Luring the aviation industry to the Midlands

krazeeboi

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the article(s) a while back, and they are indeed exciting. I am just not certain what else there is to say at this point. If they coud land some jobs it would really be beneficial to the area. Particualrly Sumter, which needs some diversification and less dependence on Shaw.

There is a private airline, Satsair, in based in Greenville. They are offering point to point service and are relatively expensive, but they are reporting a big uptick in traffic from business travelers. Their busiest route is the one between Charleston & Greenville. I think we are going to see more of this kind of service and the small planes that are required to handle the business. The above mentioned Hondajet would be an example of this.

service_area_chart.jpg

• 4 months later...

It was reported a few weeks ago that Rolls Royce (aviation division, not automotive) expressed interest in possibly having an operation here in SC. Columbia would certainly be a dark horse here as Charleston and Greenville already have these types companies (an aviation/aerospace cluster is being developed in Charleston), and thus a trained labor pool to draw from, but it would be interesting if Columbia was in the cards.

There is a private airline, Satsair, in based in Greenville. They are offering point to point service and are relatively expensive, but they are reporting a big uptick in traffic from business travelers. Their busiest route is the one between Charleston & Greenville. I think we are going to see more of this kind of service and the small planes that are required to handle the business. The above mentioned Hondajet would be an example of this.

service_area_chart.jpg

• 4 months later...

Premier Air Center/West Star Aviation of suburban St. Louis, a jet-maintenance company, is looking to move to Columbia Metropolitan Airport, bringing 80 jobs and a regular flow of corporate jets. The company is negotiating a lease with the airport for space to service corporate jets and hopes to operate in Columbia within a year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately, Columbia is no longer being considered for the Piper Jet manufacturing facility. A spokesman for the company said that despite its strengths, Columbia did not compare as favorably as competing cities when the company considered some of its key location criteria such as a more established aviation sector and a ready work force.

^They didn't land the plant either. I think Albuquerque is going to get it. They are trying very hard to build up their aviation industry and already have more to work with in that regard than some other cities that were/are under consideration.

Archived