North State bank in downtown Raleigh?

DwnTwnRaleighGuy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does WTVD 11 still have their sign/studio in this building, or did all that move to the Hudson studio?

I think a lawyer just moved into the space that was the print shop on the ground floor too.

Seeing a North State Bank sign on the building would add to downtown's banking collection -- RBC, First Citizens, Capital Bank, Wachovia, BB&T, and Bank of America.

I deifnitely think so - I've spoken with other board members that post over on SSC and they had a great idea - tear down the First Citizens and the old Wachovia building and rebuild something huge - thats a perfect spot for a nice tower, plus both of those buildings are beyond hideous.

I deifnitely think so - I've spoken with other board members that post over on SSC and they had a great idea - tear down the First Citizens and the old Wachovia building and rebuild something huge - thats a perfect spot for a nice tower, plus both of those buildings are beyond hideous.

On the Raleigh Wide Open night/July 29, I was looking at these buildings and noticed that the First Citizens building itself only goes half way back and runs into the Mecca Rest. Where as the old (Ugly) Wachovia building does go all the way back to Wilmington street. At first thought I don't like the idea of tearing down the building that the Mecca is in but would love for First Citizens to show up every other bank on F. St. and build a big one! :D

Now before anyone says anything about First Citizens not coming back downtown, I question you to think, "Have they have taken a notice of the other banking activity going on downtown?" Maybe that's why they have put there HQ's on hold at North Hills? :huh:

That would be THE spot for the future tallest in DT. I have been told that Wachovia's old building is full of asbestos and may be tough to renovate. Keeping the 4 or 5 older buildings where Mecca is and only using the FC building lot and old Wach. would allow for an excellent opportunity for someone to build an architecturally significant building with a shape other than square. (Otherwise known as a signature tower). The Mecca section could provide some of the charm and human scale while the new tower could add to our skyline.

Great. Now all we need to do is convince First Citizens to move back downtown. How hard could that be? :blink:

Market and Exchange Plaza were once Raleigh Streets...not sure who holds title now but city ownership of these parcesl might complicate stitching Wachovia and First Citizens sites, though I like the idea....I am quite happy that everyone wants to preserve the Mecca block too...two of those four date to c. 1880.

Market and Exchange Plaza were once Raleigh Streets...not sure who holds title now but city ownership of these parcesl might complicate stitching Wachovia and First Citizens sites, though I like the idea....I am quite happy that everyone wants to preserve the Mecca block too...two of those four date to c. 1880.

That entire block, except for the Mecca section and the Times Bar section, needs to be redone. It is by far the weakest part of Fayetteville St.

Archived