Opportunity vs. desire

krazeeboi

When it comes down to choosing a place to live, which should prevail: opportunity or desire? Should you choose the place that allows you to advance on a professional level, even though it may not be a place you necessarily like, or should you choose a place that appeals to you, even if opportunities for professional advancement may be lacking? What say ye?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes down to choosing a place to live, which should prevail: opportunity or desire? Should you choose the place that allows you to advance on a professional level, even though it may not be a place you necessarily like, or should you choose a place that appeals to you, even if opportunities for professional advancement may be lacking? What say ye?

How about both? There are so many decent-sized cities in this country that differ so much from one another, but at the same time offer good professional opportunities. It shouldn't be too hard to find a medium or large city that you love but also offers opportunity.

But what about when it doesn't? I agree that chances are you would be able to find both in a city of just about any size these days, but sometimes it just doesn't work out like that. So in that case, how should one decide?

Well, it seems that it could be pretty miserable living somewhere you don't like just because there are opportunities. That said, however, you can always find a nice city with a decent quality of life that's full of opportunity. Then, it may not be exactly where you want to be, but it will suffice... and it will likely even grow on you. Cities with high qualities of life will always provide something to keep you entertained. That's part of how quality of life is ranked anyway.

This is going to vary by individual based on their goals and desires. Some people want to be CEO of a fortune 500 company and you are not going to do that in a remote paradise. Others are quite content to focus much less on career and look for other things in life like family, hobbies, etc. It's been my experience over the years that people who don't put career at the top of the list are the happiest.

Well, it seems that it could be pretty miserable living somewhere you don't like just because there are opportunities. That said, however, you can always find a nice city with a decent quality of life that's full of opportunity. Then, it may not be exactly where you want to be, but it will suffice... and it will likely even grow on you. Cities with high qualities of life will always provide something to keep you entertained. That's part of how quality of life is ranked anyway.

I'd say desire over opportunity. Unless you have a huge desire to live in North Dakota and you have a degree in Banking... you might be rather wanting when it comes to good jobs...

But what kind of banker would purposely seek out North Dakota?

I think most jobs have good opportunities in desirable places. Of course, if your desire you want to live in northern Alaska.. fishing or oil exploration might be your best bet.

But then again.. if what you do and where you want to live are not compatible (sp?) then you should try to find a happy medium.. in which case I recommend Kansas.. because it's in the middle :)

your life will be much better regardless of your income if you just do what you love. everything will work out. i don't make a large amount of money, i have a fair amount of debt, but i am very happy with my life living month to month because i love my job, i love my home, and i love the direction my life is heading.

so it really comes down to doing what you love with your life.

i read an awesome book called "live what you love" by bob and melinda blanchard, it's got a lot of little stories about their own fairly unusual life together that really makes you think about your own and makes you think about what you need to do to make your life as perfect as it can be.

I think you should ENJOY where you live. If you don't, you'll just be miserable. I apply the same logic to careers, where I want to open a classic car restoration / muscle car tuning / hot rod building shop. That kind of career probably doesn't have a huge amount of money in it, but I want to do it because that's what I truly enjoy doing. Why should where you live be any different?

If you don't like where you live it negatively colors everything else. Even if you are making a fortune. Not that this is uncommon. I have family and friends in New York that hate all that craziness but are becoming young millonaires on Wall Street, so they think its worth it. I have just always worked to live rather than lived to work.

Archived