Enough Already

monsoon

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've kind of enjoyed this hot summer. But, the only reason for that is because we built an in-ground pool toward the end of last summer and didn't get to use it much last year. It has really been nice this summer to go out after dinner and float around in the pool for a while. Although for the past couple of weeks, the water temp has risen to around 90 degrees, and its not nearly as refreshing as it is when the water temp is around 80 degrees.

Normally though, I HATE hot weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've kind of enjoyed this hot summer. But, the only reason for that is because we built an in-ground pool toward the end of last summer and didn't get to use it much last year. It has really been nice this summer to go out after dinner and float around in the pool for a while. Although for the past couple of weeks, the water temp has risen to around 90 degrees, and its not nearly as refreshing as it is when the water temp is around 80 degrees.

Normally though, I HATE hot weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A nice cool pool would be very refreshing right now!

:shades:

The perfect temperature is between 70 and 80 for me. Lower 60's and I'm a bit chilly, but that's just because I was born and raised in Florida, so cold weather isn't in my blood. I'm personally more of a sandcastle guy than a snowman guy. Upper 90's is only ok when swimming.

If it was possible for a human to Hibernate from Independence Day till Labor Day, I'd be very tempted to do it!!

(Likewise between New Years and St. Patty's Day...lol)

NC's best seasons are definitely spring and fall and I always look forward to both!

In our state, September is still summer. It gets cold at night, but it's still quite toasty during the day.

Actually MR, it depends upon where you are in the state. NC is a large state in which the climate varies greatly from west to east, north to south. In higher elevations and the northern tier, it will be much cooler than the southeast portion of the state and coastal plain. Generally, meteorological autumn begins in NC and all temperate climate locations in September. While, hot weather occurs in September, it is almost always short-lived in duration. In fact, true heatwaves, defined by three consecutive days of 90 degrees or higher, are rare in North Carolina after Labor Day. Moreover, the longer nights and drier dew points mean that temperatures often dip into the chilly 50's and 40's in September, as opposed to the muggy upper 60's and 70's of August. It is the shortness of the duration of heat and the chillier nights that distinguishe September from July and August. In fact, some of the higher elevations may even high scattered frost oftentimes by the end of September. Most of all, there is a marked reduction in humidity in September, a time when the air is clearer, the nights crisper, and the days not so muggy.

Is anyone here tired of the hot humid weather? I am, and its still only early August. At least here in Charlotte its been so humid over the last month I think you could cut the air with a knife.

I'm not from NC, but let me just say that we Georgian's feel your pain as well.

Another wonderful Southern summer, isn't it? I'd hate to be a high school or college football player right about now--same goes for professional sports.

Here in GA, it'll probably get a little cooler, or at least less humid, sometime in September.

• 3 weeks later...

As expected, as August draws to a close, summer is in sharp decline as the unofficial beginning of Autumn begins:

STEVE LYTTLE

[email protected]

Will today go down in the books as the last day of "real summer" in the Charlotte metro region?

Forecasters aren't sure, but they say there are signs of autumn-like changes in the weather patterns -- and that today's hot and steamy conditions will be the last for a while in our area.

With a high pressure system locked in place over the Carolinas Piedmont today and plenty of humidity in place, today will be a very steamy summer day.

"There won't be many clouds in the Piedmont, because the center of the high pressure will be over that area," said Scott Krentz, of the National Weather Service office in Greer, S.C. "And there will be low-level humidity locked in place."

That means high temperatures in the lower 90's and dew point temperatures high enough to create a Heat Index -- the combined impact of heat and humidity -- near 100 degrees today.

But that could be the end of it, at least for a while.

A cold front will approach the region from the north later tonight and early Wednesday.

"That will increase the amount of cloudiness and the chance of showers and thunderstorms," Krentz said.

And that means high temperatures Wednesday will be held to the middle or upper 80's.

Then Thursday, with the stalled cold front nearby and Tropical Storm Ernesto approaching from the south, highs are only forecast to be in the 70's.

Even after Ernesto moves north of the region by the weekend, cooler weather will be left behind.

"A rather cool high pressure system will be building southward from the Great Lakes area and Northeast," Krentz said.

He said that for the last week or so, weather patterns in the northern United States and southern Canada have been taking on a fall-like pattern.

"We're seeing more storm systems moving across that area, just like you would expect in autumn," he said. "It's only a matter of time before those systems begin moving south."

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15388249.htm

Is anyone here tired of the hot humid weather? I am, and its still only early August. At least here in Charlotte its been so humid over the last month I think you could cut the air with a knife.

Growing up here in NC, I do NOT remember it being this unbearable, and that was with frequent travels to colder places for comparison. I left for Texas in '94, and subsequently grew to hate being outdoors. It gets really hot there, and in Houston it gets awefully humid in addition to really hot. I have yet to be in Florida when it is worse, since Florida usually wins those humidity awards. Anyway, couldn't wait to get back to NC, told my wife from Wisconsin how much better it was back here in NC, that it snowed occasionally, etc. Well, we've been back a little over a year now, and it didn't snow last winter in GSO, and both summers have now been about as bad as I remember in Houston. This past 4th of July was OKish, but last year the 4th (in Faith, NC) was like 115 degrees with index, I kid you not. That just isn't right. I guess I'll have to move to upland Maryland to get back to what I remember..

One thing that's gotten me this Summer is the fact that it doesn't cool off at night. Pretty much I know that from late May through mid-September the temperatures are going to be around 90 to 100 degrees. But in the past it's always gotten down to around 72, or maybe even 69-70. This year though, the lows have been like 77 and 78. There was one night recently where the heat index didn't get below 85. That's what kills me. I can't believe Charlotte is only going to be in the 70s tommorrow. I'm so jealous. :cry:

NC's best seasons are definitely spring and fall and I always look forward to both!

That makes two of us. I can't wait to get back on my bike and head down the American Tobacco Trail. This heat is too much for me.

Archived