Heritage Square

urbanesq

N&O Story

Andy Rothschild's Scientific Properties (Triangle Biotech Center at Central Park and the Venable re-hab) continues to add life to downtown Durham. Can't wait to see renderings of this one-- it will have high visibility from the Freeway, and should expand the footprint of activity in Downtown Durham.

Exciting stuff from a quality developer.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is near the Hayti Heritage Center, isn't it?

It's nice to see somewhat "distressed" areas getting new life. At first I thought this was a plan to rehabilitate the small shopping center near Forest Hills Park where Galaxy Supermarket is now. That place is in need of a razing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The story I read said none of the doors will be street level - that's lame. Too many developments are turning inward from the streets. It shouldn't work that way. Bummer.

But I guess anything's better than Family Squalor.

When the city of Durham forgives $600,000 on a loan that had *no* payments on in in ten years, it gets projects like the heritage center. All the chest thumping in the world will not change the fact that downtown workers and residents will never shop there as it stands now.

It is sad that it has taken this long to admit there is a problem, and I fear this project might not get off the ground due to the political zoning and other approval hurdles it will have to clear.

The article makes it sound like some of the clubs will be on the roof to give them more of a connection to downtown than street level Fayetville Street. I hope there is a good balance between the high rise and street level focuses.

That being said, it is a shame the freeway is such a "hard border" on the southwest side of downtown and Roxboro is a "soft" border to the southeast (for now).

The developer has committed to monthly meetings with the community to get input on the project. He has a very general concept plan as of right now.

There is a huge drop-off from Fayetteville street to the church facing Roxboro. This creates a natural hole a "below-ground" parking deck. The top of the parking decks will be plazas that will be almost level with Fayetteville St and the development's shops.

IMO, Fayetteville St. would need work to make it pedestrian friendly. There is heavy foot-traffic on the sidewalks and crossing the street but this section was built to suburban 5-lane specs.

Also, Roxboro is not a border for downtown. It can be considered uncharted territory due to the trafficking, etc. that occurs on the part of E. Main past the horrible Social Service buildings. The County is in the process of redeveloping 2 blocks along with some of the Hope VI development that has occurred. These projects will probably spur private development towards the eastern corner of downtown.

Basically, there are a lot opportunities in Durham right now...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

*sigh* My Dad took me to a ball game when the field was still where the garbage trucks now park in Raleigh. I wish they'd bring it back.

As for the grittier, I'd much prefer that over Silicone Alley known as Glenwood South. Someone really needs to let people know that it's several thousand miles to Beverly Hills from here.

Durham has REAL down pat, IMHO.

/grouchy apology <_<

...Silicone Alley known as Glenwood South. ..

Yeah. Glenwood would be so much better off with more empty storefronts and fewer independent, local merchants. They should put an Applebee's and a Chili's in there. After that, they should build some empty high rises and throw in a few run down warehouses. That Warren Distributing building was a gem.

Yeah. Glenwood would be so much better off with more empty storefronts and fewer independent, local merchants. They should put an Applebee's and a Chili's in there. After that, they should build some empty high rises and throw in a few run down warehouses. That Warren Distributing building was a gem.

Is this a stab at Durham? It's a little ambiguous I guess. What's the Warren Distributing building?

Hmm. Let me clarify my Silicone Alley remark: I was referring mainly to the people, not the establishments. I'm as anti-chain as they come. There is something missing from Glenwood south that Durham has in boatloads. I'm not sure what it is - almost like Durham has more unpretentiousness or something. Raleigh seems more poser ridden, almost.

It's also what I was trying to say about the Times bar, which is almost like a cleaned up Sadlack's atmosphere wise, like everyone is equal, whether they're wearing a tie or ink & metal. People there are regular everyday people, no titles, no airs. Maybe someone can help me articulate it better, but my description is aimed more at the people than the buildings necessarily.

I don't remember a whole lot about Warren distributing, except that it was brick and squarish.

Is this a stab at Durham? It's a little ambiguous I guess. What's the Warren Distributing building?

It's not necessarily a "stab" at Durham, however snide comments about the progress on Glenwood Avenue make even the most jaded person wonder why some people can't ever be satisfied.

It's not necessarily a "stab" at Durham, however snide comments about the progress on Glenwood Avenue make even the most jaded person wonder why some people can't ever be satisfied.

I apologize if I offended you, dmccall, it wasn't my intent, which is why I explained my comment in a subsequent post. Am I mistaken that that kind of discussion is welcome here?

Hmm. Let me clarify my Silicone Alley remark: I was referring mainly to the people, not the establishments. I'm as anti-chain as they come. There is something missing from Glenwood south that Durham has in boatloads. I'm not sure what it is - almost like Durham has more unpretentiousness or something. Raleigh seems more poser ridden, almost.

It's also what I was trying to say about the Times bar, which is almost like a cleaned up Sadlack's atmosphere wise, like everyone is equal, whether they're wearing a tie or ink & metal. People there are regular everyday people, no titles, no airs. Maybe someone can help me articulate it better, but my description is aimed more at the people than the buildings necessarily.

I guess the main thing is the Times Bar atmosphere is an everyday occurrence in Durham. The communities are less segregated. You cannot go anywhere without rubbing elbows with somebody of a different race, sexual orientation, culture, religion or income (except on Sunday :D ). Dur'mites take pride in their locally-owned establishments and prefer to know the names of the owners. We are anti-Disney (not in the cartoon sense).

Durham's goal for the Central Business District is for Main Street to be very organic (local/real) vs. manufactured (chain/fake).

Archived