Grocery Store Downcity

provid

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a much different soundbyte than what is being told now regarding TJs.

These entities change mission statements and strategic visions by the business quarter.

Look at how Whole Foods started and what they've mutated into (a grocer that now only wants to build big-box suburban mega stores that are "stores within stores" and full line shopping "experiences" to the degree that they're potentially willing to shut down highly supported and profittable small stores like the Wayland Sq one just because they don't fit the new model).

There looked to be a nice grocery in Boston's South End with the provocative name "Foodie's Urban Market" (web page here) whose size and mission I think would fit Providence beautifully. Anyone familiar with it?

- Garris

Oddly, when we approached TJs some years ago (four maybe?) about relocating on the West Side, we were told that they only move into space vacated by a pharmacy sized retail entity and had to be built to the street with an entrance on the street and with parking in the back only. And, it had to be in a neighborhood that was walkable. Sounds like a much different soundbyte than what is being told now regarding TJs.

That is actually consistent with the stores that I am familiar within in Boston. The one on Beacon has a tiny surface lot behind the store (10-15 spaces) with a garage underneath. Needham has a large lot behind the store. The store itself is built to the street with small retail shops fronting the street.

If I could get a TJs rep to Providence, you think we could pack (literally pack) tazza and show the demand to them? That'd be an interesting tactic.

Yes I definitely think so. Especially all those people that moved here from MA where TJ's is plentiful and now find ourselves jonesing.

That is actually consistent with the stores that I am familiar within in Boston. The one on Beacon has a tiny surface lot behind the store (10-15 spaces) with a garage underneath. Needham has a large lot behind the store. The store itself is built to the street with small retail shops fronting the street.

The new (3-4 years old?) TJ location in Danbury, CT fits the newer suburban model. It is part of a strip plaza located within feet of an exit off of I-84. It shares the retail building on that Warwick Rt 2-eque strip plaza nightmare with a Staples, Starbucks, and I think a clothing chain I can't recall right now, all right next to a brand new cookie cutter Holiday Inn Express, all of the above with gigantic surface parking lots fronting their land.

Of course locals are tickled. Welcome to "rustic" New England in the 21st Century...

- Garris

For me its price, quality and booze.

One thing to keep in mind TJ's is not a full service grocery store. There is no fresh seafood, meat or deli counter. They have some produce and cheese. I see the strengths as: dry goods, condiments, snacks (esp. the dunkable chocolate chip, chocolate coated cookies), frozen prepared foods (meals, snacks and desserts) and the aforementioned wine and beer.

As for Cotuit's CO2 comment, I wouldn't drive an hour just to go TJ's but if I have any reason to be in the Boston metro, I'll find the closest one and stock up.

Trader Joe's actually does have fresh meats and deli. Excellent prices on chickens, cold cuts etc. They even carry fresh kosher meats in the stores in neighborhoods where there is demand.

Their cheese section easily is some of the cheapest while being extremely varied.

They have a very good selection of produce. Also, fresh flowers. Very resonable and again, varied.

If it was a choice between TJ's and a stop and shop, I would choose TJ's without any hesitation.

i go to the needham store. that way i can go up one more exit and hit Chestnut Hill Mall and Atrium Mall at the same time. its not a bad drive, really, especially on a saturday or sunday morning...

Now THAT'S route planning! :shades:

Dave's would be awesome downtown. I love it when they have the free muffins. East siders would love to have a Dave's close I'm sure, yet it's not too upscale to leave everyone else out.

I may have missed a post that already addressed this....but

According to a recent PBN article; One Ten will have a "supermarket" included as part og the project.

Does anyone else here hope downtown gets a regular grocery store that students can afford and that hotel visitors and condo owners who don't mind buying cheap food would go? All the grocery stores that have been floated on this board are niche stores, not stop & shop/shaw's type places to just go buy groceries.

From everything I have been told, One Ten has no ground floor tenant.

I know that was the case for the Westminster side due to the accommodation of vehicles. However, I thought that meant that the Weybosset side would still be able to accomodate the 7,500 sq ft grocery store and cafe that was reported in the original journal story last year.

http://www.projo.com/digitalbulletin/conte...n.dcb9b499.html

So I am in Portland OR on vacation at the moment and today I realized what my dream market would be for downtown - Fred Meyer. They have everything from groceries to TV's to camping gear and they actually have some Urban locations. The store I was in this afternoon was built to the street and had a parking garage. It would solve the grocery/discount retail/pharmacy issues downtown in one fell swoop. Now if only they were in the Northeast.

Liam

So I am in Portland OR on vacation at the moment and today I realized what my dream market would be for downtown - Fred Meyer. They have everything from groceries to TV's to camping gear and they actually have some Urban locations. The store I was in this afternoon was built to the street and had a parking garage. It would solve the grocery/discount retail/pharmacy issues downtown in one fell swoop. Now if only they were in the Northeast.

Liam

I really like Fred Meyer. I was at a couple in Seattle and agree with your assessment.

They are owned by Kroger, which has a huge range of brands all over the country. QFC is another grocery store I like a lot in the WA/OR area. Great booze section. The closest Kroger operation to us is Virginia I think. The company has never made a move into the Northeast.

Does anyone else here hope downtown gets a regular grocery store that students can afford and that hotel visitors and condo owners who don't mind buying cheap food would go? All the grocery stores that have been floated on this board are niche stores, not stop & shop/shaw's type places to just go buy groceries.

I do. :thumbsup: Students and visitors make up a critically large portion of the downtown population and should never be left out.

Archived