Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anniekbe

Knoxville's Sunsphere

42 posts in this topic

Because it's so energy inefficient and parking considerations, they don't think they'll be able to open it as a full-time restaurant. Personally, I think that they should just bite the bullet and make the modifications necessary to open it as a full-time restaurant. They're talking about just having it for special events, but I think people should be able to go up at any time. At the very least, they should open the observation deck again. I've heard strange rumors about it, such as the top half of it has lots of pigeons living in it and it's full of feathers and bird poop. Whatever the case, it's a landmark that everyone in Knoxville should be able to enjoy on a continuous basis.

Here is an article about it. If you don't want to register for KnoxNews.com, just google the link and click on "Cached" under the search result.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/art...4776600,00.html

I sure hope they get something together and reopen the structure. I would love to have another chance to go up in it. I have been in the building before at the Worlds Fair, but I do not remember doing it, I was 2 years old.

^I went to the World's Fair, too (I was 8). I didn't get the chance to go up in it, though, but got a souvenir poster of it. :P

It's a crying shame that the sunsphere is not open to the public and I really hope they can get the restaurant proposal off the ground. I think it would be in the best interest of Knoxville, if the city helped get this project "off the ground".

I think it's just the design of the glass that pulls in the sun and doesn't let the heat escape, like how your car gets hot from sitting in the sun with the windows up.

I think it's just the design of the glass that pulls in the sun and doesn't let the heat escape, like how your car gets hot from sitting in the sun with the windows up.

Guess that would make it the Bake-U-Sphere. :lol:

What's the point in having such an icon if it can't be used as originally envisaged ?

You know, it's easy to forget that Knoxville hosted a World's Fair. That puts the city in heady company.

Wasn't that Fair about Energy Efficiency?

Indeed it was. They were touting the benefits of the biggest fad of the late '70s/early '80s, solar power.

Indeed it was. They were touting the benefits of the biggest fad of the late '70s/early '80s, solar power.

So they have solar powered heating in the Sunsphere. LOL

There is a story in this morning News Sentinel regarding the Sunsphere.

http://knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/article...4938299,00.html

Plans revealed for Sunsphere future

By SCOTT BARKER, [email protected]

August 23, 2006

A new proposal for rekindling life into the Sunsphere at World

seems like some simple window tinting could solve the heat problem. And talk about being efficient in the winter!

It really needs to be protected. It was such a big part of the city when I was a child, and still is. Knoxville wouldn't be the same without it, it wouldn't be my hometown anymore.

The Marriott Hotel at the Shoals renovated the Reinassance (sp?) Tower in Florence, AL and turned it back into a rotating restaurant when Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail put in two courses there. I'm sure they can renovate the Sunsphere.

I see the candy factory next to Sunsphere is getting converted to condos. That area of DT has so much potential.

Tear the damn think down... I recently moved to knoxville and find it to be a total eye sore and embarrasment.

ok...??? :shok:

The Sunsphere is a part of Knoxville's history and wil not be going anywhere.

Fix it up and it wil be a good draw.

Tear the damn think down... I recently moved to knoxville and find it to be a total eye sore and embarrasment.

I want to go up in the thing before it's gone! Even if demo were an option, they can

Maybe if it were taller..... but its not even 300'. Whats the point in saving it...... History?

Are you kidding me? No way should they ever tear down the sunsphere. That is the symbol of the 1982 World's Fair that was held in little 'ol Knoxville. In case you don't know, up until then, world's fairs had only been held in major world cities much larger than Knoxville, such as New York, Chicago, London and Paris. A few had been held in"smaller" cities such as St. Louis or Seattle.

How can you say that. The Sunsphere makes Knoxville's skyline, well, Knoxville's Skyline. Paris has the Eiffel Tower, New York has the Statue of Liberty, Chicago has the Sears Tower, London has Big Ben, San Fran has the bridge, Knoxville has the Sunsphere. It just doesn't make sense to tear it down.

Maybe if it were taller..... but its not even 300'. Whats the point in saving it...... History?