Beer

I was briefly discussing the topic of beer with my new neighbor, vwsam, last night at the Drive game. He, like many others I know (my nephew, my brother-in-law, and Alton Brown, just to name a few) have embarked on mastering the craft of home brewing. As a result of this, they have all become somewhat of beer connoisseurs (read: "beer snobs") and are rather particular about the selections they find in local grocers and restaurants.

This brings the topic: Where can you find the best selections of beer in Greenville (both retail and restaurant)? What types of beer do you prefer? etc.

I'm not a connoisseur by any means, but I am an advocate.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion is that Barley's has the best selection of draft beer (more localized and microbrews) and Mellow Mushroom has the best selection of bottled beer. BTW, Mellow Mushroom has a beer club you can join. After you have each of the beers on the card, you receive some merchandise and a pizza "party" for four.

My opinion is that Barley's has the best selection of draft beer (more localized and microbrews) and Mellow Mushroom has the best selection of bottled beer. BTW, Mellow Mushroom has a beer club you can join. After you have each of the beers on the card, you receive some merchandise and a pizza "party" for four.

I didn't know that about Mellow Mushroom! I agree with you on Barley's Taproom & Pizzeria. A couple other places I enjoy a good drink are Blue Ridge Brewing Company, and Smoke on the Water. :shades:

I like Blue Ridge Brewing Company's selection and atmosphere also. I have had their sampler there, and it was good.

In terms of retail, you can't beat Total Wine (their prices are surprisingly cheaper than Sam's and BJ's). For many of the standard beers, as well as some unique ones, EarthFare is a fun place to go. I am sure Whole Foods has some cool selections as well, but I have not checked it out yet.

I like Blue Ridge Brewing Company's selection and atmosphere also. I have had their sampler there, and it was good.

In terms of retail, you can't beat Total Wine (their prices are surprisingly cheaper than Sam's and BJ's). For many of the standard beers, as well as some unique ones, EarthFare is a fun place to go. I am sure Whole Foods has some cool selections as well, but I have not checked it out yet.

I'll second the Blue Ridge Brewing Company, especially the Richard Pearis Pale Ale, good stuff

i think the Mellow Mushroom beer club has time limit on it, something like you have to try them all in a month...Bloom has a create your own six pack section for $8 only imports and smirnoff/zima type drinks though and the selection is a little limited, however i hear Total Wine does the same thing but i'm not sure about teir price or selection....Me i tend to stick to the High Life....it is the champagne of beers after all.

I have to put a plug in here for my father-in-law. :lol: Total Wine & More does have an excellent selection, including Rogue and some other ones that are difficult to find in the area. I'm not sure what the 6-pak price is, but Total Wine & More does have it as well. I'll check the selection out more the next time I go over there. I haven't been in a while, so a visit is over-due. :thumbsup:

I was briefly discussing the topic of beer with my new neighbor, vwsam, last night at the Drive game. He, like many others I know (my nephew, my brother-in-law, and Alton Brown, just to name a few) have embarked on mastering the craft of home brewing. As a result of this, they have all become somewhat of beer connoisseurs (read: "beer snobs") and are rather particular about the selections they find in local grocers and restaurants.

This brings the topic: Where can you find the best selections of beer in Greenville (both retail and restaurant)? What types of beer do you prefer? etc.

I'm not a connoisseur by any means, but I am an advocate.

As I was telling RT - Barley's has about the best beer selection on tap - 58 according to their website. The funniest thing I ever saw was a guy wanting a mudweiser or something and they didn't have it. I was thinking to myself - we drink beer here - I think there may be a water fountain in the park. :rofl: No offense to drinkers of mass marketed products - but after getting into home brewing - I can tell you they have an excellent process to produce a consistant product - and they are good at that. Now - knowing what goes into beer and how the ingredients effect everything - I can say they are taking the easy way out with rice as a fermentable. I guess the cost savings from using rice is greater than the cost of marketing. Anyway - there are great beers out there to be drank - and the best advice I can give someone who wants to try them - but doesn't want to spend a fortune trying to find what suites their palate - is to go to a beer tasting event. Being new to Greenville - I don't know if anything exists here like that - but in Asheville there is the Brewgrass. Went to my first 1 when I first moved to Asheville 4 years ago. It's $25 and you can drink all the brews you like from about 50 small brewers from across the country for 6 hours. I tried all the expensive beers that I used to see, but was afraid to spend tons of money on trying. Another thing that you can do is go to a brewery - Blue Ridge was mentioned earlier - and get the sampler. Usually it's small cups of all their brews at a reduced price. But - you can get an idea if you are a fan of porters, stouts, IPA's, ESB's, lagers, etc.....

My opininon is that Barley's has the best selection. Chicora Alley has a good selection as well. I am a fan of any place that carries Terrapin, Rogue or Bar Harbor. Wild Wings has a horrible Selection.

Whole Foods has the best selection for chilled singles and Green's has a great selection of Import Singles.

Whole Foods is also carries more of the stuff that isn't quite legal in SC yet as well. They have a number of Belgium and French Ales over 6%. Not that, that matters, but they taste great and not available at to many other places.

Now this is a great topic.

Bloom also does the make your own six pack, there's is $7.50

Blue Ridge's own beers are very good, but I'd have to say Barley's has a great selection.

However, they don't have ( at least last time I was there) was Old Peculiar. This is a great brown ale from England. Addy's has it, and it is one of my favorites. Highly reccomend.

Also, Thomas Creek does a beer festival in November, but it's not like Asheville's.

However, they don't have ( at least last time I was there) was Old Peculiar. This is a great brown ale from England. Addy's has it, and it is one of my favorites. Highly reccomend.

Sorry to be the bearer (sp?) of bad news, but Old Peculiar has pulled out of the American market. Tried to order one on Saturday night at Addy's and the waiter told me they no longer carry it.

You may want to doublecheck me for accuracy, but the same waiter had warned me a few weeks before that this was occuring.

Sorry to be the bearer (sp?) of bad news, but Old Peculiar has pulled out of the American market. Tried to order one on Saturday night at Addy's and the waiter told me they no longer carry it.

You may want to doublecheck me for accuracy, but the same waiter had warned me a few weeks before that this was occuring.

NOOOOOOOOOO, sniff, I knew I should have spent more time with that last Peculiar

Well if all else fails, upstategeek, you should still be able to order it online. Perhaps you could convince one of your favorite bars to order it for you and keep it locked up until you arrive? ^_^

Actually, it's for the best. I like to sample a lot of different beers so this will get me looking for others

• 3 weeks later...

Archived