Grocery Store Downcity

provid

The word on the street is that a deal is being closed/in the works on putting a grocery store under the Peerless building (The spot where the Monday Market is). From what I hear it will be someone local and not a chain but I am not postive about that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The word on the street is that a deal is being closed/in the works on putting a grocery store under the Peerless building (The spot where the Monday Market is). From what I hear it will be someone local and not a chain but I am not postive about that.

Do I remember Ari naming a name at the last forum meet? I don't want to name the name myself incase the deal is still in the works and the name isn't supposed to be out, and also because we may have been talking about OneTen and my memory is failing me.

Yes, that was the name I was remembering, I couldn't remember if it was for Peerless or OneTen.

I personally will be thrilled if we can get something into Peerless sooner than we'll have to wait for OneTen. Even though I live on Federal Hill, I usually walk home via Westminster, so I would shop there on my way home.

Well, Dean & Deluca is slated for OneTen, which we won't see opening until late '08 I beleive (early '08???). The one in Peerless may prove to be more full service.

EDIT: I remembered the wonders of the internet and went to the site, it's early '08.

I'd love to see even just an urban Stop and Shop downtown, like the one in Boston off the E Green Line.

Are you talking about the Shaws next to the Pru? I worked right there and used to hang out on the lawn when it was just a little grassy area. That Shaws is what I think of when thinking of urban full service supermarkets. Shaws has shown that they can be an urban market and cater to thier clientele. Just look at the Eagle Square Shaws.

Another couple of options that would be great for an urban market would be if Eastside came downtown. Also Roche Bros, which is in the suburbs of Boston, but is an excellent market with a regional footprint. I think the most urban they have so far is Needham, Ma :D But I would be interested to see how an urban Roche Bros would do. They have an excellent prepared foods section, much better than SS or Shaws and similiar in quality/creativity but larger in scope than Eastside. Their prices are much more reasonable than EM too. Their produce section is also consistently excellent, which is more than can be said for SS and Shaws.

I think he's talking about One Brigham Circle. The new Shaws is a good example too. I used to shop at the Stop & Shop on the other side of Prudential Center. I don't know what I would have done living in Copley Square without it.

Yep, that's the one. I keep forgettin that name, this is the second time you've had to fill me in. That's a great supermarket and setup. Most of the Shaw's I've been to in Boston are nice too, especially the one near BU.

Yep, that's the one. I keep forgettin that name, this is the second time you've had to fill me in. That's a great supermarket and setup. Most of the Shaw's I've been to in Boston are nice too, especially the one near BU.

Ah, you said downtown so I thought of the Shaws. Yes that SS is a good setup for the area, so is the Shaws near BU as you said. In fact, most of the markets are located near the big schools and, which is a good thing. We have enough college and residential density to support this for sure.

Someone told me today it maybe scaled down East Side Market but I can't say foresure.

Would very be nice to see them expand. I really like EM, but I usually end up buying something unplanned and expensive whenever I go there. :D

Not in Peerless, no. It's a first time grocery operator who lives Downcity.

That can't be an easy business to learn. I wish them the best of luck. I will shop there on occasion. Probably only for for small stuff when I am downtown on other business. I won't do my main shopping there since I still live on the east side and to get downtown I pass Whole Foods.

• 7 months later...

Several exciting retail announcements to come in the next week or two. (One may involve really fantastic clothing.) If I can score a Trader Joe's, I expect a bronze statue to be erected in my honor in Burnside Park.

If you announce a trader joes, I will commence construction tout suite.

And I will assemble for you a gourmet box lunch once a week that will make you weep. Yes, I really can cook...Urb has told me a few times that if I couldn't cook, I'd be on eBay, Used Wives Department, no reserve :w00t:

Several exciting retail announcements to come in the next week or two. (One may involve really fantastic clothing.) If I can score a Trader Joe's, I expect a bronze statue to be erected in my honor in Burnside Park.

I actually called TJ HQ about this a few months ago. The person was very nice, said they have gotten a lot of calls from PVD people, but that in the next 2 years at least there are no plans for a TJs in PVD. For whats that worth.

I actually called TJ HQ about this a few months ago. The person was very nice, said they have gotten a lot of calls from PVD people, but that in the next 2 years at least there are no plans for a TJs in PVD. For whats that worth.

did they mention plans for the South Shore at least? It sucks to have to go to Framingham for TJ's. I mean it really sucks. Considering they have so many in Metro North and West I'm pretty pissed that they seem to think nobody south of the mass pike would patronize them.

I guess I just really wish RI politics for the past 50 years didn't give it the reputation of being the crapass part of New England.

Considering they have so many in Metro North and West I'm pretty pissed that they seem to think nobody south of the mass pike would patronize them.

There's one on the Cape, but I'm pretty sure it's easier to drive to Framingham than it is to Hyannis. :lol:

Archived