Photo Tour of Projects

I went for a walk downtown last night and took some pictures of a few of the projects going on. Also some of the pictures are of sites that I'm unaware of the proposed construction. Anyway, enjoy, comment, or ignore :)

Capital Cove Site: Not much going on, but maybe the fence and equipment are a sign of things to come after Aug. 22nd

cimg2404.jpg

cimg2405.jpg

cimg2406.jpg

WaterPlace Condos: What a difference this is going to make around there. Hopefully some good retail will bring people to the park every day/night of the year.

cimg2407.jpg

cimg2408.jpg

cimg2409.jpg

cimg2410.jpg

cimg2412.jpg

GTech: Almost Done! Check out the cool reflections.

cimg2411.jpg

cimg2413.jpg

Westin II: Already looks impressive. Please have cool retail...

cimg2415.jpg

cimg2416.jpg

cimg2418.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E@B: Is this the future site of the Empire at Broadway tower? If it is, along with that, Dunk renovations and LaSalle Sq. improvements, this is going to be a really nice part of downtown.

cimg2419.jpg

cimg2420.jpg

The Dunk: Amazing how fast a project can start when they want it to (a little poke at Capital Cove).

cimg2421.jpg

cimg2422.jpg

cimg2423.jpg

The Hilton Renovations: I like it already. I forget what's going in across from it in the empty parking lot...

cimg2424.jpg

Federal Hill:

What's going in here?

cimg2425.jpg

And Here? I mean the brick building in between the two pics...

cimg2428.jpg

cimg2429.jpg

Or even here?

cimg2430.jpg

Rialto Furniture/333 Atwells: Looking forward to it

cimg2426.jpg

cimg2427.jpg

Belmonte Castello (?): What a difference that will make. Am I right on that one? Atwells and Knight?

cimg2431.jpg

Empire St: I know Westminster is the supposed to be the anchor of downtown, but it looks like Empire is becoming a cool place to hang out. People out at Bravo, music seeping out of AS220...

cimg2437.jpg

E@B: Is this the future site of the Empire at Broadway tower? If it is, along with that, Dunk renovations and LaSalle Sq. improvements, this is going to be a really nice part of downtown.

That's the Fogarty Building.

E&B will be at the former public safety complex, which is right on LaSalle Square and easily identified from the fire station doors.

cimg2425.jpg

Nice, I hadn't seen the progress on this in a while, I'm liking what they've done to the ground level. Much better than the recent upgrades that happened down the road where RI Chocolates is. I don't know what the tenant will be here, anyone want to bet it will be a restaurant. I think we're seeing that far end of Atwells getting cleaned up a bit in anticipation of 333.

there is some work being done on the building at the corner of Atwells and Dean - pretty nice spot too...

According to Providence Monthly, that will be a 'restaurant and grill.' Good luck to them, the space is horrible, all weird angles and ill suited for anything really. When I win Powerball I'm buying that building and knocking it over.

cimg2430.jpg

There's a restaurant/lounge in here called Lilly Marlene's. No signage but it is very popoular none-the-less.

I hadn't realized that the tux shop closed, I was just mentioning that place the other night. Something else I'd like to knock down. That vacant lot with the Webster sign is for sale, I haven't heard any proposals, would love to see some mixed use housing of course. The brick building next to the tux shop contains a women's clinic I believe (if my memory is serving me correctly).

That's the Fogarty Building.

E&B will be at the former public safety complex, which is right on LaSalle Square and easily identified from the fire station doors.

Does anyone know if the Fogarty Building can support more floors? I would prefer to see a little more height at this location.

Mark

Does anyone know if the Fogarty Building can support more floors? I would prefer to see a little more height at this location.

Supposedly it can (or may be able to) and it is an option that TPG has considered. Though from what I understand, for now, they are just going to fix up the existing building. They'll probably revisit that building once E@B and MetroLofts are done.

Look for another restaurant to join our restaurant block this fall. We'll now have Cuban, Gracie's, [new place], Bravo and then our neighbors at Taqueria Pacifica.

It concerns me that the focus for dining is centered on this block. I would much rather see a dining spot established on Westminster or Weybosset . It has been proven that Provdence is having a real tough time establishing specialty districts. Why not create a little more integration to establish a more mixed-use neighborhood?

It concerns me that the focus for dining is centered on this block. I would much rather see a dining spot established on Westminster or Weybosset . It has been proven that Provdence is having a real tough time establishing specialty districts. Why not create a little more integration to establish a more mixed-use neighborhood?

Why? Couldn't you look at it as an anchor block for the west side of that section of Westminster? My friend and I were walking down Westminster last Friday night and it seems to me that the movement is towards establishments like Tazza and the Black Rep. You know, cool hangouts rather than a restaurant. Westminster is certainly more vibrant now than it ever in the last 10 years that I've lived in Providence. Granted it'd be nice to have a restaurant open perhaps, but I think the block around AS220 has developed into a certain style that seems to be working well.

You say that it's been proven that Providence is having a real tough time establishing specialty districts yet the block you pointed too is exactly that. Living where I do and patronizing these establishments as much as I do I have to tell you that the vast majority of the folks I associate with and surround myself with that frequent these establishments certainly like how the block is evolving. There are several restaurants, AS220, the new theater and Trinity right across the street. Westminster is slowly starting to come back to life. Some business will succeed some will fail, but at least we have something happening. It was nice to see people hanging out, chatting and giving the street some badly needed vibrancy.

Weybosset? Well, I've got to say that I agree with you on that one. I'm not too sure what direction that street is trying to take with the loss of Downcity. I'm glad American Apparel stayed, but with the abundance of educational interests on that small section between Empire and Dorrance I don't know what the next move would be.

Why? Couldn't you look at it as an anchor block for the west side of that section of Westminster? My friend and I were walking down Westminster last Friday night and it seems to me that the movement is towards establishments like Tazza and the Black Rep. You know, cool hangouts rather than a restaurant. Westminster is certainly more vibrant now than it ever in the last 10 years that I've lived in Providence. Granted it'd be nice to have a restaurant open perhaps, but I think the block around AS220 has developed into a certain style that seems to be working well.

You say that it's been proven that Providence is having a real tough time establishing specialty districts yet the block you pointed too is exactly that. Living where I do and patronizing these establishments as much as I do I have to tell you that the vast majority of the folks I associate with and surround myself with that frequent these establishments certainly like how the block is evolving. There are several restaurants, AS220, the new theater and Trinity right across the street. Westminster is slowly starting to come back to life. Some business will succeed some will fail, but at least we have something happening. It was nice to see people hanging out, chatting and giving the street some badly needed vibrancy.

Weybosset? Well, I've got to say that I agree with you on that one. I'm not too sure what direction that street is trying to take with the loss of Downcity. I'm glad American Apparel stayed, but with the abundance of educational interests on that small section between Empire and Dorrance I don't know what the next move would be.

KRC....Let's get this straight please. There are no specialty districts in Providence.....except for the Allens Ave. sex district. (apologize for the snappy tone...maybe Federal Hill as Little Italy could be but you would never know that now...) I'm merely suggesting that Cornish try to lure a sit down restaurant to one of their many properties that are available. The problem is that they have all their space catered for retail. ...I think their direction has to evolve with time and market conditions. I think Ari hinted this in the affirmative, but he has been less frequently posting ....Maybe he's busy with new changes. Bravo is doing well and is a great addition, but I hate to see vacant space lining Westminster while Empire and Washington are crammed w/ restaurants. A good sit-down restaurant may be all Westminster needs to garner more attention.

KRC....Let's get this straight please. There are no specialty districts in Providence.....except for the Allens Ave. sex district. (apologize for the snappy tone...maybe Federal Hill as Little Italy could be but you would never know that now...) I'm merely suggesting that Cornish try to lure a sit down restaurant to one of their many properties that are available. The problem is that they have all their space catered for retail. ...I think their direction has to evolve with time and market conditions. I think Ari hinted this in the affirmative, but he has been less frequently posting ....Maybe he's busy with new changes. Bravo is doing well and is a great addition, but I hate to see vacant space lining Westminster while Empire and Washington are crammed w/ restaurants. A good sit-down restaurant may be all Westminster needs to garner more attention.

For what its worth Westminster does have L'Epicurio. However, they seem to be struggling (I am not attributing this to location). My wife and I went during restaurant week on a Saturday night during peak dining hours and the place was only half full. In contrast, Gracies (our prefferred destination) was booked solid several days in advance.

I beg to differ.

We have the Theatre District on Empire which is coming along quite nicely thanks to AS220 and Bravo. We have Restaurant Row on Federal Hill and I would indeed also label that Little Italy, though not so many Italians actually live on Atwells anymore (and not many Italians still live in Boston and New York's Little Italys either) but many (most?) of the restuarants are Italian-ish. Allens Ave. could indeed be called the Adult District and I see nothing wrong with having an Adult District and think Allens Ave. is a good place for it. Thayer is the College District though the retail is going through a period of transition. Wickenden is an Antique and Cafe District. Broad Street is the Latin American District. North Main for better or worse is the Big Box Shopping District. Benefit Street is the Historic District. Armory is the western Historic District. Eastern Westminster is the Financial/Office District. The Jewelry District and Richmond Street area are the Entertaiment District.

I know what can and will be said about my above examples, they are ill-defined and hard to imagine if you don't live here and none are fully fleshed out. After half a century of neglect I'm astounded that any part of the city is as nice and functional as they are.

Just because Westminster's identity hasn't completely gelled yet doesn't mean things need to stop in the rest of the city, or that Westminster itself has failed. It's only been a little over two years since Westminster really started its transformation, and its still going to take years to see it live up to its full potential. Ari has indeed said he's got some big things he's almost ready to announce (waiting for various inks to dry) and he shared some things in confidence at the meeting we had this week (though to keep his bosses happy if they are reading, he didn't name any names or be too terribly specific about the players involved).

I beg to differ.

Actually, I think everyone posting is partially correct here. Cotuit is right that there very much are specialty districts, but Jerry is right that they aren't formally defined, not "official," underdeveloped, and hardly thriving in all cases. They're also nearly invisible if you are newly visiting the city and don't know it intimately. I strongly believe Providence needs to define those districts and neighborhoods better and start doing zoning and planning that makes Cotuit's descriptions flourishing realities rather than subtle teases...

Just because Westminster's identity hasn't completely gelled yet doesn't mean things need to stop in the rest of the city, or that Westminster itself has failed. It's only been a little over two years since Westminster really started its transformation, and its still going to take years to see it live up to its full potential.

Agreed. Westminster is still very, very much a work in progress. It's got Grant's Block, 110, and Cathedral Square removal ahead of it as but three of many big impact initiatives stretching far into the future. However, I think Jerry is correct that Westminster does need one or two hip, vibrant sit down restaurants to bring a bit more traffic to the street. The ratio of times I've been downtown to go to Washington vs Westminster vs Weybosset is probably 5:2:1.

And if L'Epicureo isn't doing well, it's mostly of its own doing, not Westminster's fault. Its appearance and signage is far too subtle and many, many people I know who have gone have not had flattering reviews. They are one of the few restaurants I've called in the city who will charge you if you need to cancel or change a reservation, making them inappropriate for me to book my division's visiting guests (whose often fluctuating travel schedules can make such rock solid reservation predictions impossible).

And kudos to Cornish (Bravo, Gracies, Cuban), Trinity Rep, and AS220 for transforming Washington/Empire into one of the most vibrant and interesting streets in the city!

- Garris

http://www.projo.com/opinion/editorials/co...er.1acfff4.html

from the article:

"Meanwhile, coming up soon are three more projects: a 40-story condo tower in the Financial District, a garage-and-condo project in the Downcity district, and a condo complex north of One Citizens Plaza (the city's last major office tower, completed in 1991). These three major initiatives plus the proposal for the 22-story tower with garage"

40 stroy tower = 110

garage and condo in downcity = not sure??

condo complex just north of Citizens = not sure, but from the article it's not H2O place???

40 story tower = 110

Garage and condo in downcity = Grant's Block on Westminster

Condo complex just north of Citizens = Probably Waterplace. Since it's only one block away, I think "just North" is an adequate description,

- Garris

Archived