South Division Heart Side district question.

michaelskis

I know that there is some development going on, but is there a comprehensive redevelopment plan for South Division in the Heart Side District?

One of the biggest things that the city could do would be clean up the buildings, install new sidewalks and street lights, and install street trees. That alone would completely change the perception of the neighborhood. With the Art Galleries and Artist live/work studios, I hope that there will be an increased focus on this area.

Does anyone have any information on this area? Between the architectural character of the buildings, the location and distance to the core of the city, and the direction the rest of downtown is going, this area has a phenomenal amount of potential.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that there is some development going on, but is there a comprehensive redevelopment plan for South Division in the Heart Side District?

One of the biggest things that the city could do would be clean up the buildings, install new sidewalks and street lights, and install street trees. That alone would completely change the perception of the neighborhood. With the Art Galleries and Artist live/work studios, I hope that there will be an increased focus on this area.

Does anyone have any information on this area? Between the architectural character of the buildings, the location and distance to the core of the city, and the direction the rest of downtown is going, this area has a phenomenal amount of potential.

You can try here:

http://www.heartsidemainstreet.org/

Up until recently, South Division was a giant crater in the ground, and was completely rebuilt from Oakes to Cherry (?). Plus, a lot of the sidewalks were rebuilt and metered spots added as well (although a lot of the brick pavers are being replaced).

Construction crews were cutting holes in part of the newly repaved portion between oakes and cherry today. I dont understand why whatever was being done didnt get fixed last year when the entire street was torn up for 8 months.

Construction crews were cutting holes in part of the newly repaved portion between oakes and cherry today. I dont understand why whatever was being done didnt get fixed last year when the entire street was torn up for 8 months.

The contractor might have made mistakes in the construction phase... How big were the holes and where in the road?

The contractor might have made mistakes in the construction phase... How big were the holes and where in the road?

There were two if I remember correctly (and I probably dont I just drove by once) both near sewer holes. One was maybe 4' by 4' square and the other was odd shaped and maybe 20% bigger by squarefootage.

There were two if I remember correctly (and I probably dont I just drove by once) both near sewer holes. One was maybe 4' by 4' square and the other was odd shaped and maybe 20% bigger by squarefootage.

Hmm, must have been an error with the construction of the sewer... Without seeing them I was thinking that maybe they had very localized roadway surface or subase issues and were correcting them. Anyones guess.

First, there's no guarantee that Tall House will be built, so I don't think it has any bearing on South Division. If Tall House (and all the planned development along Commerce) were built already, it might make a difference.

Second, the biggest impediment to development on South Division is because it is almost completely dominated by Dwelling Place and the local missions. You'd be hard pressed to get mainstream businesses to move into that area without a complete revamping of its image. There has already been quite a bit of outcry about the development pushing out the poor and homeless from the Heartside area, going all the way back to the arena being built. You have to solve that issue first before it can be completely overhauled.

tall house does already have both their retail and office space leased out though???

SNIP...

Second, the biggest impediment to development on South Division is because it is almost completely dominated by Dwelling Place and the local missions. You'd be hard pressed to get mainstream businesses to move into that area without a complete revamping of its image. There has already been quite a bit of outcry about the development pushing out the poor and homeless from the Heartside area, going all the way back to the arena being built. You have to solve that issue first before it can be completely overhauled.

I don

Archived