Fort Defience receives grant

Fallingwater

Fort Defience in Clarksville will be the beneficiary of nearly $2,000,000 in State Grants from the Tennessee Department of Transportation Enhancement. The money will fund a new pedestrian walking trail from the Fort to the Red River as well as a 1.3 million dollar interpretation center. The pedestrian trail will eventually link the fort to the Clarksville Riverwalk via a pedestrian bridge to be built over the Red River where it joins the Cumberland River.

The fort has a history dating back to the Revolutionary War era but is most known as the place where Confederate troops had gun batterys overlooking the Cumberland in order to fire upon Union gunboats that were victorious at Ft. Donelson during the Civil War. The fort was used to protect Clarksville from Union occupation. However, the gunboats came and the battle never materialized leaving Clarksville to surrender (Nashville did the same thing) and be occupied.

It was reported that "It's been estimated that a restored Fort Defiance and upgraded site could alone bring in 45,000 visitors annually and generate $11.3 million in tourism revenue for the community. Paired with the new $40 million Wings of Liberty Military Museum off Tiny Town Road, this will help to put the Clarksville area on the map for American history buffs who love to travel to areas that present a window to the past."

The Wings of Liberty Museum rendering:

wolmus.jpg

Can't say that I am pleased with the design of this Museum but having enough light should not be a problem - ha. All I know about it is that the Museum will have an IMAX theatre.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was reported that "It's been estimated that a restored Fort Defiance and upgraded site could alone bring in 45,000 visitors annually and generate $11.3 million in tourism revenue for the community. Paired with the new $40 million Wings of Liberty Military Museum off Tiny Town Road, this will help to put the Clarksville area on the map for American history buffs who love to travel to areas that present a window to the past."

The Wings of Liberty Museum rendering:

wolmus.jpg

Can't say that I am pleased with the design of this Museum but having enough light should not be a problem - ha. All I know about it is that the Museum will have an IMAX theatre.

My goodness, which direction will the glass wall face? And what will it overlook?

My goodness, which direction will the glass wall face? And what will it overlook?

I believe the structure is to be built facing Ft. Campbell Blvd. so it will probably be facing East if that be the case. There is supposed to be warplanes and helicopters hanging in the air within that space as well as tanks and other ground weaponry situated on the floor. I'm not sure about any of that though.

I think it will overlook Ft. Campbell Blvd. and a historic site known as Sevier Station which is a small Revolutionary war building surrounded by a small park situated between the North and South bound lanes of Ft. Campbell Blvd.

This is awesome. I will certainly make the trip up there to see this great museum!!!!!

I think it is still in the preliminary planning phase but according to the Wings of Liberty Museum website contracts are being signed.

There are renderings, models and other information available on the website but the layout renderings have printing that is so small that I cannot discern the street names or any information pertaining to its exact location. It will be built on land which is considered "on post" but will be facing Hwy. 41A (Ft. Campbell Blvd.) and will have a civillian entrance. Ft. Campbell already has a museum on post but is not freely accessible to the public which hurt its popularity insofar as visitors and tourists numbers. This museum corrects that problem. The current Pratt Museum has much more artifacts than it can show so this new museum will allow a more full showing and will include both modern and vintage weaponry and aircraft as well as captured artifacts dating back to WW II. I would love to see the IMAX presentation.

Judging from the layout, though, it looks to be at a point on 41A where north and south bound lanes separate and it shows a building in the middle of the Hwy. so I think this can only be in reference to that Seveir Station historical building and park which would be located between Ft. Campbell gates 2 and 4 (the main gate).

Archived