St. Mary's Tower

memphica

I really like the renderings of St. Marys Tower. This seems to be a mostly glass building which I like to mix the modern with the old. Another think I like about it, is that it seems to have a crown on it with an antena of some sort on top. I really like that the towers going downtown right now are residential, for one it will give a company insentive to place an office tower downtown with all the additional residential space. The other with it being residential at night it will be lite up making our skyline look wonderful! SO HOW DO YOU ALL LIKE THE NEW TOWER ?

PS Looks like gaushell and Paradigm Productions needs to help them on their renderings i'd like to see a more realistic colored one, i'm sure there is one to come.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Photos:

stmarys3.jpg

stmarys5.jpg

I like it! It certainly will change the current lack of height between the UP Tower (can't shake the name haha) and the Pyramid. I like how the skyline is expanding greatly! We're going to have a fairly dense skyline from the Pyramid all the way down to the Horizon Towers/Candy Factory Towers (which is getting height approval and whose developers were at a One Beale function last night)

Photos:

stmarys3.jpg

stmarys5.jpg

I like it! It certainly will change the current lack of height between the UP Tower (can't shake the name haha) and the Pyramid. I like how the skyline is expanding greatly! We're going to have a fairly dense skyline from the Pyramid all the way down to the Horizon Towers/Candy Factory Towers (which is getting height approval and whose developers were at a One Beale function last night)

I like it too for all the reasons stated. I especially like that it's not a circular cylinder, but oval. That's pretty slick. We need diversity in the structures we have, and this helps out along with One Beale.

Can't wait to hear more about the Candy Factory Towers.

I like it too for all the reasons stated. I especially like that it's not a circular cylinder, but oval. That's pretty slick. We need diversity in the structures we have, and this helps out along with One Beale.

Can't wait to hear more about the Candy Factory Towers.

Here's a tidbit...they're going to be in the 27-30 story range like One Beale...probably not as sleek as One Beale, but one thing that is being talked about is how they won't face any issues about height (apart from a height restriction that will be lifted)

Can anyone remember this much activity going on with high rise towers in the history of our city?? Or at least in our lifetime. This is very exciting, if everything went well and swiftly our skyline would be full of cranes it would look like a new city was being built. Someone in the know let me ask this. How likely are the candy factory towers? And has anything been released publicly? I sure dont want to keep my hopes up as high as they are right now that be like hearing Santa Claus crashed into waterford place and Pat Tigrett was sueing him for everything. :cry:

Photos:

stmarys3.jpg

stmarys5.jpg

Am I missing something here ? Is this a new tower or is it a recladded UP tower ?

This is a really nice looking project! Is this being built for the Church? Will it be office or residential?

Residential...27 floors of luxury housing on top of ground floor retail/restaurant space. An office component in nearly all of the recently announced, large-scale DT projects has been minimal or non-existent.

here's the article -- http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/documents/stmanrys.pdf

Can anyone remember this much activity going on with high rise towers in the history of our city?? Or at least in our lifetime.

Not since the early 1970s when you had...

Clark Tower - 1972

One Commerce Square (Suntrust) - 1973

Hilton East Memphis - 1975

Of course, 2 of those are in East Memphis. For downtown construction, it would be the 60s...

Clifford Davis Federal Building - 1963

First National (Tennessee) Bank - 1963

100 North Main (UP Building) - 1965

Donnelly Hill State Office Building - 1965

99 Tower Place Apartments - 1968

Shelby County Administration Building - 1969

...which wasn't in my lifetime, however.

stmarys3.jpg

stmarys5.jpg

Thumbs Up!!!! Let's get this one built.

Not since the early 1970s when you had...

Clark Tower - 1972

One Commerce Square (Suntrust) - 1973

Hilton East Memphis - 1975

Of course, 2 of those are in East Memphis. For downtown construction, it would be the 60s...

Clifford Davis Federal Building - 1963

First National (Tennessee) Bank - 1963

100 North Main (UP Building) - 1965

Donnelly Hill State Office Building - 1965

99 Tower Place Apartments - 1968

Shelby County Administration Building - 1969

...which wasn't in my lifetime, however.

Thumbs Up!!!! Let's get this one built.

The great thing is that there ie downtown growth that is occurring along with growth in east Memphis (at least apparently so, whether the projects in East Memphis get off the ground to the extent of downtown is another issue).

so by "like Petronas" do you mean "skybridge halfway up between the two?"

i wonder how much more the market can handle, if all of this stuff comes to fruition...

According to northernbizzkit the plan is twin 30-story buildings with a sky bridge connecting the two at around the twentieth floor or so. The number the market can handle is unknown. Lots of people are buying weekend homes here and Germantown is expected to see a population drop as the empty nesters decide to give up their yards and move downtown. Some retirees from midwest/northeasters are making the move to Memphis to avoid the snow and don't want to deal with the hurricanes and gators of Florida. But this doesn't mean

downtown will become a huge retirement home.

Its also becoming a hotspot for young, single professionals because of the "FRIENDS lifestyle" fad. Who knows how much Downtown can hold. These developers have done more research than us so they should know what their doing.

According to northernbizzkit the plan is twin 30-story buildings with a sky bridge connecting the two at around the twentieth floor or so. The number the market can handle is unknown. Lots of people are buying weekend homes here and Germantown is expected to see a population drop as the empty nesters decide to give up their yards and move downtown. Some retirees from midwest/northeasters are making the move to Memphis to avoid the snow and don't want to deal with the hurricanes and gators of Florida. But this doesn't mean

downtown will become a huge retirement home.

Its also becoming a hotspot for young, single professionals because of the "FRIENDS lifestyle" fad. Who knows how much Downtown can hold. These developers have done more research than us so they should know what their doing.

I agree and can attest to that. A lot of African Americans are looking to move back South but want to live in a large city and Memphis is the one. A couple of weeks ago I flew to New York to drive a car back to Memphis for a couple that on a trip back to NY got a chance to see the city. They said wow! They are making 6 figures and are ready to retire early. She transferred jobs and is here living with her brother. She already put a contract on a house. Her husband arrives here after Christmas. He is a contractor and help builds skyscrapers. Memphis is a diamond waiting to be freed!!

sweetness. if those twins do rise downtown, Memphis will have some of the most iconic architecture in the nation outside of new york and chicago. the hernando desoto bridge, the pyramid, one beale, and those twins. at least four structures you can look at and go, "there's no doubt where that is."

all we need now is a 600ft. obelisk shaped tower on the old vue site :thumbsup: . and a u of m egyptian antiquities museum on mud island that doubles as a full scale replica of the pharos :alc: . i can dream.

sweetness. if those twins do rise downtown, Memphis will have some of the most iconic architecture in the nation outside of new york and chicago. the hernando desoto bridge, the pyramid, one beale, and those twins. at least four structures you can look at and go, "there's no doubt where that is."

all we need now is a 600ft. obelisk shaped tower on the old vue site :thumbsup: . and a u of m egyptian antiquities museum on mud island that doubles as a full scale replica of the pharos :alc: . i can dream.

Hey, that's a GREAT idea ! :lol:

Nice idea.

Archived