Roy Caroll makes offer to buy land near First Horizon Park

cityboi

Roy Caroll, the developer who is rebuilding the Old Wachovia Building (Center Pointe) into condos is at it again. He has made an offer to buy land across the street from First Horizon Ballpark at the south corner of Lindsay and Eugene Street. According to the article, he envisions condos overlooking the stadium. But hopefully they wont be too tall because they would block the skyline view seen from the grandstands.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/608100302

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's likely to have some competition on buying that tract. I just hope who ever buys it has a good use for it. I'm sure Carroll would do well with the property but he didn't sound like if he bought he would do anything with it soon. Maybe another developer could put it to a quicker, better use.

It is a very good sign though that the property is attracting attention.

I actually think I'm more excited about the demolishion of that god awful building than I am of a new mid rise (which is still great). This is a great parcel of land and it doesn't really surprise me that there has been so much interest in acquiring it.

My biggest concern with development around the baseball stadium is the Dixie Building on Bellemeade St. I'm afraid that it's going to be one of the first buildings on the chopping block despite the fact that it's surrounded by surface lots.

Roy Carroll is definately investing in downtown. Here is another article about the downtown condo boom. The article reveals that there are more unnamed projects planned as well. The number of condos beng built and planned just demonstrates that its now time for more highrise condos. Hopefully a few of the unnamed projects will be highrise or at least midrise.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../-1/NEWSREC0201

I was so glad to see that they're getting rid of that eyesore!! That strip of Battleground Ave. from downtown to Greensboro will be completely different in 5-10 years with Bellemeade, and likely Carroll's future plans. It may also vie (with South Elm) as one of Greensboro's potential "midtowns".

No kiddin... I've always imagined mid-high rises, commercial, residential, and retail throughout that whole strip and thought about how well it would mesh Battleground at Wendover to downtown Greensboro.

i really like the idea of new projects lining battleground on the fringes of downtown. i think that could really be cool. battleground could certainly use some sprucing up.

No kiddin... I've always imagined mid-high rises, commercial, residential, and retail throughout that whole strip and thought about how well it would mesh Battleground at Wendover to downtown Greensboro.

In order to have mid/high rises outside of the central business district, will they have to change some rules regarding the height limits? Would that eventually lead to a bigger footprint for downtown?

In order to have mid/high rises outside of the central business district, will they have to change some rules regarding the height limits? Would that eventually lead to a bigger footprint for downtown?

Its very possible. Ray Gibbs of Downtown Greensboro inc, has mentioned that downtown will expand its borders much further than the current borders. One example today is the South Elm/ Lee Street development. The central business district will expand south below Lee Street once the development is complete. That development already has a midrise/highrise condo building in the conceptual plan.

The only thing that concerns me is the possibility of this being a more "suburban" development rather than an urban one. The section of Battleground that this property is at is right between downtown Greensboro and the suburban development along Battleground Ave. Regardless, I'm interested the see what he has planned.

"Carroll, who paid $1 million for the building, hopes to hold a groundbreaking for the project in early September."

is this a typo? he only paid $1 million for the wachovia tower???????????? :shok:

Yeah, once these buildings have served their original purpose and are empty, their value plummets. Also, the owners (not often who occupied them) are DESPERATE to get someone else to take them over as they are nothing but a money pit for them.

If he has money to burn and has an interest in downtowns, send him Winston's way. There's plenty of potential here too. :D

Hey! You guys have more than your share of downtown buildings! :) It really is Greensboro's turn, it has less a downtown presence than cities half it's size (and suburban sprawl to match), and quite a bit less than Winston. GSO also has a sizable metro, so there is not much reason for this, so bring on the density. Hopefully, as another poster mentioned, the project will actually represent true dense residential, not just 2-3 story suburban-like housing.

• 1 month later...

From the article:

"Milton Kern, who has redeveloped several buildings on South Elm Street, said he'd be glad to see either Carroll or White's group get the property.

'I think most of the people downtown are happy that these are the folks that are after it, rather than some group from Charlotte,' Kern said."

What are these guys track records, other than White's Hopper's stadium and Carroll's unbuilt Wachovia renovation?

From the article:

"Milton Kern, who has redeveloped several buildings on South Elm Street, said he'd be glad to see either Carroll or White's group get the property.

'I think most of the people downtown are happy that these are the folks that are after it, rather than some group from Charlotte,' Kern said."

What are these guys track records, other than White's Hopper's stadium and Carroll's unbuilt Wachovia renovation?

Kern has actually redeveloped more than a few on South. He redeveloped a number throughtout downtown including the Lyndon Street Row homes on the far eastside of downtown. Carroll has a pretty good reputation in Greensboro. He is the developer of a number of residential developments around the city. Center Pointe is hi first major project downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

according to the News & Record, Roy Caroll, the developer responsible for converting the old Wachovia Building into condos, is the highest bidder for land across the street for First Horizon Park.

Im glad because this guy thinks big and him devloping the land, we should see something really interesting get built there.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/610110317

Archived