Knoxville's Sunsphere

anniekbe

Because it's so energy inefficient and parking considerations, they don't think they'll be able to open it as a full-time restaurant. Personally, I think that they should just bite the bullet and make the modifications necessary to open it as a full-time restaurant. They're talking about just having it for special events, but I think people should be able to go up at any time. At the very least, they should open the observation deck again. I've heard strange rumors about it, such as the top half of it has lots of pigeons living in it and it's full of feathers and bird poop. Whatever the case, it's a landmark that everyone in Knoxville should be able to enjoy on a continuous basis.

Here is an article about it. If you don't want to register for KnoxNews.com, just google the link and click on "Cached" under the search result.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/local_news/art...4776600,00.html

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really needs to be protected. It was such a big part of the city when I was a child, and still is. Knoxville wouldn't be the same without it, it wouldn't be my hometown anymore.

The Marriott Hotel at the Shoals renovated the Reinassance (sp?) Tower in Florence, AL and turned it back into a rotating restaurant when Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail put in two courses there. I'm sure they can renovate the Sunsphere.

ok...??? :shok:

The Sunsphere is a part of Knoxville's history and wil not be going anywhere.

Fix it up and it wil be a good draw.

Tear the damn think down... I recently moved to knoxville and find it to be a total eye sore and embarrasment.

Tear the damn think down... I recently moved to knoxville and find it to be a total eye sore and embarrasment.

Are you kidding me? No way should they ever tear down the sunsphere. That is the symbol of the 1982 World's Fair that was held in little 'ol Knoxville. In case you don't know, up until then, world's fairs had only been held in major world cities much larger than Knoxville, such as New York, Chicago, London and Paris. A few had been held in"smaller" cities such as St. Louis or Seattle.

• 2 weeks later...

How can you say that. The Sunsphere makes Knoxville's skyline, well, Knoxville's Skyline. Paris has the Eiffel Tower, New York has the Statue of Liberty, Chicago has the Sears Tower, London has Big Ben, San Fran has the bridge, Knoxville has the Sunsphere. It just doesn't make sense to tear it down.

• 2 months later...

Archived