1005 Wealthy St SE

twoshort

• 3 months later...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To save the Uptown Village thread from being hijacked I thought I'd bring this thread back. We know: "the guy from friction records has been working on opening a new bar there. i guess it looks amazing inside." and "it will be a neighborhood pub, no food" and "Members of the Division Ave Arts Coopearative [http://www.thedaac.org] are opening it" from other topics.

Is there any new info?

Could have sworn that my step-cousin owns that building with some friends, (he is the lead singer of mustard plug) in know they have run into some problems with the floor being crappy and some financial partnership issues to hold things up... maybe i can get some more information over the holidays.

Could have sworn that my step-cousin owns that building with some friends, (he is the lead singer of mustard plug) in know they have run into some problems with the floor being crappy and some financial partnership issues to hold things up... maybe i can get some more information over the holidays.

I'll just keep talking to myself. It looks like they tried to get the liquor license from the Three Crowns Bistro last week, anyone know if they had any luck?

They have the license. Bear Manor owns and will renovate the building; the original principals,including, I believe, joshleo's singing stepcousin, will operate the bar. See you all there on opening night (confidence is high).

This is Jeff VandenBerg, Me and my sister Tami are working on opening the Meanwhile bar, formerly 2 Stans. That is it on the far left of that picture. Dave from Mustard Plug was our partner for years, but now it is just us. We sold the building to Bear Manor, gave Dave his share and put our share toward the liquor license. We have a purchase agreement with the former 3 Crowns Bistro people, pending government approval. We were officially approved by the city of Grand Rapids at the City Commission meeting on Nov 14. Now it needs to be approved on the state level. They say that should take about a month.

The inside does not look amazing, but it will. They just put a roof on it, and the construction should start any day now. Bear Manor just bought and renovated 4 houses right on wealthy, about a block to the east. Their crew is finishing up the last of them. As soon as that is done, they are starting on the bar.

I just got back from a meeting with Merchandise Equipment, who are designing the layout and pricing out all of the equipment, walk-in cooler, ice machine, taps and everything.

Lyndi, who manages Mulligan's and Billy's is acting as a consultant for us.

Yes, I run Friction Records and the DAAC.

www.frictionrecords.net

www.thedaac.org

This is Jeff VandenBerg, Me and my sister Tami are working on opening the Meanwhile bar, formerly 2 Stans. That is it on the far left of that picture. Dave from Mustard Plug was our partner for years, but now it is just us. We sold the building to Bear Manor, gave Dave his share and put our share toward the liquor license. We have a purchase agreement with the former 3 Crowns Bistro people, pending government approval. We were officially approved by the city of Grand Rapids at the City Commission meeting on Nov 14. Now it needs to be approved on the state level. They say that should take about a month.

The inside does not look amazing, but it will. They just put a roof on it, and the construction should start any day now. Bear Manor just bought and renovated 4 houses right on wealthy, about a block to the east. Their crew is finishing up the last of them. As soon as that is done, they are starting on the bar.

I just got back from a meeting with Merchandise Equipment, who are designing the layout and pricing out all of the equipment, walk-in cooler, ice machine, taps and everything.

Lyndi, who manages Mulligan's and Billy's is acting as a consultant for us.

Yes, I run Friction Records and the DAAC.

www.frictionrecords.net

www.thedaac.org

The brick facade was added in the 40s when it beacame a bar (it was a A & P market before that) The rounded glass block on each side of the door will go all the way to the ground. That's how it was originally but apparebtly someone ran into it with their car and they replace the damaged glass block with brick. The two windows on the front will be enlarged for more transparency.

The brick facade was added in the 40s when it beacame a bar (it was a A & P market before that) The rounded glass block on each side of the door will go all the way to the ground. That's how it was originally but apparebtly someone ran into it with their car and they replace the damaged glass block with brick. The two windows on the front will be enlarged for more transparency.

Any plans for the space between the west wall of the building and the sidewalk on Diamond? It would be ideal for a patio. And what about that billboard - does it have to stay? Good luck on your venture - I'll be looking foreward to opening day.

Hey guys. Barry from Bear Manor here. We will have the building ready for the Vandenbergs to take over in early Spring. We just started construction on it, and it's crazy in there! We're pouring new concrete footings today, and we should have the all important "floor" in early next week. Personally I think we should have left the floor out and made the basement into a swimming pool...

Hey guys. Barry from Bear Manor here. We will have the building ready for the Vandenbergs to take over in early Spring. We just started construction on it, and it's crazy in there! We're pouring new concrete footings today, and we should have the all important "floor" in early next week. Personally I think we should have left the floor out and made the basement into a swimming pool...

We tryed to get that billboard down. It went to the city planning meeting but it is owned by Viacom, one of the biggest media corporations in the world with the biggest lawyers in the world. They walked right over us. Even Bazzani couldn't do anything about it. As far as i know the contract has like 10 more years on it.

There has been talk of planting trees in front of it.

As far as a patio goes, we got the zoning approval for a beer garden in the back. There is a 25' x 30' are between the back of the building and Bazzani's fence. It will be great in the summer!

We tried to help on this too but were shot down. We bought a building that has two signs on it and the lease expires on these signs in April We were going to hold the lease on these two billboard hostage and force Viacom to take down the bill board mentioned and the one next to Uptown. It was a no go, because the organization buying the building from us does not want the billboards past April.

At any rate, according to the Viacom leases we inherited through the purchase of properties "if at anytime a building is constructed or any other structure blocks the visibility of the sign, Viacom has the right to end their lease." At least that is my paraphrase of the way it is worded. I take this to mean that there would be nothing stopping anyone from planting trees to block the sign. Also, if Viacom reverses the sign next to Uptwon, which I expect them to do, I hope Guy Bazzani builds a nice big building on his lot to block the sign completely.

Archived