Bemis Townhomes

GRDadof3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is this the end, or is there any way the developer can appeal the denail? Maybe he will tweak it a little and go back and propose it again? This is the kind of stuff we NEED to make Grand Rapids a better place to live, work, and play.

The planning commission has recommended that the city commission deny the project. It will now go to the city commission for their vote. They sometimes overrule the planning commission.

It would be very meaningful if people attended the city commission meeting and spoke out in favor of the project. At a minimum, send emails to the city commissioners.

The planning commission has recommended that the city commission deny the project. It will now go to the city commission for their vote. They sometimes overrule the planning commission.

It would be very meaningful if people attended the city commission meeting and spoke out in favor of the project. At a minimum, send emails to the city commissioners.

Failing that, the developer can revise and resubmit. Perhaps a big ol' EGR McMansion would be approved.

Ok thanks. :thumbsup: When is the next meeting? :D

Failing that, the developer can revise and resubmit. Perhaps a big ol' EGR McMansion would be approved.

They should reapply with more units.

212913415_9667b521e8.jpg

I did a plan for this corner once using one lot more than ICCF used.

I had 8 units based on the Fitzhugh and Hermitage townhouses (above).

212912973_bb9662caae.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

ICCF is appealing the Planning Dept's decision on the Bemis Townhouses. There will be a public hearing on September 26, 7pm, City Commision Chambers, 300 Monroe NW, 9th floor or you can write the City Commission, 300 Monroe NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. We appreciate your support.

I drove by the site just last week. Is the trailer that is East of there a mobile police station? It was one of the few areas in Grand Rapids where I felt a bit nervous being there. I think the new townhomes would be a nice shot in the arm for that area.

I drove by the site just last week. Is the trailer that is East of there a mobile police station? It was one of the few areas in Grand Rapids where I felt a bit nervous being there. I think the new townhomes would be a nice shot in the arm for that area.

Yes, that is the GRPD's South Team trailer.

Daddy, you shouldn't feel nervous there, I ride my bike by there all the time.

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't see any UPer's at the City Commission public hearing on this project tonight. :angry:

A few spoke for the project and a few spoke with concerns (although not categorically against). ICCF made a great argument about density. The planning commission looked at 0.3 acres and 6 townhouses and declared that 20 du/ac was too much for the area (the master plan calls for a max. of 10 du/ac).

ICCF, however, took their 4 platted lots and the City's 19 platted lots that they intend to uses for a park and argued that there is currently 23 legal home sites on 2.2 acres or just over 10 du/ac.

They then suggested that what was being proposed for that same area was only 6 townhouses or 2.7 du/ac.

If approved this neighborhood will actually enjoy 17 FEWER homes than have existed for the past 100 years (23 - 6) AND they will enjoy a brand new 2-acre park. It doesn't get any better than that.

The City Commission will probably vote at their next meeting, so there wasn't any discussion tonight. But, from reading their eyes as the presentation was made, I think that the project is still alive.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my Baxter Newslink newsletter yesterday (10/19). There's a lovely invitation to come and talk about the Bemis townhome project on 10/16/06. So if ICCF is wondering why no one showed up, perhaps its because the invite was received 3 days AFTER the meeting was held.

Maybe someone who reads this will pass it on to someone at ICCF. Sounds pretty typical of the neighborhood association.

Archived