Sky High

Justiceham

The Sky is the limit  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these cities will receive a sky scraper first?

• Clarksville
    • Murfreesboro
    • Jackson
    • Johnson City
    • Franklin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to go with Clarksville out of respect to its size, growth, and character, but it would take as others have mentioned an entity willing to invest in making a skyscraper happen. Murfreesboro seems most likely to see more vertical growth in the near-term as things stand now IMO. However, if the right corporate entities find their home in any of these cities any of them could see a highrise or two.

I would like to see Jackson get some height, but it needs infill and revitalization way before it thinks about going up.

I would like to go with Clarksville out of respect to its size, growth, and character, but it would take as others have mentioned an entity willing to invest in making a skyscraper happen. Murfreesboro seems most likely to see more vertical growth in the near-term as things stand now IMO. However, if the right corporate entities find their home in any of these cities any of them could see a highrise or two.

I would like to see Jackson get some height, but it needs infill and revitalization way before it thinks about going up.

I think you bring up something to consider, Rural King. Which of these cities has the greatest "Corporate Culture?" I think the Franklin/Cool Springs/Bentwood area has enough Corporate moguls that the community at large would be more receptive to a skyscraper. I may be wrong but I would assume many Corporations would want to relocate in areas that have such an established "Corporate Culture." Of course, there are other uses for skyscrapers such as Residential and particularly for older people and Clarksville, Murfreesboro, Jackson or one of the other cities might build one of those but insofar as a large Corporation building a gleaming new highrise HQ? I think maybe Franklin or that vicinity might be the first and Murfreesboro is, I think, gaining a "Corporate Culture." I think Clarksville lags behind in this area and is still very much a "Blue Collar" town.

And Clarksville was voted as one of the most affordable places in the country to live. Therefore, that means cheap and blue collar. And that may be the case on a few sides of town. But, the Sango area has an average home price comparable to many of Nashville's upscale neighborhoods.

Edited by miami1855

• 2 weeks later...

And Clarksville was voted as one of the most affordable places in the country to live. Therefore, that means cheap and blue collar. And that may be the case on a few sides of town. But, the Sango area has an average home price comparable to many of Nashville's upscale neighborhoods.

I found some really nice new neighborhoods being built in the Warfield Blvd./Basham Lane areas but these seem to be built by the same developer whoever that may be. These, of course, all have a large entrance gate and the streets all have period lighting. There is another one of those neighborhoods very close to Richview Middle School. I also recall the Parade of Homes once was held in a neighborhood just off the Exit 11 Interstate Connector Road in Sango.

My last visit I decided to venture down Tiny Town Road as that road is always mentioned as being where so much new residential development is occurring. I was really unsure as to exactly where this road was located and cannot say that I have ever been on it. Well, wow! Talk about explosive growth! There were new homes and neighborhoods by the thousands it seemed, yet, I also came away wondering how these will look 25 years down the road and whether or not these new neighborhoods will be places where people will WANT to live one, two, or three decades from now.

I tell you a truth; There is so much to Clarksville now with which I am so unfamiliar. It is hard to drive around the newer parts without getting turned around or lost.

Johnson City has a couple of tall buildings already, but really not quite at the "skyscraper" classification. They are around 10-11 stories high. About the same as Bristol, but Bristol has about 4 or 5 buildings around 10-11 stories high already. I am waiting for the 20+ story one. :)

Edited by Tennesseestorm

• 1 month later...

Johnson City has a couple of tall buildings already, but really not quite at the "skyscraper" classification. They are around 10-11 stories high. About the same as Bristol, but Bristol has about 4 or 5 buildings around 10-11 stories high already. I am waiting for the 20+ story one. :)

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay in reply. I had not been back to this topic. I do not even know if Bristol is going to get a 20 story building now. There was talk of a 15-25 story hotel building near downtown, but I have not heard anything else about it. :rolleyes:

I even e-mailed the city and a lady replied and said there was no use for building that tall around here yet.

They should have combined two of our 11 story buildings. :D

I've seen a few aerials of Johnson City and I was quite surprised. The clustered chunky effect of the downtown was nice to see. Where is Bristol's 20 story tower going?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I heard again today that a 20-25 story tower was possible in Bristol. I wish they would make up their mind. :) I keep hearing that it is supposed to be a hotel. :unsure:

It would make sense though. They could easily make money, especially if they put it near downtown (which would be excellent, since it is between I-81 and BMS. Nearly 180,000 out of towners (race fans) go to the Bristol race TWO times a year and they have to lodge in areas as far out as 100-150 miles, which is crazy. There are not just that many hotels in the metro area. Well, they are several, but no really large ones. The largest ones are near Exit 7 and one is 5 and the other is 10 stories. There are a couple of others up there- around 5 stories.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=holida...-bristol-va-usa

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=courty...-bristol-va-usa

These are right off of exit 7 I-81.

I am ready for a 20+ in downtown Bristol! HINT HINT! :D

Before I am too old to enjoy seeing it. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's really best for Memphis and Nashville both that none of these cities build sky scrapers. I believe that it would be better for the image of our state if its two major cities kept the skyscrapers to themselves. That may sound selfish, but I was visiting Dallas the other day, and, as nice as their skyline is, it would be even nicer if they didn't let their subburbs build, but rather build them in downtown Dallas.

That's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it. Memphis' Skyline would be much nicer if it would not have let East Memphis and Germantown build all of their highrises, but rather in downtown Memphis.

It's really best for Memphis and Nashville both that none of these cities build sky scrapers. I believe that it would be better for the image of our state if its two major cities kept the skyscrapers to themselves. That may sound selfish, but I was visiting Dallas the other day, and, as nice as their skyline is, it would be even nicer if they didn't let their subburbs build, but rather build them in downtown Dallas.

That's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it. Memphis' Skyline would be much nicer if it would not have let East Memphis and Germantown build all of their highrises, but rather in downtown Memphis.

• 2 months later...

^I agree. By not allowing other cities to build highrises, you are throwing away business for the cities and identifying Nashville and Memphis as being the only cities of importance. Because Murfreesboro is far enough away and has a diverse population, I don't see why it can't have any skyscrapers of its own, same goes for Clarksville. Murfreesboro has hired a new main street director. The city should realize that it does not have to succomb to suburban development, just because it's a fast buck. You will hear more urban projects announced such as 315 Main and the like because there is a market for this type of development. There are new people moving here from as far away as New York. Our city council is admittedly old fashioned, but, hopefully with the elections coming up, the population will elect people who have "real" experience with urban development.

• 1 month later...

With regards to the Nashville area, I don't think there will be any skyscrapers (20 stories or > 250') any time soon. There is too much room to spread out and build office parks or campuses. Nissan's choice to build a 10 story building in Cool Springs, when they could have anchored a new 40 story building in downtown Nashville, shows that suburban mid-rises are the desired option for most companies.

But anyway, Franklin has height restrictions on buildings (limit to about 10-11 stories) and Murfreesboro has plenty of room to spread out.

Johnson City is densly built with little room to add an office park, but there is not a lot of growth going on.

I could see Jackson developing some considerable mid-rise office space as it is growing and becoming a regional city and there is a dearth of Class A space available. But, with room to pread out, I don't see a need for a skyscraper. Plus all the growth is in the I-40 cooridor.

Clarksville has a similar outlook as Jackson and may get a mid-rise office park near I-24, if some stable ground can be found.

But, back to the question, if one of these cities were to get a skyscaper, I think it would be Mufreesboro.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe someone earlier made a statement about dallas/fort worth. I think Nashville/Franklin would be more appropriate considering they (the media) already considers Cool Springs as Nashville. Ex. Nissan North America is not in Nashville; however the media says it is. Most of the companies moving to Middle Tennessee are moving to Franklin.

IMO Franklin will get the 1st 20+ high rise outside of the 4 majors.

• 1 year later...

I believe someone earlier made a statement about dallas/fort worth. I think Nashville/Franklin would be more appropriate considering they (the media) already considers Cool Springs as Nashville. Ex. Nissan North America is not in Nashville; however the media says it is. Most of the companies moving to Middle Tennessee are moving to Franklin.

IMO Franklin will get the 1st 20+ high rise outside of the 4 majors.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...