Kohl's

psycuda

Guess what, folks. Kohl's has finally come in with a proposed store location across from Chiles High. They are also talking about a second location closer to town. The pre application hearing for the store is next Wednesday at County Growth Management.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bradfordville is becoming a city all its own. Target, Walgreens, and the area's first two story structure (apparently slated to become the future home of an Alltel store and two other businesses judging by the sign out front) will all have opened within two years. Even more incredible growth has occurred farther south on Thomasville with a huge apartment complex, a Chili's, a Bank of America, ABC Liquor, CVS, a storage center, and some new building whose owner is yet to become apparent all sprouting out of the pines around Wal Mart. Also on the lot across from the Winn Dixie that is scheduled to close we have a Blockbuster, Cabanna's, and another vertical first for that area, a three story structure, all opened within the past three years or so.

There are future plans for a movie theater and a strip mall I believe to be put around the unused parking space currently behind the new Walgreens on the corner of Thomasville and Bannerman.

Also as a side note, does anyone know what will become of the road that continues Kerry Forest past the Wal Mart Supercenter heading West? There seems to be a new development of homes off of Meridian Road that hasn't started construction but looks like it might become linked to Thomasville road by the aforementioned road once the developnet moves ahead.

There are future plans for a movie theater and a strip mall I believe to be put around the unused parking space currently behind the new Walgreens on the corner of Thomasville and Bannerman.

No movie theater, just a strip mall and a S**t load of outparcel stuff including a Starbucks on that corner.

Guess what, folks. Kohl's has finally come in with a proposed store location across from Chiles High. They are also talking about a second location closer to town. The pre application hearing for the store is next Wednesday at County Growth Management.

Finally! Thanks for that update psycuda. I still have to drive up to South GA to go to Kohl's but at least it's closer than Valdosta. As Glenn told us before, Kohl's is about to open their Valdosta store and that's probably the main reason for the commercials already here since that area is part of our TV DMA.

Let us know if and when you hear about a 2nd location. Good news nonetheless.

No movie theater, just a strip mall and a S**t load of outparcel stuff including a Starbucks on that corner.

I remember when it was just Rhybergs Store, the church, the Vet (can't remember his name but his assistant was Chester), and of course, Coble Dairy. My favorite Bradvordville spot was the giant bamboo grove near Lake Anna.

This is awesome news. I hope their other location is in the Fallschase Complex. :D

This is awesome news. I hope their other location is in the Fallschase Complex. :D

In CA where I first became familiar w/Kohl's, I'd always find them located near or next to big malls and the surrounding shopping area. Based on that, I'd think the old Albertson's location on The Parkway would be just their type of place...high visibility and near a big mall. They could just gut the bldg. down to the footprint much like Jimmy John's is doing to the old LJS.

Of course I will not complain if they head to Fallschase, but I do hate to see prime retail stores lay vacant for months.

In CA where I first became familiar w/Kohl's, I'd always find them located near or next to big malls and the surrounding shopping area. Based on that, I'd think the old Albertson's location on The Parkway would be just their type of place...high visibility and near a big mall. They could just gut the bldg. down to the footprint much like Jimmy John's is doing to the old LJS.

Of course I will not complain if they head to Fallschase, but I do hate to see prime retail stores lay vacant for months.

I do too. It lowers the value of the surrounding property. There ought to be some smart way to encourage remodels of existing space instead of outsprawl. Perhaps one way might be to change to zoning on commercial space that has been empty for a long time from C-whatever to XC-whatever. Properties zoned XC would have their tax rate sharpely raised. It would encourage property owners to get their vacant buildings reoccupied faster, and protect the value of the surrounding properties.

Nothing against Khol's but as a resident of Bradforville, I'm disappointed with the news and I'm a little disppointed with many of the reactions here. This represents urban sprawl at its worst. From the commercial activity I've seen in the area, this large commercial development does not have the local residential density to support the business and will have to depend on pulling up customers from neighborhoods far south of the location, increasing traffic (oh goody). I don't know the numbers, but the Walgreens does not seem very busy and I'm guessing the proposed shopping center behind it has not been developed because of lack of tenants willing to commit. C'mon y'all, this is about infill and less roads and cars! Building a large store on the edge of civilization does not make good urban-planning sense.

Nothing against Khol's but as a resident of Bradforville, I'm disappointed with the news and I'm a little disppointed with many of the reactions here. This represents urban sprawl at its worst. From the commercial activity I've seen in the area, this large commercial development does not have the local residential density to support the business and will have to depend on pulling up customers from neighborhoods far south of the location, increasing traffic (oh goody). I don't know the numbers, but the Walgreens does not seem very busy and I'm guessing the proposed shopping center behind it has not been developed because of lack of tenants willing to commit. C'mon y'all, this is about infill and less roads and cars! Building a large store on the edge of civilization does not make good urban-planning sense.

Hence the reason I'm for the Old Albertson's as a location. I loathe driving up to South GA (Killearn area) for goods and services for numerous reasons.

One reason Kohl's may prefer that area is b/c of the area's median family income is higher and also b/c it will draw folks from Cairo and T'ville too.

Kohl's is sorta the link between Target and Dillards/Macy's.

KOHL'S

Hence the reason I'm for the Old Albertson's as a location. I loathe driving up to South GA (Killearn area) for goods and services for numerous reasons.

One reason Kohl's may prefer that area is b/c of the area's median family income is higher and also b/c it will draw folks from Cairo and T'ville too.

Kohl's is sorta the link between Target and Dillards/Macy's.

KOHL'S

From what I'm hearing, Poonther might be on to something.

The Democrat Biz section is getting a little better at reporting things:

KOHL'S

That info. isn't too stale. Hopefully this is a sign for better biz reporting in the future.

Yet they missed meeting that Kohl's had with the City on Thursday to put a store on the former Albertsons

Continental 201 Fund (31-05-20-023-0000) (TPA060085) located on 7.47 acres at 2010 Apalachee Parkway. The proposed project is to demolish the existing structure and construct a 105,000 square foot retail building. The property is zoned CP (Commercial Parkway).

PROJECT COORDINATOR: Southside Team (891-7100)

Glenn Berman

• 3 months later...

I see this Kohl's project as the start of a whole new major shopping Corridor in Tallahassee. After having worked at the Bradfordville Publix through high school and see them add a Super Wal-Mart, then a Walgreens, Chili's, Bank of America, Capital City Bank, Premier Bank, Target, and now this, Kohl's, I'm wondering what's next? It would see the Kohl's would be rather lonely by itself, there must be more coming along with.

Archived