just call it the Liberal Democrat Times.

Mudbugger

So, if anyone's actually reading this, I hope you're enjoying the play-by-play! :lol:

The results have taken another turn, this time it's looking better for Jones. With 93 of the city's 131 precincts reporting, Glover has fallen to a 51% lead!!

This is great, but let's hope it continues in this direction.

I've got my fingers crossed for you, Shreveport!!

Archived