St. Mary's Tower

memphica

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Trinity Towers is at the same stage in development [legally] as One Beale--and has arrived there much faster. Both have recently been approved by the LUCB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing left to do before groundbreaking for both of these high rises is to get final approval from the City Council.

I think Trinity Towers is at the same stage in development [legally] as One Beale--and has arrived there much faster. Both have recently been approved by the LUCB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing left to do before groundbreaking for both of these high rises is to get final approval from the City Council.

Charles Gaushell's company, Paradigm Productions, has drawn up elaborate illustrations of the project and created renderings that have been used at public presentations. That kind of job is par for the course for the small graphics firm that works with clients nationwide.

"From an artistic standpoint, it's a lot of fun to play with a building like this," Gaushell said of One Beale. Other examples of his company's work include more than a dozen projects for the Children's Museum of Memphis. One of them was commissioned during CMOM's recent expansion, when Paradigm was asked to produce an air traffic control simulator.

I didnt know you were the CEO of this company, Gaushell

• 1 month later...

I remember walking through that parking lot all of the time when I lived at Uptown Square. I used to tell people how much I wanted someone to build a high-rise there, and figured it was going to remain a surface parking lot indefinitely.

How wrong I was. I hope the CCC made an error and this project stays on track.

• 1 month later...

Rardy, you think this project is a sure no go. Has there been anything said about this in the past couple of weeks? With all the work being done over at St. Jude and all the doctors that will be working there when it is completed, it doesn't seem like it would be too far fetched.

From what I understood about the condos they were going to be around $200,000 and going up. They're enough young people working at first tennessee, morgan keegan, and st jude alone to warrant the completion of this project and that is not mentioning all the other folks that would just like to live in downtown in a more affordable place.

Tell me what y'all think.

What do you think would get the average person back downtown?

I agree that 200,000 is a lot, but it doesn't seem that ridiculous looking at the price ranges of houses around the city. 150,000 to 200,000 can get you a small house in east memphis. I am not too sure about the cordova area and I know germantown and collierville aren't affordable.

Idlewild, you are from the midtown area, correct, what are the prices of homes there? Are they a little more affordable?

Projects like Vue and the one proposed by Riverside Partners [essentially vue's rough draft] should be going up around the core [towards sun studios or other surrounding areas]. If the market for affordable apartments has left the core it can't be too far off.

Agreed.

There is plenty of room for all kinds of development, but amazingly (as seen in the case of the Tennessee Brewery) there is also a fear of density...downtown.

If you don't want tall buildings, why don't you move to East Memphis, instead of two blocks away from a high-rise? It's like people who buy property next to an airport and then complain about the noise.

Putting up more 3-5 story buildings downtown just doesn't make any sense. It's overloaded with them as it is.

What do you think would get the average person back downtown?

I agree that 200,000 is a lot, but it doesn't seem that ridiculous looking at the price ranges of houses around the city. 150,000 to 200,000 can get you a small house in east memphis. I am not too sure about the cordova area and I know germantown and collierville aren't affordable.

Idlewild, you are from the midtown area, correct, what are the prices of homes there? Are they a little more affordable?

• 5 weeks later...
Rardy, you think this project is a sure no go. Has there been anything said about this in the past couple of weeks? With all the work being done over at St. Jude and all the doctors that will be working there when it is completed, it doesn't seem like it would be too far fetched.

From what I understood about the condos they were going to be around $200,000 and going up. They're enough young people working at first tennessee, morgan keegan, and st jude alone to warrant the completion of this project and that is not mentioning all the other folks that would just like to live in downtown in a more affordable place.

Tell me what y'all think.

Archived