St. Mary's Tower

memphica

When you guys say obelisk, do you mean a Washington Monument type structure or something like One Canada Square?

One_Canada_Square2_small.jpg

I like the idea of an Egyptian/Wonders Museum. Haven't they been looking for a permanent home? Something needs to replace the loss of the Memphis Belle.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you guys say obelisk, do you mean a Washington Monument type structure or something like One Canada Square?

One_Canada_Square2_small.jpg

I like the idea of an Egyptian/Wonders Museum. Haven't they been looking for a permanent home? Something needs to replace the loss of the Memphis Belle.

I was talking along the lines of an obelisk-shaped inhabitable structure (not just a monument tower, but an obelisk-inspired condo, hotel, or office building). Something like One Canada might work, or one of the Financial Center buildings at the WTC. Maybe there's a way to infuse more Egyptian architectural elements into that kind of design.

And Wonders is done, for now. :(. They were looking for a permanent home, but the board decided to close up shop. Maybe there's a way to revive it, have blockbuster exhibitions every other year, something like that. It's a shame it's done.

The St. Mary's design is pretty cool, a little like 100 N. Main but a lot better - it's postmodernism at work again (mimicking another structure).

The oval shape is cool, since we have so many modernist boxes downtown. It'd be nice if the antennas would be a lot higher (Sears Tower maybe?) and have those red lights on them, now that'd be real cool.

I like the design of this project. I think it will fit in pretty well with the rest of the skyline. I do not know a lot about this project, I have been quite busy lately and falling behind on whats going on. Can someone PM me about his project?

I do however think a building like One Canada Square would be an amazing addition to the city skyline and fit in very well I think.

I really like the renderings of St. Marys Tower. This seems to be a mostly glass building which I like to mix the modern with the old. Another think I like about it, is that it seems to have a crown on it with an antena of some sort on top. I really like that the towers going downtown right now are residential, for one it will give a company insentive to place an office tower downtown with all the additional residential space. The other with it being residential at night it will be lite up making our skyline look wonderful! SO HOW DO YOU ALL LIKE THE NEW TOWER ?

PS Looks like gaushell and Paradigm Productions needs to help them on their renderings i'd like to see a more realistic colored one, i'm sure there is one to come.

Thanks for the plug - tell the developer for us!

Good article with a great rendering of what will be called the Trinity Tower and Townhomes. http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...6132800^1332604

Also contained within the story is a new development within the Pinch District. The Pinch project will be a welcome additon to an area with too many vacant surface lots. Given the location described in the article, does this mean the lot next to Mulligan's is the one being developed?

Thats a really attractive building. It actually looks similar to some of the skyscrapers being built in Beirut. Are my eyes decieving me or do I see palm trees on the sidewalk? Looks like the northend of downtowns architecture is becoming more and more inspired by the buildings in the mideast. Mideast on the northend, historic American in the core, and Asian style buildings in the Little Saigon/Crosstown area...You could travel the world via the trolley :D

Thats a really attractive building. It actually looks similar to some of the skyscrapers being built in Beirut. Are my eyes decieving me or do I see palm trees on the sidewalk? Looks like the northend of downtowns architecture is becoming more and more inspired by the buildings in the mideast. Mideast on the northend, historic American in the core, and Asian style buildings in the Little Saigon/Crosstown area...You could travel the world via the trolley :D

Now all they gotta do is blast "It's A Small World After All" from public speakers, and it'll be like you're at DisneyWorld. :lol:

pretty cool stuff... but what is up with the palm trees lol??

They plant then every spring to watch em die in the winter?? lol

There is a palm tree called the Windmill Palm (grows between 20-60 feet) that can handle Memphis' winters and only needs to be covered if the temperature drops below 5* F. However, it grows better if its in the shade of the building during the summer. They grow them in Atlanta so I would think it would fine in Memphis as well.

pretty cool stuff... but what is up with the palm trees lol??

They plant then every spring to watch em die in the winter?? lol

My neighbors have about three palm trees on their front lawn. They're not the tall ones that I've seen in California, but they're palm trees nonetheless. Its interesting that this is the first time I've thought twice about them.... :wacko:

That's a nice-looking tower! Hopefully this project will move fast. Here's the pic from the MBJ...

TrinityTowers.jpg

If they build it, I think it would quickly become a favorite among Memphians. It really is an attractive design.

I also like how they have it oriented diagonally - a welcome change for downtown.

Well, using my very inaccurate measurements of that CAD rendering, I figured out that the person in front of it is about 3/32" tall. Then, the height of the roof is about 4 3/16" tall and the spire is about 5 1/8" tall. When you divide it all out, the ratio of the height of the man to the top of the roof is 1:46, and of the height of man to top of spire is 1:54.66666667. If you assume the man is 6 feet tall, then the the building would be 276 feet to the roof, and 328 feet to the top of the spire. I know this system is very inaccurate, but I just thought I'd share with y'all the best numbers I could figure out.

Archived