Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbrown84

Forbes ranks OKC in top ten

29 posts in this topic

Forbes has ranked Oklahoma City in the top ten for the best cities to find a job. The cite a diversified economy and new arrivals in technology and manufacturing.

link to article

cjob_9.jpg

#9 Oklahoma City, Okla.

Oklahoma City, a former oil town, has been diversifying its economic base. Technology companies like Dell have set up call centers there, avoiding other outsourcing centers like Bangalore, India. Although General Motors recently closed an Oklahoma City auto plant, other manufacturers are opening their doors.

Unemployment rank: 21

Cost of living rank: 11

Median household income rank: 61

Income growth rank: 12

Job growth rank: 44

Forbes has ranked Oklahoma City in the top ten for the best cities to find a job. The cite a diversified economy and new arrivals in technology and manufacturing.

link to article

cjob_9.jpg

#9 Oklahoma City, Okla.

Oklahoma City, a former oil town, has been diversifying its economic base. Technology companies like Dell have set up call centers there, avoiding other outsourcing centers like Bangalore, India. Although General Motors recently closed an Oklahoma City auto plant, other manufacturers are opening their doors.

Unemployment rank: 21

Cost of living rank: 11

Median household income rank: 61

Income growth rank: 12

Job growth rank: 44

Wow, that's awesome news! Being in Forbes' Top 10 should make the city even more attractive to people considering relocation to your region.

How old is that pic of downtown OKC?

Very. If you look carefully you can see the Murrah Building, which obviously has been gone over 10 years.

^ Has the skyline changed since this photo, aside from the tragedy of the Murrah Building?

The new federal building would be directly in front of the Murrah Building here. The other changes are on the opposite side of downtown and would be out of view.

^ Has the skyline changed since this photo, aside from the tragedy of the Murrah Building?

no. not unless you count the ford center. there is also the reneissance hotel, but thats it. no new highrises.

We were #13 on the list of Forbes' places to do business...

You all must have forgotten. It's not like this list was a breakthrough. And for the last 5 years we've been in Expansion Management's top ten for cities to expand or relocate in.

I've got a question.

What other companies, besides Sonic are located in OKC?

Currently:

Sonic

Hobby Lobby/Mardel/Hemispheres

Devon Energy

Chesapeake Energy

MG North America

OG+E (Oklahoma Gas & Electric)

Riata Energy

Hertz (very large presence)

Dobson Cellular

Midfirst Bank

BancFirst

American Choral Director's Association

Tronox (Kerr-McGee spinoff)

Express Personell

American Fidelity Insurance

Love's

Braum's

Feed the Children

York Air Conditioners

Until Recently:

Kerr-McGee

Six Flags

I never knew Pat Green owned Mardel's...

Currently:

Sonic

Hobby Lobby/Mardel/Hemispheres

Devon Energy

Chesapeake Energy

MG North America

OG+E (Oklahoma Gas & Electric)

Riata Energy

Hertz (very large presence)

Dobson Cellular

Midfirst Bank

BancFirst

American Choral Director's Association

Tronox (Kerr-McGee spinoff)

Express Personell

American Fidelity Insurance

Love's

Braum's

Feed the Children

York Air Conditioners

Quite a diverse economy. I had always heard something about Office Depot being located in OKC, but I guess I was wrong.

That's Office Max. And (it's either a big office or the headquarters itself) that's in Norman. They have almost a thousand workers out there...

That's Office Max. And (it's either a big office or the headquarters itself) that's in Norman. They have almost a thousand workers out there...

Thanks.

I remember driving by that facility, which is off some Interstate, when I was going to Carlsbad Caverns.

I think that's a just a call center, sorry. Office Max is based outside of Chicago.

I didn't say it was the headquarters swake, but I don't think it's a call center. Besides it's not as if anyone really shops at Office Max...

OK well who really cares what it is. There are numerous tech-based companies out there, such as pharmaceutical corporations and computer corporations that have facilities out on OK 9 that it really doesn't matter...

Lookie there, the word "headquarters", from you...so yes, you did say headquarters.

I didn't say it was the headquarters swake, but I don't think it's a call center.

Lookie there, the word EITHER from me.

Not that any of this means anything, but, again, you said "big office or headquarters" and I said it was a call center and not the headquarters. You said I was wrong about the call center and that you never said headquarters. It IS a call center, a friend was a manager there for a time. Moved to Norman for the job, hated the area and moved back.

For the record, you did use the word "headquarters", I was just responding to the idea you had tossed out that it MIGHT be the headquarters, I corrected that notion and named the office for what it is.

You are wrong on all counts, again.

Well for the life of me Swake, I can only go on logic. I can't imagine what Office Max would need a call center for. I mean, do you like call up, "Hi uhh... my pencil won't work. What do I do?" and get help, "Sir... you need to sharpen it"?

Well they call swake 'sir', but everytime I call up to find out what the hell to do with this lead I get some fellow brotha that tells me I'll be wasted if I don't stop calling...

Well for the life of me Swake, I can only go on logic. I can't imagine what Office Max would need a call center for. I mean, do you like call up, "Hi uhh... my pencil won't work. What do I do?" and get help, "Sir... you need to sharpen it"?

If you weren