Paradise Shoppes of Murfreesboro

Relient J

I really know very little about this new retail development. It's located at the intersection of Medical Center Parkway and Memorial Blvd. This project began months ago at least, but is not much further along than the land clearing phase. They have laid down streets, they have installed walls separating the site from what appear to be drainage areas, and have installed entrance architecture on the Memorial side with the words "The Village" on each brick sign/gate. That leaves me with some confusion about what the final name of the development is going to be. There is an Office Depot that appears relatively young already on site. It appears as though it was orignially unrelated, but the roads within the new development area also lead to the entrance to Office Depot.

I visited the Web site of the company that is going to be constructing this project, The Paradise Group, and was very impressed by the aesthetics of the other retail work they've done in the past. I didn't see any sign of information about their Murfreesboro project unfortunately.

At any rate, my house is within pretty easy walking distance of this development, so this evening I walked down with my camera to take some snapshots:

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01366.jpg

DSC01368.jpg

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01360.jpg

DSC01359.jpg

DSC01358.jpg

Please feel free to post any information you have about this development, and we can add updates as more information becomes available. Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's across from the Nissan dealership. I was driving past there on Saturday and wondering what they were devloping. Sorry I don't know anymore about it.

Is the Nissan dealership a converted strip mall, because that's exactly what it looks like. They could use a renovation. I'm no Chevy fan, but the new Team Chevroletis a big improvment over the old. Now if they could just do something about all those electric poles!!!

This center had originally announced some type of clothing/junior department store, which they never named. They also planned on having one of the Wal-Mart grocery stores before Wal-Mart announced their failed plans to build a full store further up Memorial. I think a bank actually bought a plot on the site to build a branch as well. Also, the office store was built as part of the center.

The Nissan dealership was once a Clark's department store which was a Wal-Mart/K-Mart type store. In the 70's Murfreesboro had Clarks, K-Mart, Rose's, and the neighboring Murfreesboro Athletic Club was called Big K(which was bought by Wal-Mart in the late 70's or early 80's).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

this has to be the slowest moving development i've ever seen! it looks exactly as it did when i moved out of the 'boro in '04. i'm just guessing but i bet they leveled the land in '02/'01. seriously, prime real estate next to the heart of downtown M'boro?! i guess if you can walk there it's not worth going. right?

I envisioned a mixed use development including a low to mid rise bank (10-15 stories), a grocery store (Whole Foods), a clothing store (Stein Mart), a few boutique shops, and no big box parking lots. It would be a tight squeeze for just those development but that parcel is a prime location. I am glad the Walmart Grocery Store was cancelled for the site.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Sad to see the lack of vision and movement on this project. It could have been a model for brownfield redevelopment, but instead it's looking like more of the same crap Murfreesboro gets. Why is the city so against mixed-use and density, especially with dynamic, readily developable sites like this one?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Strong Body, Fast Signs, and a nail salon have opened in the "Village." It looks like Gatti's Pizza has been canceled. It's really too bad that a better development couldn't have filled this space. This location was prime being very close to downtown and on the most heavily traveled corridor in the city.

Archived